1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Please Help, engine died while driving after hitting a bump.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Please Help, engine died while driving after hitting a bump.

Hey Everyone,
I'm new to the Dodge Diesel. I just bought a 93 4x4 dually diesel and am having an issue with it. I was driving down the highway and hit a pothole, the truck completely died. The headlights work, power windows work, hazards work but the engine will not turn over. I turn the key and there is nothing at all going on. No dash lights, stereo, nothing. The battery is working as The headlights have power as do the windows. I'm going nuts trying to figure it out. Had to have it towed home. I know it is probably something simple like a fuse or loose wire but I am completely new to the Cummins engine. Thanks for helping a newbie out. Atom...
Old 05-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Atom
Hey Everyone,
I'm new to the Dodge Diesel. I just bought a 93 4x4 dually diesel and am having an issue with it. I was driving down the highway and hit a pothole, the truck completely died. The headlights work, power windows work, hazards work but the engine will not turn over. I turn the key and there is nothing at all going on. No dash lights, stereo, nothing. The battery is working as The headlights have power as do the windows. I'm going nuts trying to figure it out. Had to have it towed home. I know it is probably something simple like a fuse or loose wire but I am completely new to the Cummins engine. Thanks for helping a newbie out. Atom...

I would make sure that it is in neutral and put a hot jump straight to the starter to see if it will crank. if not your starter may have given up the ghost, with the pothole being the last straw. If it does crank, then you need to work back through the system all the way to the ignition switch. "We know it is something simple" is my mantra, until proven wrong ...good luck and welcome to the board...Mark
Old 05-10-2010, 12:02 PM

Back when I had a working shut off solenoid, the wire powering it fell off while I was driving and killed the truck. See if you have 12v going to it with the key on. If your don't, it won't matter if you get it to crank or not.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ahineman
Back when I had a working shut off solenoid, the wire powering it fell off while I was driving and killed the truck. See if you have 12v going to it with the key on. If your don't, it won't matter if you get it to crank or not.
I thought of that, but he said that it would not crank at all...I think Mark
Old 05-10-2010, 12:18 PM

Your right, but if it died while driving, the starter not working is more than likely a symptom of another problem. I don't know what all is on the same circuit, but I would say when he gets power to one, he'll have it on the other. Jumpering the starter won't get him running if he has no power to the shut off solenoid, unless he disables it.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ahineman
Your right, but if it died while driving, the starter not working is more than likely a symptom of another problem. I don't know what all is on the same circuit, but I would say when he gets power to one, he'll have it on the other. Jumpering the starter won't get him running if he has no power to the shut off solenoid, unless he disables it.
While I agree...somewhat...I know that I have hit potholes hard enough to lose teeth and future children and it could have been the last straw on a fusible link, ignition switch or any number of parts with a million or so miles on them... I just got back from Mexico and, while they may not have invented potholes or speed bumps, I believe that they have perfected them... Mark P.s. It only takes about 2 minutes for a 1 legged mechanic to jump check the starter...
Old 05-10-2010, 12:39 PM

Thanks

thanks for the replies guys,
I really appreciate it. When I hit the pothole, the truck completely died. When I turned the key to try and start it again, nothing at all happened. So I don't think it is the starter. I don't think the starter dying while driving will stop the engine. When I turn the key on, I can operate the headlights, windows, AC. But nothing else happens. No wait to start engine light, no noise, no cranking, no nada!
Where is the working shut off solenoid located. That sounds like a culprit
I'm in the middle of nowhere, so a close mechanic is not an option...
Thanks again, Atom...
PS, when the truck runs, it is a beast. I'll post photos soon...
Old 05-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Administrator

thanks for the replies guys,
I really appreciate it. When I hit the pothole, the truck completely died. When I turned the key to try and start it again, nothing at all happened. So I don't think it is the starter. I don't think the starter dying while driving will stop the engine. When I turn the key on, I can operate the headlights, windows, AC. But nothing else happens. No wait to start engine light, no noise, no cranking, no nada!
Where is the working shut off solenoid located. That sounds like a culprit
I'm in the middle of nowhere, so a close mechanic is not an option...
Thanks again, Atom...
PS, when the truck runs, it is a beast. I'll post photos soon...
To clarify, I said to start at the starter and work your way back, the IGNITION SWITCH MIGHT HAVE FAILED or any number of things along the way, like fusible links. We can guess as mechanics or we can diagnose...Good Luck...Mark, it is called being thorough...
Old 05-10-2010, 12:52 PM

I have the same truck and had the same problem. If you accesories (cigarette lighter, gauges) don't work too, its the ignition switch! Not too hard to change out, but sometimes it fries a fuseable link when it goes as well. If the truck will turn over, it is not a problem with the FSS, but you will have to jump it. This is what I did to get home when I was 100 miles away and the same thing happened to me:

Run wire from the + terminal to the Fuel Shutoff Solenoid (FSS). It is the part on the back of your injection pump with 2 wires plugged into it (blue ones). You'll hear a little click when you connect the wire, this is the FSS opening to allow fuel to the pump.

