1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Please help me identify this wire....

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help me identify this wire....

I was looking under my truck hood, and noticed a wire in the loom that runs from the battery back towards the booster over the fender that was cut. Its Purple with a white stripe. Anyone got any clue what it controls? My truck has not had any gremelins so my curiosity is up to what it does. Of course I re-connected with one of those butt-type connectors and nothing noticable changed this morning on the way to work....

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2008, 11:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i know there is some kind of plug that the wire falls out of on the wheelwell...its a clear plug that runs the dome light,courtest light on heater control, and the memory on your radio, and cargo light.....check if they work if you unplug ir....

brandon
Old 04-24-2008, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
i know there is some kind of plug that the wire falls out of on the wheelwell...its a clear plug that runs the dome light,courtest light on heater control, and the memory on your radio, and cargo light.....check if they work if you unplug ir....

brandon
All that stuff worked. Its not an unplugged wire - I found the other end of it. It was cut.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:57 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
NOTE: What you and I might see as being purple is actually Violet in the eyes of dodge.

Based exclusively on your description of the wire and it's location in the engine bay . . . . . .

That is a 20awg Violet w/White trace and is part of truck electrical circuit K6. It runs from the truck's PCM (located behind the battery) to the firewall, over to the driver's side of the rear of the engine, and forward to the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). It specifically connects the PCM's terminal 6 (5v supply) to the "A" terminal of the TPS.

Your Sig suggests you have a manual trans so it may very well be that the wire is not needed in your mess.

REF: FSM, wiring diagrams, page 8W - 67, sheet AD 26
Old 04-24-2008, 04:36 PM

Thanks BC! That would explain why I did not notice a difference. I went out and snapped a picture of it. Why I did not do that to begin with is beyond me, but anyhow, heres the picture if this helps to confirm - its obviously the one I have spliced with the purple wire and pink connectors:

Old 04-24-2008, 04:38 PM

And to add a little more info - the reason that loom has been opened up is the PO burned the headlight switch out of the truck, and instead of replacing it he wired in a toggle switch on the dash for the headlights and thats where he spliced in at....

The headlight switch has since been re-wired and replaced.