1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Please help, Cant get truck running, fuel problem!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its an 89 dodge cummins , with a 90 motor , non intercooled. Thanks
Old 08-20-2005, 09:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brian,

Based on what I understand you to have tested, it sounds like the lift pump is working but the injection pump is not. Since you pulled the plunger out of the shut-off solonoid, that pretty much means that you're down to a dead injection pump.

Several more questions for you. You mentioned in your original post that this was an "updated" injector pump. Does that mean that it's a stock replacement or that it's been turned up? If it's been turned up before you got it, someone may have made an adjustment that damaged it and that may be the cause of your problem. If it's a stock replacement, is there any warranty left. Finally, do you still have your old motor that you could salvage the IP off of?

Sorry I can't give you better ideas at the moment. If you were closer, I'd be glad to give you a hand or take the truck off your hands if you decide to sell. Keep us posted.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:58 AM

12 valve, I actually replaced the motor, because the injector pump on that one was crap, and the motor was starting to get alittle tired , so I just said screw it , I'll buy a new motor. The motor had a stock replacement IP so i figured Id get more than about 2k miles on it before it crapped out. No warranty left.
Brian
Old 08-21-2005, 03:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brian, based on what you've described, if the rest of the truck is pretty solid, I'd sure look into getting the injection pump replaced. Yes, it's a chunk of money but that motor will last for a long time if it's an any sort of shape at all and then you'll KNOW what condition your pump is in. As you probably know, these motors are easily good for 3-500K miles and some have gone over a million w/o an overhaul.

My truck had the IP replaced before I purchased it at 169K and there's no question that I'd put a pump on it if it went bad before I'd consider getting rid of it. I'm at 231K now and expect to get 500K out of this motor. I expect the body to be shot before then but the motor should still be good as long as it's been taken care of.

Good luck and let us know what you decide or feel free to ask more questions.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:21 PM

I have it up for sale dirt cheap (2k). Im hoping someone just hauls it away. Its a 28ft flatbed tow truck . I just want it out of here. Its been one big pain in my as$. I just dont want to sink any more money into it. The motor is great...only has 93k miles on it, and ran strong. thanks for your help , I was hoping it was going to be less work to get back going.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear that your selling it buddy. I hope you have better luck on your next purchase.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:06 AM

Ahh first person who came out today bought it. It sold pretty fast. Thanks for everyone trying to help me. Take care
Brian