1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Pump solonoid hot-wire question

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 07:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pump solonoid hot-wire question

Good morning from south-east Texas. I'm about 400 miles from home and my truck has started dying intermittently. It happeed once last week, once on Monday, and 5 times yesterday so it's getting more frequent. The symptoms are that it'll be cruizing along at 65 with the cruise on and it will just suddenly shut off, The accelerator pedal is still held to the floor by the cruise. This is not a reduction of power, it's a total shutoff (ie - if I hit the clutch, the engine is dead). Most of the time, it will suddenly resume on it's own and we're on down the road until the next time but Monday night it left me sitting along side the road. A jumper wire from the battery to the pump got be back on the road and on to my destination. I've checked for loose or dirty connections.

My questions are - There are two wires to the solonoid on my pump. Where does the second one come from? Has anyone had to rewire the power to the pump? Does it go thru the fusible links on the fender or are there other places that I need to look for and intermittent connection problem?

I'll be making the 400 mike trip home tonight or tomorrow. I'm fairly confident that I can limp it home with the hot-wire but I'd like to know what to look for when I get there so I can get this resolved.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-28-2005, 08:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 2 wires that on the shutdown solonoid, 1 is provides the power to activate the solonoid, the other goes to an air temperature switch in the intake and back down to power the KSB solonoid
Old 12-28-2005, 04:50 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The power comes from a big ugly splice back behind the fuel filter. 4 or 5 wires come together back there, they are all dark blue.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:26 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As long as you have 12v going to the solenoid you should be able to drive without any problems.....

p b..
Old 12-29-2005, 05:10 PM

Mine has done the same thing numerous times--the blue wire looks connected, but actually isn't making a good connection. After crimping connector several times, and still having it come loose, I cut the connector off and soldered a ring terminal to it, and the other wire, removed the double spade connector of the solenoid, and replaced with the two ring terminals. Haven't had a problem since.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:14 PM

another thing you can do ina pinch is to remove solenoid and take out the spring and ball and put solenoid back in. ( jus make sure you also unhook 12volt wire going to solenoid before you start truck or you will probably destroy solenoid) Engine will start fine, but youwill have to use manual shut down lever on pump to shut it off.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:00 PM

Mine did exactly what you desribe. I cut the dodge connector off the wire, installed a common female spade connector, and tightened the rolled metal edges of the connector with a pair of pliers for a very tight fit. No more dying.