1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Pull Cable Manual Fuel Shutoff install and keeper

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 12:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Pull Cable Manual Fuel Shutoff install and keeper

Well, BC847 has me moddin' and stated I need to get a pull cable installed for when the rubber tipped plunger fails. With this he said it would be nice to keep the fuel shutoff to prevent someone from quickly starting it up when you park it somewhere. So, I made a Shutoff cable and a method to keep the fuel supply cu off.

Now, this method to a good bit of time and can be done faster with a throttle/choke cable from the hardware store but I had this stuff laying around so it was free for me.

I used a handle, guide tube and steel rod with my cable to make this up.
First, get some type of handle. I had this old emergency stop handle so I used it. Next, I had a piece of 1/4" steel rod I cut from an old muffler hanger. I took an oil dipstick tube from a blown engine and made the guide tube. The dipstick tube had a steel mount on it to secure it to the engine. I bent this straight and used it to mount the guide tube under the dash.
Attached Thumbnails Pull Cable Manual Fuel Shutoff install and keeper-mfc-handle.jpg   Pull Cable Manual Fuel Shutoff install and keeper-mfc-guide-tube.jpg  
Old 07-16-2008, 01:02 PM

I set the 1/4" steel rod in the handle and drilled a 6/32" tapped hole through the rod 11/16" from the handle, this is the travel stroke of the Manual Fuel Shutoff arm. On the opposite end I drilled two offset holes to lock the pull cable into and drilled in the end of the rod and tapped is 10/32" for the cable lock bolt.
Attached Thumbnails Pull Cable Manual Fuel Shutoff install and keeper-mfc-cable.jpg   Pull Cable Manual Fuel Shutoff install and keeper-mfc-cable-lock.jpg  
Old 07-16-2008, 01:07 PM

Next, coming through the firewall. I lined up my cable to where it cleared all items under the hood and came in under the brake master cylinder. Drilled a hole for my grommet and put a Stainless Steel air fitting in it to prevent damage to the cable, grommet and firewall.
Attached Thumbnails Pull Cable Manual Fuel Shutoff install and keeper-mfc-bulkhead-hole.jpg   Pull Cable Manual Fuel Shutoff install and keeper-mfc-bulkhead.jpg  
Old 07-16-2008, 01:09 PM

Next I slotted my tube to allow the 6/32 keeper bolt to travel and then bolted the tube under the dash.
Attached Thumbnails Pull Cable Manual Fuel Shutoff install and keeper-mfc-installed-tube.jpg  
Old 07-16-2008, 01:14 PM

Last step, I inserted my rod/handle in the tube and attached the cable to the end. The two holes in the end allow the cable slack to be adjusted and then locked. The Shutoff arm is spring tensioned and will keep the cable tight.

In this last picture, the handle has been fully pulled out and rotated to allow the keeper bolt to rest on the outside of the tube which keeps the Manual Fuel Shutoff Arm closed.
Attached Thumbnails Pull Cable Manual Fuel Shutoff install and keeper-mfc-handle-installed.jpg  
Old 07-16-2008, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very nice write up, I need to do this on my truck
Old 07-16-2008, 03:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dave!, this needs to be stickied! it was a simply put write up. perfect. nice job.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:40 PM

I didn't want the shutoff hanging under the dash with the possibility of hitting my long legs, so I put it in the dash...

The little lip is accessible if you remove the ashtray and then the steel plate -
4 screws. I drilled a hole just to the left of the ashtray opening, fed the cable just into the hole, slipped a castle nut over the cable, the fed the cable over the steel mounting - when you get under there you'll see the mounting.
The rest is just like yours.
The cable has a 'twist lock' function as it from a lawn tractor - I don't remember what brand, I've had it lying around unused 'til my shutoff solenoid shutoff !
I've got letters to label it, just haven't yet.
Attached Thumbnails Pull Cable Manual Fuel Shutoff install and keeper-dash.jpg  
Old 07-16-2008, 07:48 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Although not exactly the way I had in mind to accomplish this, there is some ingenious engineering throughout your approach to this common modification that shows what can be done with a few scrap parts and a sharp mind.

There are so many good "out of the box" ideas, such as the way the dipstick-tube is notched for the handle-guide to slide in, and the two-hole-in-a-stick means of slack adjustment.

Since this is a cable thread, I will add this :

Multi-speed bicycle shops have a multi-tude of various cable fittings that cost little of nothing and are very useful for projects like this.

Here is one on-line source :

https://www.bikepartsusa.com/bikeparts/Make-a-Store.cgi
Old 07-16-2008, 07:53 PM

Anyone can go and BUY things to make something work....

IT's more fun scrounging in your junk bin and still make it work AND look good
Old 07-16-2008, 10:49 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
"Coolness In Action".
Old 07-17-2008, 05:39 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by unixcowboy
Anyone can go and BUY things to make something work....

IT's more fun scrounging in your junk bin and still make it work AND look good
Especially if your junk bin looks like mine, I usually try to have on hand enough to repair anything with what I have on hand.

Kind of like in a submarine where it is hard to find a parts store on Sunday night.

I taught McGyver more ways to use Duct Tape.
Jim
Old 07-17-2008, 06:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used a standard small engine choke cable, made a mount so I could mount it between the hood release and brake release. Most people don't even know its there. Made a mount to hold the conduit under the throttle bracket and a custom made holder that will swivel to hold the cable with a set screw.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Very nice, I read before in this forum that napa has some of this cables complete that one can buy and install.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the good comments guys.

Quick Reply: Pull Cable Manual Fuel Shutoff install and keeper