1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Power control module

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power control module

Have been working on the 92 to get her ready for the winter coming. Thought I had everything under control till yesterday. The alternator quit charging and no heater grids. They would work off and on and finally quit all together. Checked wiring best I could, took alternator out, had it checked and was ok. I got into the little computer, unpluged it and all pins and connectors seem good. Plugged it back in and find out if I move the connector just right everything works [alt. od , grids, and speedo] but one little movement and off they go. Im thinking there must be a break in the circuit board of the pcm or something like that. Does this sound like I had better start pricing a new one maybe. I know that I could wire up a regulater and already have heater grids on a push button inside but dont know how to rig up the overdrive. Any suggestions?????
Old 11-25-2006, 08:32 AM

Smile

I went through that with my 93,and had to replace the ecm.I got a rebuilt from rock auto parts.com.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:55 AM

I checked with NAPA about a rebuilt pcm and their book there is four different numbers for 92 diesel d or w series. Didnt know which one would work. I guess if I remove the one I have , there should be a part number on it . They want around $400.00 for a reman. Getting kind of expensive to keep her on the road....
Old 11-25-2006, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by funcruise
but dont know how to rig up the overdrive. Any suggestions?????
Been there, done that. Get a toggle switch and that switch is used to control the connection of the orange(?) wire that is on top of the transmission to a ground. When "on" (grounded) the OD solenoid engages overdrive. Just check a manual out and be sure about that orange wire, i'm in the hospital and dont have my FSM.

I have my overdrive on a switch due to an iffy-at-best speed sensor, so at least i can run overdrive without a speedometer
Old 11-25-2006, 03:30 PM

I just came in from pulling the pcm out of the truck and looking for a number on it which I cannot find. Can anybody tell me if there is more than one model for the auto or not. With no number how do you order one???