1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

progress update: 9mm head, 500K+ miles... no cracks?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:23 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
didn't know i needed to take the bolts out first i got the filter head off along with the gasket between it and the cooler itself. i just put a pry bar behind the cooler and tapped the pry bar with my 1/2" ratchet and it slowly began to separate. the gasket between the cooler and the block was just holding on tight. what a PITA it was to remove the a/c compressor and water inlet just to remove the lower 2 bolts for the cooler.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:30 PM

here's what i worked on throughout the day.

got the oil cooler removed to see how the cylinders looked. from what i can see, it looks fairly clean inside.

removed the water inlet from the side of the block. what a PITA that was. didn't think i would turn out to be such a large piece.had to remove the a/c compressor just to get the lower bolts out of the oil cooler.

removed the diaphragm pump and getting ready for a piston pump install. got my free spacer in the mail yesterday. i'm savin' $12.86 lol.

brandon, i snapped these pics of my i/c set-up for you. this is my tube on the compressor side. and also, the 90's off of the intercooler. small, i know .

last question for the night (hopefully. can't make any promises lol). where can i get a formed hose like this one for my other vacuum diaphragm?

Old 08-14-2009, 11:26 AM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Jimbo, that is an early banks intercooler for the non i/c trucks. I have one and outgrew it. After about 22 pounds of boost it would not flow any more cfm's.

Here is a pic with the grill removed.

Name:  intercoolerpics004.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  33.5 KB

Old 08-14-2009, 11:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 91.0 Banks intercooler that we sold to ''Mattster'' didn't mount like that, You actually had to cut the holes for the tanks to come through just like a factory 91.5-93 i/c
Old 08-14-2009, 11:42 AM

you must've had one that was a banks upgrade for a factory i/c'd truck.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:42 AM

on the left of the oil cooler cavity whats that harness that goes into the side of the block ??
Old 08-14-2009, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Richie O
Jimbo, that is an early banks intercooler for the non i/c trucks. I have one and outgrew it. After about 22 pounds of boost it would not flow any more cfm's.

that's exactly what mine looks like. thanks for clarifying that richie! it only has 2 brackets that hold it in place. one at the top that bolts up under the hood release and another at the bottom that bolts to the bottom of the radiator support. my grandpa's had close to 30psi running through this thing when towing on grades. maybe a PS i/c should be on the wish list lol
Old 08-14-2009, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
on the left of the oil cooler cavity whats that harness that goes into the side of the block ??
that's the block heater. the other end of it is the male 120v plug
Old 08-14-2009, 09:55 PM

got a phone call this morning and to my surprise the head was done!! machined .006" off of it. that should only raise my compression to 17.6 or 17.7 at the most with the standard head gasket. the valve springs were tested, meet specs and are shimmed to give me 80lbs on the valve seats according to the shop. better than 60lbs springs i guess. valve recession was set back to factory specs as well. the valves and valve seats were all checked and ground as necessary if needed. i haven't peeled the plastic off of it yet, but i'm anxious to see it. don't worry, i'll snap some pics of it as soon as it's unwrapped. it feels like christmas time!

also, i got the KDP killed today!! pulled the timing cover off and surprised to see that it was only flush with the timing case. so i drove it back in about 1/4" and put the tab and new bolt in place with the threadlock compound on the bolt. my dad's taking some parts to work tomorrow to clean up in a solvent wash bin. i'll get them back cleaner than they are and will clean them a bit more with some parts cleaner and paint the necessary parts. what color should i paint the head and timing cover? hemi orange? i dunno . just been thinking about it since i'll need to paint it cuz it's bare metal. the crank snout looks good and smooth. i can't feel a hard edge where the old seal wore into it so that's a good thing. the front cover will go back on when the paint dries.

now, my for my next dilemma. i talked to a local professional shop and was told that they've never had good luck running 370's in trucks they've worked on. BUT, he also told me that they've never worked on any pre-'94 trucks either. so just because they run rough on '94-'98 12V p-pumped motors, doesn't meant that they will on mine, right? i've heard from most people on here running 370's and they LOVE them! i can only believe the ones with experience. that shop doesn't have the experience with first gens. also, coaltrain diesel's phone number has been "disconnected." should i email them and ask for a more recent number that will connect me to them or does anyone have the number that works? thanks for all of your help throughout this project guys! i sure wish i could return the favor. i do what i can to the best of my knowledge to answer questions everyone else has. here's some pictures to enjoy for the evening.

the KDP tab is out of focus, but you all understand what it's there for.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:39 PM

bump! guys, i need to get some thoughts on the 370's (check out the last paragraph in my post above this one). other wise i might have to bite the bullet and buy bosch injectors with 5 x whatever size i want. but i'm sure it'll run me more than 370's from anywhere.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:11 PM

370's for 2nd gens and 370's for 1st gens are totally different.

Don't know what he's talking about saying he has no luck with them..

You'll probably pickup like 2-3 psi with the 370's there not that much bigger than stockers, just one more hole.. it'll probably smoke less and run a little cleaner than the ole' 4x12's

Give Richard a call, he runs coaltrain diesel with a feller named Mark. 734-673-4867

I also heard to try this one- 419-392-1678
Old 08-15-2009, 02:15 PM

thanks a lot brandon! i'm definitely siding with the guys who have the experience running 370's. the 1st gen guys of course! i'll give them a call.

the guy i talked to said the new era 370's just idle and run rough overall in the 2nd gens i guess.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:15 PM

That's because the P-thump puts out totally different pressures and the piston bowls are different on a 2nd gen.

I'm pretty sure 370's are considered big in the 2nd gen world. My dad had "230" injectors in his 95 and it smoked alot but made good power,
Old 08-15-2009, 06:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Richie O

I dont think it a banks intercooler this a banks intercooler on my 90 non I/C
Old 08-15-2009, 06:49 PM

hmmm who knows. sure wish i had the one you do. i could get rid of 2 extra boots and 4 extra hose clamps lol

Quick Reply: progress update: 9mm head, 500K+ miles... no cracks?!