1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Pre safety inspection shopping list

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pre safety inspection shopping list

Whelp, I just got my 93 w250 back from pre inspection here in maryland so that I wouldnt have any suprises when I try to get it safety inspected for the state.... there was a bit more wrong with it than I thought. I know im reaching here, but im hoping you guys can give me brand/retailer recommendations for really good quality parts for the list I got.

Drive belt + tensioner
Brake pedal pad
Front Brake pads both sides
Front rotors both sides
"Front brake calipers and hoses left side seized" I dont know if the plurality of caliper was a typo there from the tech.
Left front caliper bolts (one missing)
Rear drive shaft at diff U joint
Front Drive shaft Double U joint at transfer case
Steering shaft slip joint ( figured id go with that brand that starts with a "B" that everyone talks about
"steering box has excessive lash" (i dont even know what that means)
Front axle seals seeping
Rear pinion seal leaking
Np205 seals leaking front and rear
*transfer case linkage worn with excessive play (could make sense, shifting in and especially out of 4wd is a pain in the a*&)
im told the front axle seals are internal to the front diff so I have no idea how involved that job is going to be or if I can even do it myself. I just no I have to get these things addressed before I can get the state safety inspection, and I would prefer to get as many really good parts as possible from as few reputable vendors as possible. Reaching for a life line here.

Old 05-08-2024, 06:23 AM

Received 2,551 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Your states SAFTEY inspection includes leaking seals on NP-205s and pinions?

What safety hazard is a weeping pinion? Or a NP-205 with a slow leak.
Most 30 year old NP-205s have an output leak at the yokes.

I can understand the driveshaft u joints, loose steering shaft and brake rotors / pads.
Old 05-08-2024, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
Your states SAFTEY inspection includes leaking seals on NP-205s and pinions?

What safety hazard is a weeping pinion? Or a NP-205 with a slow leak.
Most 30 year old NP-205s have an output leak at the yokes.

I can understand the driveshaft u joints, loose steering shaft and brake rotors / pads.
I'm just going off the printout I got from the only reccomended shop in my area. I've only loved in Maryland since late 21, bought one vehicle from a dealership so it came inspected, and my Harley inspection didn't require anything. They might be more strict because it's a one time I section to register in the state then you never get another Inspection.
Old 05-08-2024, 06:38 AM

One time inspections sound really cool.
In Vermont they want you to pay $70 EVERY year to get your rigs inspected.
Old 05-08-2024, 06:40 AM

Take that back the front axle seals and rear pinion seal leaking are listed under non state inspection criteria, missed that part in the 2 page write up
Old 05-08-2024, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
One time inspections sound really cool.
In Vermont they want you to pay $70 EVERY year to get your rigs inspected.
Yeah that sounds like Texas was with my 11 ram
Old 05-08-2024, 06:54 AM

Just an FYI I find most rear pinion leaks disappear when I clean out the breather tube.
Make sure the rubber hose and cap will allow air to flow through them.

I find I need to clean out that line every few years or the pinion starts to weep again.
The following 3 users liked this post by oliver foster:
nonrev (05-08-2024), nothingbutdarts (05-08-2024), Oran (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 05:52 AM
KRB

Received 527 Likes on 366 Posts
Geez, if KY did that there'd be probably 25% fewer vehicles on the road here!

If you want a one stop shop with known quality and personal care I'd start with Geno's. They have some hard to find parts, don't stock knock-offs and will fit our 1st Gens. They don't carry common things like seals etc. I go to NAPA for those.
The following users liked this post:
Oran (05-09-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by KRB
Geez, if KY did that there'd be probably 25% fewer vehicles on the road here!

If you want a one stop shop with known quality and personal care I'd start with Geno's. They have some hard to find parts, don't stock knock-offs and will fit our 1st Gens. They don't carry common things like seals etc. I go to NAPA for those.
Yeah thats where I went first. I was suprised to see they do t carry any first gen brake parts. Ended up dropping 1200 yesterday at napa for most of it.
Old 05-31-2024, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey folks,

I've been through a pre-safety inspection process myself and I can't emphasize enough how valuable it is. It really opens your eyes to what might be going wrong under the hood that you might have no clue about. In my case, I thought my truck was in decent shape, but the VIR pointed out a few critical issues that could have led to major safety risks down the line.

