1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

POWERSTROKE owners helping me to decide on a DODGE...

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
POWERSTROKE owners helping me to decide on a DODGE...

This is FUNNY -

I have owned a '92 CTD and it was a GREAT diesel truck. Sold it. Now I'm looking to buy another diesel and thought I might like a Powerstroke this time (like it or not, they're nice trucks). SO I went over to the PSD forums and started asking questions. Of course there were a lot of die-hards, but I also got a number of PMs from some that said (very quietly) "buy a Dodge"... Most told how "Yes, the Ford's great truck, but I've had to replace the (blank) and the (blank) and the (blank) on my PSD and it was EXPEN$IVE - my friend's Cummins just goes..."

Ha! Now, I had decided that I would either buy a PSD or a CTD, but thanks to all the PSD owners out there for convincing me that Dodge Cummins is THE WAY TO GO. I even posted the same story "over there" and got no rebuttals. I can't recall a single Dodge owner that ever said "buy a PSD".

Looks like I'll be gettin' another Dodge
Old 12-24-2005, 07:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You can pick up a "03- 04" 6.0 Powerstroke cheap. They are the ones with the most problems, 77 service bulletins in 3 years. I have read of lots of guys wanting to get rid of them. Ford has really put it to it's loyal customers this time. Not too sure about the new ones. The 7.3's Ford's are good trucks.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Buy an 03 PSD, yank out the turd of an engine and put in a Cummins, problems solved. I have to admit my buddy a coupla houses down has an 03 PSD and the truck itself is NICE ,King Ranch, every bell & whistle, front & rear leather captains chairs, VERY nice truck.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:37 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No doubt, the Fords are sweet looking rigs, Interiors are nice. Overall styling of the body and trim is nice.

Once they figger out a reliable powerplant they will be doing something, till then I'll be buying Dodges.

God knows these trucks are inferior in many aspects.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisLib
Buy an 03 PSD, yank out the turd of an engine and put in a Cummins, problems solved. I have to admit my buddy a coupla houses down has an 03 PSD and the truck itself is NICE ,King Ranch, every bell & whistle, front & rear leather captains chairs, VERY nice truck.

Sure.... (now where did I leave that extra 50 grand?...)

I am looking for a truck under $9000 - sorry to pop yer bubble. Preferably a 1st gen xCab LE 4x4. (Now that's a manly truck!)
Old 12-25-2005, 02:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drove a PSD before buying mine and I never could get over the cheap POS drivers cup holder!! LOL!

Seriously there is no power in a stock 7.3. Big cabin area but cheaply made interior. Seats were almost perfect............Dodge needs new seat design!

Cummins had me sold the moment I drove an 05. I'm not looking back!

Rick
Old 12-25-2005, 11:03 AM

I too was looking at Ford Powerstrokes before i bought the 99 Dodge, and even bought a F-250 (bought it cheap at a Auction), the ride was nice, looked nice, and was comfortable, but the IH built motor just wasen't all that (and i'am a diehard IH owner (17 IH trucks, 3 Travelalls, 46 scouts), The IH diesels are guttless, noisey, and just a pain to work on. so the ford got sold and i bought the 99 dodge and been happy ever since.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:16 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
friend of mine has a late 04 ford, truck moves stock and he is putting a ats chip on it. lots of options with that chip and the factory transmission braking is also a nice feature. For an auto ect the truck tows his 12k camper pretty darned well. Everytime i see him he mocks my dodge in one way or another, steering sucks, junk front axle, sealed wheel bearings.

he digs but since i picked mine up for $12500 with 139k miles. even with the few repairs ive had to do which put me up to $15000 spent so far and then now with fueling mods, clutch and twins im still under $20k. so we will see how long his stock truck survives in mod'd form that will be the real test. he's got 30k in a reg cab truck with no other features, im fully loaded and have twins and fully expect the truck to survive another 150k miles without any other big issues, at that point there will be a few things that will need some tlc, maybe a posi and rear end rebuild. Wonder how much it'll cost him to rebuild his 5 spd auto once he starts turning her up and how long will she last.

Its all about what you like and how you want to drive it. oh yeah the mileage on his 6l has gone down with each service bulliten. i'll have to remind him next year that my truck hasnt been in for a service call nor anything. hmmmm and its wore out in his eyes

Otherwise the 6L is a good motor IH has been using it for a quite a few years in different forms just ford fudges the programing a little and things took a little longer to hammer out. the 7.3 was a nice motor. the old idi 7.3's liked to crack heads in the rear otherwise that was about the only major pain that rare reared its head. the newer psd's cam timing sensor is a bugger sometimes when it pukes.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:16 PM

My neighbor has a super nice 96 PSD, and I drove some at my previous work, but I always wanted a cummins. Compare the underhood area of the Dodge to the Ford. The Dodge is much easier to work on, pop the hood on a ford and it's like, wow that things crammed full. Hey, where's the turbo on this thing?
Old 12-26-2005, 01:19 AM

Cummins=Great
7.3 Powerstroke=good
6.0 powerstroke=JUNK

My cousin had a 7.3 . The 7.3's while not a cummins were a very good engine. Might be worth buying if you found one for a steal, but i would rather have a CTD.

Eric
Old 12-26-2005, 11:19 AM

Gotta a 95 PSD. Cold starts are touch and go. Glow plugs can be frail. Impossible to get off valve covers. Injectors, and glow plugs under the valve cover. Injector harness built into the valve cover gasket. These are my main beefs with the PSD.

On the plus side. Surge arrestor grade brakes, Best seats ever, Lock up auto tranny, Full floater axle, Great towing suspension, stock to stock faster and stronger than the dodge, better low end torque >1500rpms, capable of equal mileage, better fit and finish, no electrical issues, solid body

To me this adds up to
Dodge= better engine
Ford = better truck crummy engine

But given the pros and cons there both livable
Old 12-26-2005, 09:13 PM
Banned

Notice the DuraSnack never came into consideration. HM? I will say I like the Stupid Dutys. In stock form the tranny shifts much nicer than the "redesigned" 48RE. Big comfy interior, minus the sharp edge inside the lower door pocket. The waste-gated turbo on them is extremely annoying when its whining away. The 4th gear syncros seem to be the problem with the sticks. If i had to get one I would have to stick to my guns and get a ventwindow F350 95-97ish. Not the room of the Stupid Duty but 7.3 and ventwindows(i already said that).

OR you could just get a CTD. BING