1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

pyro install question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pyro install question

I looked over at diesel ram at the install of the pyro probe. It advises to simply drill, tap, and install the probe. After which you simply start the engine and blow any shavings out.

Is this a safe thing to do?

Also I have the 16cm housing waiting to install. Is it likely that after 230k that the turbo will need a rebuild?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2005, 05:57 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I wouldn't do it that way. Do the pyro probe while you have the turbo off for the housing swap, that's the safest way and you need to pull the turbo anyway. Turbos can last dang near forever. As long as they're kept lubricated and you don't let foreign objects get sucked into them they can run indefinitely. As long as yours is not excessively loose or leaking, just do the housing swap and keep driving.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:54 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Generally they run a vacuum and/or grease the drill bit to catch the debris while tapping. I tapped when I did MY housing swap. I had them throw the new housing on when mine was overhauled at about 180ish thousand, but there isn't really a set mileage, just depends on how well it was treated. Check for side to side play, there should be slight in and out play. When you get it off, see if there are any signs of soot in the intake tube, post turbo. An over haul, if needed, should be around $350, so long as it is within tolerance. I think .030. As mentioned in the other thread, if you can afford it, this would probably be a good time to upgrade the compressor wheel too. I think the guy locally here, quoted me $150 or so.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:57 PM

I didnt take mine off to do the install.I just took a small magnet to get all I could.But I agree with Wannadiesel if its going to be off do it then.It's alot smarter way.You never know,i would be a bummer to ruin a turbo.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:03 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Doing it with the turbo off is the safest way to assure no particulate is left to enter the exhaust housing....having said that, I have personally done my share and seen even more done by greasing up the bit and drilling, then cleaning off the bit, regrease and drill some more...after a few cycles of this, you'll break thru.
From there you extend a pencil magnet into the hole and fish any tiny shavings out...then you do the tapping the same way, grease it good and start tapping, remove, clean the tap and continue on.
When you're done with the tapping you go fishing with the magnet again.
Install your probe and when ready start the truck and let it idle for a few moments.... if there are any particles left they'll just blow out the housing outlet harmlessly.

You should not have any problem doing it this way if you want.

bob,..
Old 01-11-2005, 09:01 AM

that is how i did mine. the 4 weeks later i had the turbo off doing the housing swap and everything looks just dandy inside.

jiMMy
Old 01-11-2005, 09:04 PM

I was wondering about a compressor wheel upgrade. Can you give some particulars of what kind of improvements can be expected. How much? and where to find them.

Thanks to all for the advice
Old 01-12-2005, 05:19 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
http://www.htturbo.com/