Having a detailed pre-inspection is crucial for making informed decisions, especially when it comes to safety. It helps you understand exactly what needs fixing before it becomes a real hazard. I managed to get everything sorted out based on the VIR and felt much more secure knowing that my vehicle was not just legally compliant, but actually safe to drive. It's definitely worth the time and sometimes the extra cost to avoid bigger problems later.

Take care and always prioritize your safety!
Old 06-01-2024, 04:49 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB
Geez, if KY did that there'd be probably 25% fewer vehicles on the road here!.
If they did it in Russell or Adair County Kentucky, you could play marbles in the middle of the road and everybody would just have to stay home.

Back in the late 60s/early 70s, we did have state vehicle inspections and stickers required to display in the bottom-left corner of the windshield; it was the biggest joke ever and crooked as all get out.

Many times, I have saw my father and others take a stack of vehicle titles to the "inspector" and come back with a handful of valid inspection stickers and none of the vehicles ever actually seen by the inspector guy.

The position of state-approved vehicle inspector in each county was highly sought after and contested and whatever garage was awarded the task would soon have a nice shiny new vehicle sitting in place of the ratty old car they used to drive.

Thankfully, they did away with that foolishness sometime in the 70s and we haven't been bothered with it since.

As for "safety", I would much rather be meeting some old country boy with a head full of common sense driving a vehicle with slick tires, no brakes, and steering that lurches to the left, than to have some safety-freak fool coming at me fiddling with their phone.
Old 06-01-2024, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by BearKiller
If they did it in Russell or Adair County Kentucky, you could play marbles in the middle of the road and everybody would just have to stay home.

Back in the late 60s/early 70s, we did have state vehicle inspections and stickers required to display in the bottom-left corner of the windshield; it was the biggest joke ever and crooked as all get out.

Many times, I have saw my father and others take a stack of vehicle titles to the "inspector" and come back with a handful of valid inspection stickers and none of the vehicles ever actually seen by the inspector guy.

The position of state-approved vehicle inspector in each county was highly sought after and contested and whatever garage was awarded the task would soon have a nice shiny new vehicle sitting in place of the ratty old car they used to drive.

Thankfully, they did away with that foolishness sometime in the 70s and we haven't been bothered with it since.

As for "safety", I would much rather be meeting some old country boy with a head full of common sense driving a vehicle with slick tires, no brakes, and steering that lurches to the left, than to have some safety-freak fool coming at me fiddling with their phone.
The yearly state inspections here sure feel like a money grab. Most years they find a flickering license plate light, or the like, I need to fix and then change me $70. I leave feeling poorer, but not necessarily any safer....with my shiny new sticker on the windshield.
The following users liked this post:
BearKiller (06-01-2024)
Old 06-01-2024, 08:30 AM

Received 454 Likes on 344 Posts
Geez, I'm glad I live in a free state. There is a onetime vehicle inspection that only applies to a vehicle brought in from out of state. It consists of a VIN check. They don't care if it's a balled-up non running Exxon Vadis wreck on a trailer. Emissions testing went away 15ish years ago and only applied to Anchorage. Most testing facilities would sign you off without looking if you had a pre OBD vehicle.
Old 06-01-2024, 11:41 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by cougar
There is a onetime vehicle inspection that only applies to a vehicle brought in from out of state. It consists of a VIN check. They don't care if it's a balled-up non running Exxon Vadis wreck on a trailer..
It is the very same here; if you bring in an out-of-state vehicle, the Sheriff or one of his deputies, NOT any sort of mechanic, will walk out in the courthouse parking lot and see that the VIN in the windshield matches the title; four bucks and you are done.
Old 06-01-2024, 06:50 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
When I got my truck titled in PR of SoCal all I needed was to take it to the Highway Patrol and a patrolman put on his coveralls to crawl under it to verify the secret VIN somewhere. He wouldn't let me watch however. The truck was so old that it was exempt from the emissions check.

I've not had to get anything inspected here in Okieland but I did have to take a photo of the VIN in the windshield to the tag agent.

I love Red State Oklahoma!

Edwin

Quick Reply: Pre safety inspection shopping list