1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Pulling my hair out!!! Need Advice!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghosthider
Ended up replacing it, darn thing wasn't cheap. On a side note how much movement is normal in the belt tensioner? Seems to bounce more at idle, just noticed as I put on a new belt, never really noticed with the old belt.
My tensioner moves a bit, but doesn't really bounce, it is brand new. When the R's are brought up, it slides in towards the center of the motor, but doesn't bounce...Mark
Old 10-20-2013, 08:39 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Greed 93
Man I hope one day we all can be cool like "j" !
Takes 50 or 60 years to get there.

A little debris or deformity on any pulley in the system will cause the idler to bounce. A slight bounce can be considered normal. The idler's function is to compensate for slight missives. It's just not good to over work it.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by j_martin
Takes 50 or 60 years to get there.
Does it take that long to see that post #9 did not answer Thrashingcows's question? Really, it doesn't take that much to be nice, does it? You seem to be knowledgeable on some things, but the delivery leaves a lot to be desired, IMHO...Mark
Old 10-20-2013, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by maybe368
Does it take that long to see that post #9 did not answer Thrashingcows's question? Really, it doesn't take that much to be nice, does it? You seem to be knowledgeable on some things, but the delivery leaves a lot to be desired, IMHO...Mark
Aw lighten up, will ya.

He had adjusted the sensor and noted that it did not respond to the gap, and was reassured that his assumption that it was bad was correct. How does that not answer the question, "was the sensor bad?"
Old 10-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Aw lighten up, will ya.

He had adjusted the sensor and noted that it did not respond to the gap, and was reassured that his assumption that it was bad was correct. How does that not answer the question, "was the sensor bad?"
I'll make you a deal, You be nicer and I'll lighten up, whadya think?...Mark
Old 10-20-2013, 04:14 PM

I'll make you a deal, You be nicer and I'll lighten up, whadya think?...Mark
I'll try.....

b u t you didn't answer my question.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Administrator

I'll try.....

b u t you didn't answer my question.
Ok to belabor the point, post #9 says:

I changed the gap on my CPS to .50 and checked the connections, all look ok, the blk/blue wire shows ground, the tan/yellow wire shows 8.8 volts with the key on and the grey/black wire shows 5 volts, even over the air gap, shouldn't it go back to 0? does this indicate the CPS is indeed bad?

It says that he changed the gap, not adjusted, this leaves some doubt as to whether it was adjusted right, doesn't it? He asks:
shouldn't it go back to 0? He then asks:

does this indicate the CPS is indeed bad? None of that indicates that he knew the cps was bad.

None of this is the point, the point is this:

Just for grins and giggles, read post #9

IMO it is mean spirited, unnecessary and condescending. It makes me want to know why you treat someone that is asking a legitimate question, whose answer isn't real clear from post #9, in such a way. Maybe we are not as sharp as you, but we can't all be perfect. It would have been easier and better for you to have just ignored it or try to answer it in a meaningful way, not try to punish him. Does that answer your question?...Mark
Old 10-20-2013, 04:50 PM
Administrator

was reassured that his assumption that it was bad was correct.
By the way, when did this happen after post #9, I cannot seem to find it...Mark
Old 10-20-2013, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I must be missing something too, Mark..
Old 10-20-2013, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Greed 93
I must be missing something too, Mark..
Thanks, I thought I might have been going blind...Mark
Old 10-20-2013, 07:54 PM

hehehehe

I changed the gap on my CPS to .50 and checked the connections
I gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed he meant .050", which is correct.

and the grey/black wire shows 5 volts, even over the air gap, shouldn't it go back to 0? does this indicate the CPS is indeed bad?
This is exactly correct diagnostics. It should go to near 0 volts when over the gap. It's a hall effect sensor. Again I just assumed he knew what he was doing.

Technically, you got me on the reassurance bit. Ghost said the diagnosis was right on.

And lay off the mean bit. There's nothing wrong with suggesting that the the reader re-read the post carefully and reason for himself. It's actually a very effective way of teaching......some people.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:38 AM
KRB

Received 524 Likes on 363 Posts
This is what I like about this forum. You guys can get into an "argument" yet still behave as adults and be civil. Other forums rip you a new one and hurl insults that no one should have to listen to.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:55 AM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB
This is what I like about this forum. You guys can get into an "argument" yet still behave as adults and be civil. Other forums rip you a new one and hurl insults that no one should have to listen to.
That's because the "MODS" here actuall do their UNPAID Job.... which I'm grateful for.

When it's not tolerated, it tends to happen less... as well as the "caliber" of the folks who participate here. Other than myself, there aren't really any pineapples here that disturb the fruit cart...
Old 10-21-2013, 08:24 AM
Administrator

And lay off the mean bit.
Does this mean that I don't have to lighten up?

"There's nothing wrong with suggesting that the the reader re-read the post carefully and reason for himself. "

If you had said it like this in the first place, I would have had no problem with it. As I said before, it's the delivery...Mark

"It's actually a very effective way of teaching......some people."

This is true, if you know the person personally. I taught emergency medical technology and fire science for over 10 years at a local community college. When I was asked about something that I didn't know the answer to, I would tell the student to research it and share it with everyone during the next class. It is very effective.

"This is what I like about this forum. You guys can get into an "argument" yet still behave as adults and be civil. Other forums rip you a new one and hurl insults that no one should have to listen to. "

Me too!

"That's because the "MODS" here actuall do their UNPAID Job.... which I'm grateful for."

Me too T, this is the only diesel forum that I belong too. As someone that thinks different from a lot of people, I tend to draw a lot a attacks (especially when it comes to the science of engine cooling ). Doesn't bother me, though, I gotta be me...Mark
Old 10-21-2013, 09:11 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Does this mean that I don't have to lighten up?
.......I gotta be me...Mark

You look a little different, in person, than I thought you would..... but I like your voice !

Quick Reply: Pulling my hair out!!! Need Advice!!