1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Pull Cable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 07:34 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Pull Cable?

I have been pondering joining the elite group of CDT owners that use the pull cable for shutting down. Which cable have you used and where was your preference for locating the handle/**** end of the cable. Some I have seen are on the dash or out of the transmission hump. I have even thought of mounting it on the transfer case lever like a PTO ****. Your thoughts?
Old 10-21-2005, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm using an extremely high tech piece of 10 gauge stranded thhn wire.

Someone recently recommended carquest as having an attractive t handle version that has a built in stop.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:57 PM

Well that beats my idea of using tie wire. I even thought of clothes line and pulleys.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:37 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I don't think anybody joins the cable shutoff club on purpose - it just happens. My modified solenoid is still holding up (touches wood). If I blow it out it's time for a cable, I have better things to spend $50 on.

Boatnik, before yours gets chunked pull it out and modify it. Put the plunger in a drill and use sandpaper to make the end flat (it's convex from the factory), then put a nice radius on the edge. Stretch the spring a little to make up for the lost length and put it back in. Mine's held up for 2 months now and I haven't been trying not to blow it.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Boatnik, You are more than welcome to join our little club, actually it's not so little any more. but I would try Wanna's idea first if you still have a good plunger.and yes I did get the cable from carquest. and installed mine to the right of the light switch.it's a good location for it, and if you leave the cable pulled out, it is a good theft deterent as well. I dont think most of these low life thiefs could figure out why the truck wont start.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Boatnik
I have been pondering joining the elite group of CDT owners that use the pull cable for shutting down. ... like a PTO ****. Your thoughts?
a bit HD (PTO cable)
my 63 Studebaker w/ Detroit Diesel had a really cool chrome 'Fuel Stop" T-cable, right next to the 'Ether" EZ to confuse on many a dark night

Can't say the boss didn't warn us

I'ld be heading to a 'commercial truck' bone-yard, bet you could find a real gem of a cable, a suiting location would be near key / column is nice idea.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:55 AM

Thanks for the response guys. I like Wanna's idea the best, but I will definitly Take the rest of the ideas to heart. I wasn't really thinking of using a PTO cable, just thinking of mounting the choke cable there. Making a bracket would be a piece of cake and the spot near my light switch already has the electric mirror joy stick in the way. I miss not having a floor shift but I don't miss the clutch.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:11 AM

Tractor supply

My old Ford 2000 farm tractor has a decent pull cable. You could check with a farm implement dealer if you have one around if it comes to it.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Moab4X4
My old Ford 2000 farm tractor has a decent pull cable. You could check with a farm implement dealer if you have one around if it comes to it.
There are plenty of farm equipment dealers close by. The city slickers haven't bought up all the land yet. But they sure are trying. I bought 15 acres in the middle of nowhere just so I can pee off the porch without getting fined. In the evenings the only sounds you here are dogs barking, coyote howling, and owls hooting. Then every once in a blue moon you hear a stil blow up.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:34 AM

Go to your nearest Mack shop and tell them you want a stop cable for a R model with an E6. Its about a 1 inch round red **** that say on it ENGINE STOP. Even has the shut down symbol on it. Bout 20 bucks. Has enough cable to go from front to back of truck if needed.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heck Boatnik, I did'nt even know these truck's had power mirrors. none the less a joy stick to operate them.there is'nt even an option item on my truck that I did'nt put on it myself.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by timb
Heck Boatnik, I did'nt even know these truck's had power mirrors. none the less a joy stick to operate them.there is'nt even an option item on my truck that I did'nt put on it myself.
1992 Dodge w350 LE, Automatic overdrive, air conditioned, power windows, cruise control, tilt wheel, electric door locks, electric mirrors. All factory options. Even the radio sounds nice at idle . I think this was one of the first Cowboy Cadilacs that rides like a truck. The only option this truck didn't come with was the factory snow plow and front air shocks. Dieseldude4x4 owned it before I did.