1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Power upgrades??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 04:42 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power upgrades??

I have been reading all the past threads for about 2 hours now, and I am left a little confused. I just ordered the 3200rpm spring from piers (real nice guys) and my original plan was to put on a 4" exhaust and then turn up the pump for more power. Then while on the site I started thinking about the possibility of POD's. Upon further investigation I found that since I have a non-intercooled truck, the gains from POD's aren't really that good. Because I have larger injectors in my truck, would it just be a waste for POD's and just turn up the pump instead? I do very light towing once in a great while, and mostly highway driving, but I would like a little more power for keeping up on the highway. I am just afraid that by turning the pump up too much on the stock injectors, I might be overworking the pump. So are the POD's worth it? I plan to keep the stock turbo for now (budget) If I do go with the POD's, I here that they smoke A LOT. I don't mind smoke, but does it pour out all the time or just under hard acceleration? Sorry for the lengthy post, but I don't want to make the wrong move..

Thanks, Eric
Old 05-16-2006, 04:56 PM

If you are going to start "modding" then (sorry to say this): Ditch the K&N and airbox and get a BHAF and do the Old Smokey BHAF mount (or check my sig for the cheap alternative - which also works great).

There are a lot of free and low-cost power mods. Look around here before you start dumping your ca$h.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:01 PM
Chapter President

Why ditch the K&N?? I have heard that people don't like them because they don't trap all the fine dust particles and such, but I don't really live in that type of climate. I have run K&N in most of my vehicles and haven't had any problems. Will the BHAF really flow that much better??
Old 05-16-2006, 05:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would recommend you keep your stock sticks. You have enough fuel available with the stockers to melt your engine with little effort...especially with the stock turbo, which you said wasn't in the budget just yet. Drop the coin to have the stockers cleaned and re-popped if you can and save for a turbo upgrade. I'm still blowing smoke on the top end with the HTT stage III hybrid. By that measure, I still need more air before I upgrade injectors. In practice, this is not entirely true when talking about max power, but considering how terribly tiny the non-ic turbo is, I think it's worth considering.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
What Greg said, stay with the stock injectors for now. You won't hurt the pump turning it up with those injectors.

POD's and smoke- They smoke heavy at WOT. Some guys have problems with them hazing (light gray/blue smoke) at idle. Mine were clean when I got them, but now that they've been run a couple years they leave a "vapor trail" at cruise.