1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Pullits got a new"er" pile

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know what you mean. Andrew is a mechanical phenom who works at a super human pace. I don't understand it either!!
Bill
Old 03-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Best Paint (Getrag category)

My wide skill set has been aquired by being around the block a few times, Trial and error (usually more error) and the school of hard knocks. While I'm not a master of any certain field I do alright with what I know and I'm always willing to learn. There just parts what the worst that can happen. I also don't like paying a mechanic to do stuff I can do.

The Rag you see tore apart on the bench will actually be my first full on rebuild of a Getrag the most important part of that is setup and I have setup a few and reshimmed a couple.

I am by no means an electrician, I hate wiring. I wouldn't say I work at a super human pace.

Today I probably won't do much to the truck. Gotta get the tractor ready to kick some grass. Got the blower and chains pulled off it yesterday gotta finish pulling the cab today swap a pulley and throw the deck on it.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by sootnsmoke
Ok, Andrew, I got to know. How did you get such a wide skill set? Not many people will throw up a transmission on their bench and go through it and the next day dive into electrical work as well. I know you are moving through these varied areas at a good pace as well. Out with it...

Also, when does class enrollment begin at the school of Andrew?
Can I join as well? haha
Old 03-18-2012, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by DJ Turbo.
Can I join as well? haha
You bet. We can carpool to Eagle Nebraska. I am in Seattle, so just pick me up on your way down South from Canada. Just waiting to get a course start date, application and schedule from Andrew. I have my tools packed and ready.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:09 PM
Banned

You bet. We can carpool to Eagle Nebraska. I am in Seattle, so just pick me up on your way down South from Canada. Just waiting to get a course start date, application and schedule from Andrew. I have my tools packed and ready.
I'm in!! If I'm going to drive these clunkers, I better learn how to work on them.
Bill
Old 03-18-2012, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by bill-d-c
I'm in!! If I'm going to drive these clunkers, I better learn how to work on them.
Bill
I agree. If the plan is to daily drive them for the long haul as I do, any time spent in gaining more knowledge pays for itself. The pullitbroke school of 1st Gens is gaining momentum with a class size of 3 already. We just might qualify for a forum group tuition discount! I'd like to attend the Getrag setup and rebuild session as well.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:05 PM
Banned

Andrew, sign me up for:
Injector pump rebuild
Injector rebuild/pop test
Any and all electrical issues
King Pin replacement

Thanks a bunch,
Bill
Old 03-18-2012, 04:15 PM

Soudns good haha with Mark Nixon helping out eh?
Old 03-18-2012, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by DJ Turbo.
Soudns good haha with Mark Nixon helping out eh?
Yes, perfect. Will have to make a list of any and all parts I might need for the field trip to Mark's place.

Bill - I will sign up for those same courses. Always interested in how to properly rebuild injectors and setting up for correct pop pressures. I would also like to sign up for a course on ring and pinion set up for regearing/swaps (if that course is being offered). Also, an NP205 transfer case reseal course as well. With all this subject matter to cover, both Mark and Andrew will have their hands full with us.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:46 PM

You guys are funny!!

On the injector rebuild class I would have to borrow a pop tester, But I know where one is

Well Got the tractor switched over to summer mode. I also did a cut on the paint and gav her her a wax job too. Not to bad for 28 years old and still wearing the original paint.

Name:  920053.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  157.6 KB
Name:  920055.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  141.6 KB
Name:  920057.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  165.0 KB
Name:  920059.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  232.7 KB
Name:  920060.jpg
Size:  115.4 KB
Name:  920061.jpg
Size:  147.5 KB
Old 03-18-2012, 07:08 PM

Andrew, I'm guessing that isn't the tractor Pete brought you

Gentlemen, I took the one day crash course this fall and soaked up a TON of info
Old 03-18-2012, 07:22 PM

Um NO!! this was the 1st one I bought a few years ago. It came from Erie PA and was stored inside its entire life however it was pretty grungy when I got it.

That is an awesome Idea, why don't you guys make it out to Iowa in June or SOP in October!?!?!?! You will learn a lot by me and a bunch of other guys like Bill Gilbert, Philip, Tim Worline just to name a few. I know its not to far for Bill-d-c

This is what that tractor Pete brought currently looks like.
Still waitin for an injection pump.

Name:  Engine5.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  52.0 KB
Name:  920038.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  114.1 KB
Old 03-18-2012, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by pulltilbroke
Um NO!! this was the 1st one I bought a few years ago. It came from Erie PA and was stored inside its entire life however it was pretty grungy when I got it.

That is an awesome Idea, why don't you guys make it out to Iowa in June or SOP in October!?!?!?! You will learn a lot by me and a bunch of other guys like Bill Gilbert, Philip, Tim Worline just to name a few. I know its not to far for Bill-d-c

This is what that tractor Pete brought currently looks like.
Still waitin for an injection pump.

I agree. If the plan is to daily drive them for the long haul as I do, any time spent in gaining more knowledge pays for itself. The pullitbroke school of 1st Gens is gaining momentum with a class size of 3 already. We just might qualify for a forum group tuition discount! I'd like to attend the Getrag setup and rebuild session as well.
make it 4!
Old 03-18-2012, 07:49 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
You weren't able to repair to old pump like you were hoping?

Like Andrew said. Hit the Iowa meet or SOP. There are many years of 1st gen experience at both events.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:17 PM

Nope, we disassembled it and tried finding parts from a few different avenues but no go, gotta buy a complete assembly.

the old pump had sat with water in it, the rack had a sticky spot, needed plungers and barrels,cam rollers and some other crap.

Quick Reply: Pullits got a new"er" pile