1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Pulling Power of 1990 Dodge Ram 4x4 Power 250 Cummins Turbo Diesel w/A727 Automatic??

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulling Power of 1990 Dodge Ram 4x4 Power 250 Cummins Turbo Diesel w/A727 Automatic??

I am wondering what sort of pulling power I should expect from a 1990 Dodge 4x4 Power Ram 250 Cummins Turbo Diesel with a TorqueFlite A727 automatic transmission and new carbon fiber torque converter.

I am pulling a 5460 pound boat and trailer (I just had it weighed) along mostly flat highways with small rises and some small hills.

Should I be able to run at 55 without any effort or should it be pulling hard to maintain the 55 mph highway speeds?

The engine is in good shape and the transmission has just been rebuilt. All-be-it, the shop took four attempts before seemingly getting it right.

The engine seems to have plenty of power but the transmission / torque converter seems to let some power slip through. Is that normal for a '727?

I'm wondering if I should call the transmission "good" or whether I should call them on the carpet again. At this point, I doubt anyone on the island has the tallent to make this transmission better than it is right now.

My current condition is the truck is pulling hard to maintain the 55 mph speeds. I can "floor it" and get speeds as high as 65 mph on flat sections.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Dean
I am wondering what sort of pulling power I should expect from a 1990 Dodge 4x4 Power Ram 250 Cummins Turbo Diesel with a TorqueFlite A727 automatic transmission and new carbon fiber torque converter.

I am pulling a 5460 pound boat and trailer (I just had it weighed) along mostly flat highways with small rises and some small hills.

Should I be able to run at 55 without any effort or should it be pulling hard to maintain the 55 mph highway speeds?

The engine is in good shape and the transmission has just been rebuilt. All-be-it, the shop took four attempts before seemingly getting it right.

The engine seems to have plenty of power but the transmission / torque converter seems to let some power slip through. Is that normal for a '727?

I'm wondering if I should call the transmission "good" or whether I should call them on the carpet again. At this point, I doubt anyone on the island has the tallent to make this transmission better than it is right now.

My current condition is the truck is pulling hard to maintain the 55 mph speeds. I can "floor it" and get speeds as high as 65 mph on flat sections.

That truck should run 70 plus with that load(5460lbs) no problem, mine will with considerably more. If you can't get 55 out of it now you might want to do some investigating. Mine was the same way when I bought it with 108,000 miles, 55 right to the floor. I took it the local injector shop and they adjusted the valves(which hadn't been done) rebuilt the injector pump and reset everything to original, then truned the pump up. It seemes that someone in the past had tried to turn it up and went to far and had all setting messed up. The truck runs 75(probably more but I don't like to speed ) now without a problem.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:51 PM

My truck could pull that all day at 80+
Old 04-28-2006, 06:18 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Welcome aboard, Captain.

The first thing to do is to make sure you are getting full travel at the injection pump when you floor the truck. It's very common for trucks to be getting little more than 2/3rds of the available power due to worn linkage and a stretched accelerator cable. Have somebody sit in the cab and work the pedal while you take a look at the linkage.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Has the pump be turned up? Exhaust changed? I know my truck was a DOG when I got it. I though about selling it the power was so bad. Then I found this board and never looked back!
Old 04-28-2006, 06:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have pulled a 10 K trailer with mine and it didnt like it even with the pump turned up the converters are junk. engine has the power tranny cant put it to the ground I would get a TC and valve body and bigger radiator then it will pull great!
Old 04-28-2006, 08:09 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Reading about the auto trannies on this forum make me SO glad I got the Get Rag.

Edwin
Old 04-28-2006, 08:39 PM
REALLY old dog

Talking

I would take wantadesil`s advice, then when you are checking linkage between cable and injector pump make sure those clip on ***** on the end of the linkage are good .
thought mine were ok and on closer inspection they no longer snaped to linkage but were ready to fall of and one end is cracked losing 1/2 travin in linkage. I am waighting for the arival of my new ones.
Claude
Old 04-28-2006, 09:37 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I pull a 1996 Bayliner 2503 with a 250 Merc Outboard and 150 gal. of gas. Total package weight estimate is 7200#. Interstate at 60mph in overdrive or no overdrive.......no problems. Pulling the draw at the James River Bridge will run the EGT up to 1350 on cruise control in overdrive. You shouldn't have a problem with the 727 tranny. In fact your tranny will run a little cooler than the A518. You should be able to run the wheels off the trailer before that engine and tranny give you any problems. The governor will keep you from damaging the engine. The trailer is the most neglected piece of boating equipment made.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:38 PM

captian if all that checks out, or even if you are still having a problem after that you need to check the adjustment on the TV cable as well... when i adjusted mine there was a VERY noticable difference in the way the truck drove. i know mine has OD but i've hauled some decent weight and could hold just about 80 i believe with OD off. (3.54's)
Old 04-28-2006, 09:39 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Reading about the auto trannies on this forum make me SO glad I got the Get Rag.

Edwin
Shifting gears gets in the way of my coffee drinking. Automatics RULE!
Old 04-28-2006, 09:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey guys I think this fellow is working with bone stock, unmodded truck. Not really fair to compare your modded trucks to it. I think we've forgotten how pathetic these trucks pull in stock form.

I'm guessing its probably pulling just as it was set to from the factory. I know mine couldn't out pull my old 360 gasser with RV cam until I broke off the seal on the full fuel screw.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:40 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Originally Posted by Boatnik
Shifting gears gets in the way of my coffee drinking. Automatics RULE!
My wife drove mine the other day for the first time and SHE LOVES IT! Her SUV is a 5 speed so she has no problems with a stick. I think I'll keep her.

Edwin
Old 04-28-2006, 11:28 PM

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
why not just do what I did and dump the 727 and put in a getrage
Old 04-29-2006, 06:56 AM
REALLY old dog

Talking

I run all over the country buying and selling cars and trucks, just as a hobby so you may catch me delivering one i sold also.
Pulling a fullsized car truck or van ,you are pulling a desant amount of weight , now i use a tandom axle trailor and run legal speedlimits + and have no trubble whth my STOCK 5.9 WITH A 727 BEHIND IT. The onlytime ive had it feel like it was pulling hard was when pulling my Bayliner 2455 cirra, looked back in the mirror and there was smoke comming from the tires ,trailor brakes were locked up.

never a problem from the 727
Claude

Quick Reply: Pulling Power of 1990 Dodge Ram 4x4 Power 250 Cummins Turbo Diesel w/A727 Automatic??