1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Project Started(Pictures!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what did you paint the dash with?? i want to do mine but im afraid it will flake off cuz i cant really sand it and it wont stick
Old 07-16-2010, 10:16 PM

and might i suggest pinstriping around the glove box. maybe not but a simple black stipe or 2 could accent some stuff and tone it down a wee while
Old 07-17-2010, 02:12 AM

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts
Hmmmm, good idea mike! I have left over pinstriping that I can use as well, i'll for sure do that and see how it looks, thanks for the suggestion!
I used SEM Color Coat, it is a plastic and vinyl specific paint but still needs plastic adhesive to bond properly. I scuffed everything up with scotch-brite (metal wool) wiped clean with water and let dry, than spray plastic adhesive. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes so the adhesive can flash, than start laying on the color. SEM Color Coat is expensive but a REALLY tough paint! 2 hours after I painted I could take my finger nail to it and not scratch it off! Impressive.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:18 AM

that is impressive. and your welcome. looks amazing. im a little jealous and when my truck comes off the road for the winter. i can can see myself refering to this thread for colour schemes
Old 07-17-2010, 11:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pinstripe is a better idea, as long as you don't plan on using it as a mask. i masked my garage fridge to paint racing stripes on it, and it has a similar texture. It bled under the tape not too bad, but too noticeable.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by schamran
Pinstripe is a better idea, as long as you don't plan on using it as a mask. i masked my garage fridge to paint racing stripes on it, and it has a similar texture. It bled under the tape not too bad, but too noticeable.
Here's a way to fix that ( bleeding)....mask it off, then paint it the base color, or whatever color your going over (o technically you'd just paint it again after you mask)....paint it over the tape so that that color bleeds essentially onto itself, thus sealing the tape...let it dry real good then spray or paint over all that. The base color bleeds and seals up the texture and dries in all the spots where the color you don't want to bleed would. The final coat has no where to bleed and usually leaves a perfect line...works on orange peel texture too.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by MoPowa
oh and penguinman, my body guy had a eraser wheel he used. Put it on a drill and spin at low revs and it gets ride of adhesive very easily...leaves the finish looking good too.
Awesome, I'm goin' to do that asap....MOPOWA, the truck looks amazing...your a visionary...keep up the great work....stacks are gonna look amzing too, no matter what cut you do...my 5" mitres go on this week, hopefully...pretty dry here in Boise.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:53 AM

ouch

Well guys there has been a bit of a hold up on the truck for the next 6 weeks....I went and broke my collar bone yesterday
My bumpers will be in this week, and i'm going to get my dad to put them on for me, so there will be a few progress updates but, they will be few and far between
Please post pics of what you guys are doing to your trucks, i'd love to see them.

Thanks again for all the compliments, this is truly and awesome community to belong to! Hope to hear from you all soon
Old 07-19-2010, 01:29 AM

I'm sorry to hear that...hope your doin okay...I'll post some pics of my truck this week...we'll see how far I get...get well.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah thats gotta suck, i still want to see update pictures
Old 07-19-2010, 08:39 AM

lookin good, ur bezel looks like mine but mines Krylon White haha
Old 07-21-2010, 10:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry to hear about your collar bone man. Summer is a horrible time to be laid up. Good luck, and get better. There will be more time for the truck. Until then take it easy so you don't make it worse. lol Speaking from experience...

Originally Posted by penguinman
Here's a way to fix that ( bleeding)....mask it off, then paint it the base color, or whatever color your going over (o technically you'd just paint it again after you mask)....paint it over the tape so that that color bleeds essentially onto itself, thus sealing the tape...let it dry real good then spray or paint over all that. The base color bleeds and seals up the texture and dries in all the spots where the color you don't want to bleed would. The final coat has no where to bleed and usually leaves a perfect line...works on orange peel texture too.
I like that Idea. Good thought.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:31 PM

Thanks...actually I paint houses for a living, anytime I do stripes or anything bordering up to another color, I do this...works everytime if you are patient and do it right...or you can use clear caulk...not sure if that would turn out on a glove box....p.s your truck is awesome too!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:14 PM

Sorry to hear about the injury, Scott. Any word on the bumpers?
Old 07-23-2010, 02:26 PM

Picking them up tomorrow!!

...well I obviously wont be picking them up, that's what friends are for

Quick Reply: Project Started(Pictures!)