1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

progress update: 9mm head, 500K+ miles... no cracks?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 11:37 AM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
i'm gonna run the stock one for now. i'd like to have a 3-piecer though. thought about going with one from BD diesel. it looks exactly like ATS's manifold but it's a few dollars cheaper. all in all you get what you pay for and ATS has a good reputation and i may end up going with them, i'm still not sure. but for now the stocker should be ok for a while.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great jim. Makes me wish i had more mechanic bones in my body.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:30 AM

well i'm down to the last thing on the "to-do list."

- add 12 quarts of 15w-40

then i'll start it and bleed the air at the injectors. don't worry though, i'll have my camera up on the tripod shooting video for all of you to see . i can't believe how awesome it looks with the hemi orange. hope it doesn't get dirty that's a long shot!! here's a good way to end a good day...

the inline 6 we all know and love

Old 09-08-2009, 05:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks really good!!
Old 09-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Looks sharp!
Old 09-08-2009, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This project turned out to be very well done, looks brand new. Great work!
Old 09-08-2009, 10:23 PM

That is so freakin cool!!!
Old 09-09-2009, 12:45 AM

well as you can all see, it's finally done!! took exactly 1 month from the day i started (aug. 8th) til the day i finished, today (sept. 8th). what a project! the reason it took as long as it did was because my dad was helping me. he works everyday and it was a chance for him to learn about the wonderful cummins and of course waiting on parts in some cases. i'm proud of my accomplishment. i'm glad you guys like what you see cuz i sure do!! only couple little things left to do is re-wire my tach (old, stiff and exposed wiring) and get me a new thermocouple so that i can see what my temps are with these bigger injectors. maybe i'll tell a little white lie and convince my dad to let me upgrade the turbo . anyhow, i took a video (not the shortest one) of the start-up. it's almost 12 mins long though, but if anyone cares to see/hear how it ran, i'll post it. one very little problem is that it's idling slightly low and that's my fault. i turned the idle adjust screw around so that the slot was facing forward but apparently when i measured how far it stuck out prior, it was wrong this time around so i'm not sure how that got screwed up. and now that the head's on, i can't break the jam nut loose to bump the idle up. a little trick i've seen someone do is to build a small tab, drill a hole in both ends of it, mount it behind one of the front cover bolts and run a stud with jam nuts up to the throttle shaft lever and use that as an adjustment. what i'm going to do, is use the existing bracket that my return spring uses. only i'm going to turn it around so that i'm a little closer to the throttle shaft lever. i'll drill a bigger hole through it and run a stainless stud with stainless jam nuts to go with it. sound like it'll work? are there possibly any tricks to getting the jam nut loose on the adjustment screw on the pump though before i modify my return spring bracket?
Old 09-09-2009, 05:05 AM

Very nice, I like threads like this. Glad you got it all done and it worked out for you. Where did you take the head to get the machining work done?
Old 09-09-2009, 06:56 AM

use a punch and tap the nut... It should break loose adjust your idle and punch it back the other way... its a real pain...
Old 09-09-2009, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
Very nice, I like threads like this. Glad you got it all done and it worked out for you. Where did you take the head to get the machining work done?
i took it to a shop in santa fe springs called L&R Automotive Supply. i could get you their address and phone number if you'd like. just let me know.

Originally Posted by ebteckx
use a punch and tap the nut... It should break loose adjust your idle and punch it back the other way... its a real pain...
thanks ebteckx!! it worked!!! my tach isn't in service at the moment but it will be hooked up shortly. so i'm not sure what it's idling now at but it's higher and better than before. i would guess it was probably idling around 400-500rpm??

all's well now!! this thing sounds great. i can make 10psi in 3rd at just around half throttle. again, better than before! i see light blue smoke and smell what may be a hint of oil in my exhaust. my turbo didn't have any end-to-end play but had some axial play. although i couldn't hear the blades touching the housing, the play felt like a bit too much for my comfort so it may be time for a turbo rebuild. if that happens, i definitely won't waste any time ordering a GDS 60mm housing and wheel then. i've seen turbo rebuild kits out there somewhere but can't recall where. anyone have good sources??
Old 09-09-2009, 05:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo...Q5fAccessories
Old 09-09-2009, 06:54 PM

here you go! thought you all might like to hear it now that the idle's up.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hows it run with the new injectors?? driving video going through the gears maybe???
Old 09-09-2009, 07:10 PM

it runs great. sounds a little different. maybe just cuz i haven't heard it run in a month . i can make 10psi in 3rd at just around half throttle. better than before! i haven't been on it hard since i just started it yesterday. i may give it a week before i really hammer down on it. i dunno if there's a "break in" period after this kinda work is done. i'll see what i can do about a video while running through the gears. i usually never have a passenger and obviously can't steer and shift all while holding the camera. maybe i could set the camera in the center console aimed upwards a bit.

Quick Reply: progress update: 9mm head, 500K+ miles... no cracks?!