Look down at your starter. There is a large terminal with the main battery cable going to it, and a small terminal with a brown wire. Jump those 2 terminals and the truck will start (MAKE SURE YOUR IN PARK OR NEUTRAL!!). I use a hammer for this since the handle is insulated and the T of the hammer head makes it easy to arc the 2 terminals from the top of the truck looking down.

You will have to shut the truck off with the manual lever on the side of the pump, or by taking off your new wire you just rigged up. MAKE SURE to take that wire off cause it will drain your battery overnight.

The Napa ignition switch that was correct for my 93 with tilt column was listed actually under the 94+ part number, the first one was incorrect. No problems since. My fusible links were fried too, but that was probably due to an issue in the ignition switch.

Good luck bub, it should get you going.

EDIT: NAPA p/n for 93 with tilt column (but listed in Napa as 94+): KS6557. You will need a special Torx style screwdriver or key that has the security hole drilled through the middle. Either T15 or T20. I got a whole set with T handles, screw drivers, and bits for a ratchet for $15 from one of the tool stores that sells Cal-Hawk, ITT, Grip, and other cheap tools.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:54 PM

if it's a 5 speed manual, try pull starting it in second gear, if it starts then obviously its the starter. also check yer battery grounds on the block and connections at the starter. then try wiring up the shut off solenoid and see if it starts
Old 05-10-2010, 01:01 PM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
I wouldn't wast time on the starter or fuel shut off its somthing to do with the wire that feeds 12v to those things, its the main power to the egnition system, not the accessory side because the windows still work when you turn on the key, you are not getting 12v through the key switch to the fuel shut off, or the starter, or the waffel heater and all the assotiated lights for egnition. thats my thought and i have been wrong before but it was 3 years ago. If worst comes to worst and you need to get it home you can jumper 12v to the fuel shut off and to the starter and jump across the starter with a screw driver, but that needs to be the last option.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
possible the a cell in the battery broke and shorted.Are the headlites dim? Do you have about 12.5 volts at the batt?
Old 05-10-2010, 01:04 PM

Sounds like the ignition switch

dzl_damon,
Thanks for the info. Sure Sounds like the ignition switch. I'll go by the auto parts store and pick up the one for a 93 & 94. It is a 5speed. Hopefully it did not fry a fuseable link also as you mentioned. Thanks again, I'll keep ya posted. Atom...

Originally Posted by dzl_damon
I have the same truck and had the same problem. If you accesories (cigarette lighter, gauges) don't work too, its the ignition switch! Not too hard to change out, but sometimes it fries a fuseable link when it goes as well. If the truck will turn over, it is not a problem with the FSS, but you will have to jump it. This is what I did to get home when I was 100 miles away and the same thing happened to me:

Run wire from the + terminal to the Fuel Shutoff Solenoid (FSS). It is the part on the back of your injection pump with 2 wires plugged into it (blue ones). You'll hear a little click when you connect the wire, this is the FSS opening to allow fuel to the pump.

Look down at your starter. There is a large terminal with the main battery cable going to it, and a small terminal with a brown wire. Jump those 2 terminals and the truck will start (MAKE SURE YOUR IN PARK OR NEUTRAL!!). I use a hammer for this since the handle is insulated and the T of the hammer head makes it easy to arc the 2 terminals from the top of the truck looking down.

You will have to shut the truck off with the manual lever on the side of the pump, or by taking off your new wire you just rigged up. MAKE SURE to take that wire off cause it will drain your battery overnight.

The Napa ignition switch that was correct for my 93 with tilt column was listed actually under the 94+ part number, the first one was incorrect. No problems since.

Good luck bub, it should get you going.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by 1STGENFARMBOY
I wouldn't wast time on the starter or fuel shut off its somthing to do with the wire that feeds 12v to those things
You put it into words better than me, I didn't mean the shut off solenoid itself was bad, but if it didn't have power coming to it you could crank it over all day long and not get it to start.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:38 PM

dzl_damon,
Thanks for the info. Sure Sounds like the ignition switch. I'll go by the auto parts store and pick up the one for a 93 & 94. It is a 5speed. Hopefully it did not fry a fuseable link also as you mentioned. Thanks again, I'll keep ya posted. Atom...
Checking your fusible links isn't that hard. Find the cluster of 5 or 6 fusible links (Big green one, 2 orange, a gray and a white IIRC). Its aft of the battery on the driver side. Trace off the + terminal back and there will be a connection, keep going and you'll find the links. I think one of the Oranges are the ones that feed the ignition side of the ignition switch. It might be obvious (burnt out the side), if not, give a GENTLE pull on each wire. If any stretch, then the link is done.

This is the cluster, its the small, black think with 1 wire in, 5 wires out that is left of the relay in the picture:
Name:  IMG_2389.jpg
Views: 7306
Size:  81.1 KB

You can buy links at Napa. They are coded by color/gauge. You'll have to cut the old one out and crimp/solder a new one in. Or switch to Maxi fuses like I did

Quick Reply: Please Help, engine died while driving after hitting a bump.