1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Pump problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pump problem?

Newby here! Learning about the 1st gen somewhat. I bought a 92 dodge W350 auto. The previous owner installed a higher rpm governor spring "366". The truck ran fine until this point. After installation it would jump rpm's up and down at idle then on the highway it would cruise ok then have a runaway to a point. Then go back to normal then again runaway. I bought the truck thinking they had the fuel screw just to the point of runaway. I backed the fuel screw out all the way then screwed it back in to where it would just start then screwed it in and out to no avail helping the problem. Tomorrow I'll pull the pump top and examine what might be wrong. ANY suggestions on what it could be??? I'd rather go in with some ideas rather than diving in blind!! Btw thanks beforehand and this is a great forum!!
Old 03-09-2013, 03:01 PM

Welcome to dtr!
I would pull the pump top and check to see if the spring behind the top hat is installed.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:07 PM

From pics I've seen which are not good on my phone. Which way is the tophat assembly go-pin spring washer? Or?? The washer looks concave maybe which way does it go? Bowl side to pump or bowl side to firewall?? I've been thinking this could be the problem!
Old 03-09-2013, 03:15 PM

Should be pin, spring then the washer bowl facing the firewall.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:17 PM

Ok thanks! Can you think of other issues if this is all correct?
Old 03-09-2013, 04:00 PM

No I cannot but someone else will chime in that is smarter than me.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:09 PM

Lol for me it wouldn't take much to smarter. But thanks for your input. For those of you smarter than me and a 5th grader lol chime in and give ideas please. I'm a pretty good mechanic but know little about the ve pump. Just hoping for the best and looking for the worst with blinders on makes me worry lol.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I can't help you Smokin but there are some great guys and gals here in this 1st gen section that I would put up against anyone in the world on both their depth of knowledge and helpful nature

You have already met Bill, he is one of the great ones

Hang in there, more answers to come I am sure
Old 03-09-2013, 05:12 PM

Thanks Top! The guy that told me about this forum said the same. But I got in earlier than I thought so I started on it. I have the top off the pump and it's seems to be all in place?!?!?! Maybe!! Here is my findings so far. The first thing I found is the bolt on the return line "banjo" bolt was stopped up from something black. Not sure if it's rubber or algae from old diesel. I cleaned it out carefully mmmmm maybe rubber! The tophat pin had the spring attached to the pin that went thru the lever then the concave washer facing to the firewall then the spring against the shoulder of the pin. Ok I need ideas thoughts ect. Thanks!!!
Old 03-09-2013, 05:32 PM

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
The rubber in the return line banjo is probably from a failed shut down solenoid sometime in the past.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:39 PM

If the banjo bolt on the return line was stopped up wouldn't that cause it to run erratic or is there enough return pressure to override the stoppage? Just thinking out loud!
Old 03-09-2013, 05:52 PM

That could cause some irratic running but I don't see it causing the motor to try and run away. Does the spring look stretched at all? Maybe post some pictures that could help also.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:58 PM

I got an extra new 366 spring in the package with the truck. That's my next idea is to compare the two. But it's now raining and my truck is outside, shop is full. Thank the man upstairs for blessing us with some rain!!!
Old 03-09-2013, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My guess is either the throttle shaft being 180* out or something is binding up the fulcrum lever. Do you have a return spring where the throttle rod connects to the shaft?
Old 03-09-2013, 07:47 PM

dieselJon with the pump top on the pump which way is the pump arm supposed to be pointing? Does the arm that the governor spring hooks to point--to the engine block side? Or to the fender side? That's something I didn't pay attention to when I pulled to top off. It's been raining so when it stops I'll go look and see which way it was turned. Thank for the thoughts

Quick Reply: Pump problem?