1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Pump timing issues... still, any way to find tdc on the pump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well we turned pump shaft over another full turn to 5:30 position and turned motor over to tdc and put gear back on and it slid right on with stock marks on gear lined up. But then we couldn't get it to run again. It chugged and acted like it wanted to but didn't. The exhaust is coated with a thick tar like coat inside so we started to wonder if the cylinders are full of unburnt fuel and ether from all the times we've tried starting it and that's why its smoking so bad cuz its trying to clean itself out? When we get it running again we are gonna let it run for a while and see if it clears up without tryin to runaway. Then we got wonderin if the turbo blew a seal and is runnin oil through and that's why its tryin to runaway and smokin so bad. Plus it has an oily exhaust pipe and is oily inside exhaust housing of the turbo? We got thinkin that it probably ran when it was advanced a tooth cuz it was burning hotter and burning some of the junk in the cylinders to fire and it wont run now cuz it doesn't have enough timing to clean out? We're just brainstorming and tryin to figure out every way why its not running right. Do these sound like possible reasons?
Old 03-07-2011, 12:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im having timing trouble on mine too, for some reason the more I retard the timing, the less white smoke and more power and better running. When I first advanced the timing, I got fuel dripping from the ex.manifold gaskets, so there could be fuel in the cylinders on one you're talking about. Check the oil dipstick to make sure you arent filling the crank case with fuel.

I'd say its un-likely that the turbo was causing the runaway condition, but to be sure, remove a boost connection and check for oil throughout the intake.

I hope you get it lined out, maybe I can learn somthing from it and get mine runnin like it should be.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:59 PM

If the IP has been apart, it can be put back together 180 out. When I resealed mine I could not get it to start. I had the front shaft 180 from the back shaft. This should not be an issue if the pump has never been apart since you saw it running on another truck.

Have you tried cranking it over with the lines cracked?

Stupid question, but is the fuel shutoff solenoid plugged in? And getting 12 volts?

Is the fuel shutoff solenoid good? I had one go bad and die on the road. Easy solution is to remove the solenoid, take out the plunger and put it back in.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:30 AM

I don't think its ever been apart since it was on the other truck. It has good pressure at the lines when bleeding the injectors. I checked the solenoid with a jumper wire and you can hear it clicking so its working and we got it to run earlier, we forgot to hook it up when we first started workin on it again last week but I caught it and got it hooked up and got it to run advanced a tooth. I think the cylinders are just full of ether and unburnt fuel and its trying to clean itself out and its trying to runaway cuz its trying to burn all that out. We'll try working on it more this weekend and see.