1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

progress update: 9mm head, 500K+ miles... no cracks?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 07:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rebal
I dont think it a banks intercooler this a banks intercooler on my 90 non I/C
Thats the i/c that our 91.0 kit had in it.

I think thats the I/c you have in your 90, is a 91.0 Banks intercooler, it was a .5 year only deal banks did and the core supports between 89-90 and 91 are different.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:25 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rebal
I dont think it a banks intercooler this a banks intercooler on my 90 non I/C
I know mine was. It was put on by the original owner ( a neighbor ) while he was in California at a speed shop. The kit included a 2.5 inch stainless cooler tube intake and a tube grill. He also put a stainless 4 inch tailpipe and performance muff at the same time. That was in 1991. I know the later model intercoolers from banks were different. This set up was made before dodge ever decided to put in a intercooler.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:34 PM

From what i have researched on Banks intercoolers (alot) rebal you definely have a Banks intercooler for a 91 NON intercooled truck. The weird one that has its own part number. Like we sold to Mattster, That intercooler is the EXACT one
Old 08-15-2009, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crossy's son
on the left of the oil cooler cavity whats that harness that goes into the side of the block ??
None of your Dads trucks have a block/coolant heater?
Old 08-15-2009, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Riflemanusmc
None of your Dads trucks have a block/coolant heater?
Never have to use it around here

, I know his 05 does and the 91 5spd truck does but idk about the 92' and the other 91' ,

I just never chased the block heater to see where it went and figured maybe that thing in the picture was a sensor or something, never clicked that the block heater would be right there.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:53 PM

They "shimmed" your factory spring to put them at 80lbs? Be VERY careful and check for coil bind when you get it back together. USED factory are as such.. USED..Its a coil spring. It took a "SET" when in use. Its going to take a set again...And you'll be right back were you started with coil bind. Shims are for correcting installed height, NOT more installed seat pressure. Either way your factory springs are going to lose pressure fast..Good luck...
Old 08-15-2009, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
Never have to use it around here

, I know his 05 does and the 91 5spd truck does but idk about the 92' and the other 91' ,

I just never chased the block heater to see where it went and figured maybe that thing in the picture was a sensor or something, never clicked that the block heater would be right there.
Liveing in the western half of the USA.. And ALASKA...That one I'll not repeat again, thank you very much. When you get below 0 it helps out.. Last time I used mine on our 04 was at -42.. Yea i don't live in AK anymore.........LOL
Old 08-15-2009, 11:06 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
how much HP do you think i'll get out of painting my head and other misc parts hemi orange? hahaha but seriously, i think the hemi orange on the head, intake manifold, timing cover and other parts like heater lines would look bad asphalt! any ideas on other colors i should consider?
Old 08-16-2009, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by jimbo486
how much HP do you think i'll get out of painting my head and other misc parts hemi orange? hahaha but seriously, i think the hemi orange on the head, intake manifold, timing cover and other parts like heater lines would look bad asphalt! any ideas on other colors i should consider?
I think Panther Pink or Plum Crazy Purple would fit in nicely.

I love Mopar colors.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:14 AM

Sublime
Old 08-16-2009, 10:25 PM

would this please the diehard mopar guys? engine enamel "chrysler hemi orange" resistant up to 500* is what the can says. bought it from napa. it puts a smile on my face

the head, heater lines and maybe other misc parts will get the same treatment tomorrow. maybe the compressor housing? don't know if it would exceed 500* though. i used almost an entire 12oz can on the timing cover about 4 coats worth. i think i'm gonna need about 2 more cans. i'd rather have a little left than have to go out and get more in the middle of the job. valve covers are going to stay black but they'll get a couple touch up coats. i'm making a trip to cummins tomorrow for t-stat kit, oil cooler gaskets, 2 intake gaskets (maybe grid heater gaskets), a full set of head bolts, new exh. manifold bolt or full set depending on price (one head got rounded trying to remove it, luckily it came out), a piston pump setup and a handful of small parts. also, hoping to hear back from mark at coaltrain so that i can order a set of 370's tomorrow and have them by the time i'm ready to wake the beast!
Old 08-17-2009, 03:13 PM

just getting back from cummins. $592 later, i have all the parts i need this piston pump looks huge!!! and a slight change of plans. i didn't think clearly about painting the head. i know it's probably gonna see 500* or more, so i grabbed some black bbq paint at home depot that resists up to 1200*. the valve covers will now be hemi orange as well as the heater lines, alternator bracket and other accents that might look good with black. mark and richard haven't returned my phone calls yet and i'm starting to get frustrated. is there anyone here that happens to know them and can maybe speak with them, please? i'd like to order the 370's but the longer i wait, the longer i'm without my truck. i'm probably gonna have to bite the bullet and order a custom set from bosch. i'd rather not spend the money, but if it comes to that, i've almost got no other options and i've gotta get this done!!
Attached Thumbnails progress update: 9mm head, 500K+ miles... no cracks?!-piston-pump.jpg  
Old 08-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
That looks much nicer than the "bluke" paint Dodge put on there.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:39 PM

Try New era. they also sell 1st gen 370 injectors. http://www.neweradiesel.com/node/4
Old 08-17-2009, 11:42 PM

thanks brandon. just out of curiosity, how do you think 6x.012's would perform? doubt that'd i'd spend the extra money but just wondering. here are some more pics as i progressed today. i'm likin' the color scheme already (pics are a little out of focus as i took these after the sun went down). i'm also gonna flip my idle adjust screw around while i've got the head off and it's easily accessible. whatcha think of the hemi orange choice?

does anyone know of a good source for this formed hose on the vacuum diaphragm? would napa have something similar?

Quick Reply: progress update: 9mm head, 500K+ miles... no cracks?!