1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

progress update: 9mm head, 500K+ miles... no cracks?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metallurgy does not change. Torque turned or not....Please post what your talking about so that an old guy like me can learn something new.....Cummins includes a stretch gauge in their head set. Never heard of the drop test other than small cam and big cam cummins pushrods......AKA pushtube's
Old 08-10-2009, 11:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i don't know i just heard this from guys when i go to the pulls! I'm pretty sure Wannadiesel told me when we were talking about "what would he do if his HG went" . Don't hold him to that though, it may not have been him.

Guys on turbobuicks.com also say if the bolts float in water they're good, if they sink then they're junk . something to do with hardness/density.

I failed science class so what do i know.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:16 AM

He's talking about the head bolts not the push rods.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:04 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
well i'm going to buy new head bolts anyway. so i'm not too worried about it.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by jimbo486
well i'm going to buy new head bolts anyway. so i'm not too worried about it.
Wow what the frig this is what i've been talking about the WHOLE time. HEAD BOLTS not pushrods.

You can do a drop test on headbolts, Like i've been saying the whole time.

thanks for clearing that up Ryan,
Old 08-11-2009, 12:12 PM

i tried to change the subject back to what it was! look up a couple posts.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:35 PM

i'll try to bring everyone back on topic....

anyway, i have the upper engine gasket kit that has new valve seals. should i just leave them with whatever shop i have do the hot tanking and magnafluxing and have them install the new seals? or could i just have them remove the old ones and i myself install them and maybe 60lbs springs when i get the head back home? i'd just need a valve spring compressor which would be well worth the investment anyhow.

also, i don't know how many of the 9mm heads out there have cracked. but i kinda have my head in the clouds thinking that i may be one of the very lucky few without cracks! not to rub it in, but i'm very happy only because i expected the worst. let's hope a magnaflux job won't ruin my day! oh yeah! i stopped by my local radiator shop and showed the guy my head gasket and he said the material built up around the coolant passages looks to be like some sort of "stop leak" crap. i asked him about getting me a crossflow radiator and he asked why and i told him that because of the fact that the coolant is forced to travel across the radiator it's a little more efficient in cooling. but after thinking it over some more, i don't do any towing very much and probably won't for a while. even so, the existing radiator was enlarged by this same guy when my grandpa had the truck and he towed trailers all over the place without a problem (but the "stop leak" material makes me think that just maybe at one point he did have a leak in the radiator). i forget how much the radiator was enlarged, but i think he told me it's a 3 row performance core. anyhow, i'm gonna have him pressure test my radiator and clean it up. if there is stop leak crap in the radiator and it gets washed away and the thing springs leaks all over during a pressure test, i'm definitely going to a crossflow.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
If the shop will install the seals for less than the cost of a spring compressor, then let 'em do it. It's not a hard job at all if you want to do it yourself, though.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:14 PM

just dropped off the head at L&R automotive in santa fe springs. they have to disassemble the head to hot tank it. i talked to the head guy there and told him i already have valve seals and that i could bring them in when they re-assemble it. i'm going there tomorrow morning to watch the magnaflux get done and check for distortion. this head's never been off the truck there should be a slim chance that it's not warped. $75 for a teardown, magnaflux and hot tank. but if the head needs to be machined that'll be additional along with a valve job which runs $225. i'm hoping it's not that terrible though.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by jimbo486
$75 for a teardown, magnaflux and hot tank. but if the head needs to be machined that'll be additional along with a valve job which runs $225. i'm hoping it's not that terrible though.
Wow you're gonna be up to $300. Generally the cracks won't show until the magnaflux job. A brand new 7mm head from ACH for $450 isn't sounding too bad.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by bgilbert
Wow you're gonna be up to $300. Generally the cracks won't show until the magnaflux job. A brand new 7mm head from ACH for $450 isn't sounding too bad.
$450 + the I/c injectors he'll need to make it work

Now we're at $700+
Old 08-11-2009, 07:54 PM

that's what i'm worried about! unless i can find a set of stock 7mm's to get me by for now, but those won't be very inexpensive either
Old 08-11-2009, 08:03 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
And don't forget stock i/c sticks are dogs.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:13 PM

Yea you'll probably lose 30+ hp by going to Stock i/c injectors.

POD's POD's POD's !!! or maybe some DDP3's 40hp
Old 08-11-2009, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
i don't know i just heard this from guys when i go to the pulls! I'm pretty sure Wannadiesel told me when we were talking about "what would he do if his HG went" . Don't hold him to that though, it may not have been him.

Guys on turbobuicks.com also say if the bolts float in water they're good, if they sink then they're junk . something to do with hardness/density.

I failed science class so what do i know.
Yea....I'm not getting the whole "DROP" test on the head bolt thing....I'm going to let that one go as "URBAN LEGAND".....We're good...But stop and think about this Brandon...How will STEEL float on water?

Quick Reply: progress update: 9mm head, 500K+ miles... no cracks?!