1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Please help, Cant get truck running, fuel problem!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help, Cant get truck running, fuel problem!

I cant seem to get my truck going. Heres what ive done so far: First off, my fuel gauge doesnt read accurately so I use my tripometer and track mileage to fill up truck. Anyways, about 90 miles short of even bein concerned about fuel, my truck wouldnt start. Thinking it possibly was out of gas, I put 10 gallons of gas in it and a new fuel filter. Still no luck. Tried bleeding lines, and only getting fuel out of the front injector line and the rear one. None of the middle injectors are pumping any fuel up. About 5 batteries later and a whole lot of cranking I decide to check the fuel pump. I disconnected the line and cranked on it, and seems to pump fuel out fine. I checked fuel going into into the filter and thats ok. I have fuel going into injector pump as well. Then i decided to check the fuel going out of the pump into the individual lines, and thats where I get a few of the lines with nothing coming out when I crank on it. Up to this point Ive had no problems. I recently put a lower mileage 90 motor (truck is an 89) and it runs great. Now after all this work of puttin another engine and countless other things, im to the point of just getting rid of it. Its a Dodge 89 flatbed tow truck , 1 ton. Can anybody shed any light on what the problem is. For the record, it has the updated injector pump already in it. I also popped the lines off all the injectors and tried squirting some starting fluid in there to see if I could get anything, but nothing. Im starting to wonder if its something other than fuel as well, as it doesnt even seem to try to start. I used starting fluid that said it was ok on diesels. I know its not a good idea but just trying anything at this point. My other diesel was ran out of gas, and it took me 5 minutes to get back going. Just cracked the lines, and it fired right up, closed them off and it was perfectly fine. No big deal. I would really appreciate anyones help, and im sorry for the novel. Thanks so much.
Brian
Old 08-18-2005, 03:34 PM

First I would take a few deep breaths...... Now My first concern would be to check that the fuel solenoid (FS) is picking up.
Here is how to check:
1. Engage the starter then leave the key on. now go into the engine compartment and attempt to lift up on the fuel rack lever (That is the one attached to the FS behind and below the intake air horn.)
If it latches or you can move it up with out latching the FS the voltage supply is at fault.
[You can run the engine without this connected to the lever it just requires you to push down on the lever to shut the engine down.]
2. If the FS is latched then you have a fuel delivery problem ie. LP or IP.
3. If the FS latches in test 1, suspect the high amp winding, or the FS relay, or
the fusable link that supplies power to the high amp winding.
a. Seperate the FS plug ground the center pin and apply +12VDC to the red wire pin. (The lever should lift.) Don't connect it long or you will melt it
If this fails it is the FS.
If this is successful check the relay and fusable link. NAPA sells the relay as a seperate item Approx.
$9.00 vs 50.00 for the pair. I got my fusable link there also.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:12 PM

Ok im not seeing this lever you speak of. Im a novice when it comes to these engines, so please bear with me. The only lever I see is on the fuel pump on the block. Also, you say IP and LP...IP is injector pump right, but what is LP? I cant find the fusible link, relay and lever you speak of. My truck is an 89 so possibly dont have that, as compared to a newer one? Hopefully , youll get back to me. Thanks
Old 08-18-2005, 04:42 PM

ScClockdr,

Are you talking about the p-pump type that they started using in 94? I think you are. So the info you gave is not usable for Mopar.

mopar, I do think you should look at the fuel shutoff solenoid, however the solenoid screws into the pump just above where all the injector lines go into the pump. There is no way to test this without taking it out. The first thing I would do is make sure you have power to the solenoid. Many trucks have had this problem. There are fusible links in the wiring harness under the drivers side hood hinge. So check for power wait a few minutes after turning the key on and check also. Then if there is no power unscrew the solenoid and take the spring and plunger out then screw the solenoid back in. Then see if it starts, taking the spring and plunger out will eliminate the function of the electric solenoid and the key now won't shut the engine off, you will have to use the manual shut off lever on the side of the pump near the fender.

check these things and then let us know what you find. Also you said you have fuel going to the IP but have you changed the fuel filter?

Aaron
Old 08-18-2005, 04:44 PM

Yes, fuel filter was changed when 10 gallons of gas was added.
Brian
Old 08-18-2005, 04:45 PM

Do you see any of the things I outlined above? the lever is on the side of the Injector pump and the solenoid is on the top just above where the fuel lines go into the back of the pump
Old 08-18-2005, 04:55 PM

I don't have time to draw arrows but both of them are in this picture.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:56 PM

Is this what your pump looks like?

The lever is right smack in the middle above the "but" The solenoid is on the right above "picture"
Old 08-18-2005, 05:41 PM

Yes, my pump is identical. I do have power going to shut off solenoid. Is there any way to bypass anything and get it running? Jumper wires, whatever.... Its weird how i only get fuel from 1 and 6th injector. No fuel comes out of the others. Well one will eventually trickle some fuel, but thats it.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:41 PM

You added gas???? That is not good.. yeah I know you meant diesel. Your start/stop solenoid is bad. First check make sure you have a good connection with the blue wire or whatever color it is on yours, if its not a loose connection, you'll need to remove the solenoids, and remove I believe its the spring and plunger, then reinstall the solenoid. Try starting then. It will start, but you won't be able to shut the truck off with the ignition key. You'll have to run a 'choke cable' to the shutdown lever on the side of the injection pump.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:51 PM

So you think for sure its this solenoid? I cant seem to get it off....i cant get a tool in there to take it off. Anyone know the correct size wrench i need. i try to get it in there and i cant even get a bite on it. Can i ask why your so sure its the start/stop solenoid? I will cut fuel out completely? Thanks for everyones patience, im slowly learning this truck. Feels like ive went completely through it, but just not up to speed on diagnosing problems. And yes i added diesel
Old 08-18-2005, 06:24 PM

bgilbert said the same thing I did in a previous post, we can't say 100% for sure its the solenoid, but they do go bad and it is easy enough to eliminate that as a problem. I don't know what size wrench it is but I have heard if you can cut the top off that bracket thats in the way it makes it much easier to remove. I've heard that you can go through the fender well might make it easier to get at.

Another thing you can try quickly is hold the go peddle to the floor while you crank.
If it starts than springs inside the pump are broken or wore out and you'll need a rebuild.

Also i'm sure you've covered this with the batteries but if the engine is not turning over fast enough it won't start.

Are you taking the injector lines all the way off or just cracking them? just crack them.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:28 PM

Also did you get the new fuel filter completely primed cause if there is any air in the system it won't want to start and it'll take a while to get the air out.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:42 PM

Yes primed fuel filter . Yah that stupid bracket gets in the way of that solenoid. I tried holding gas pedel to floor while cranking and no change. THanks
Brian
Old 08-18-2005, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, Take a few deep breaths first.The bracket that is behind the solenoid is just there to cause you undo stress. I cut mine off with a cut-off wheel, and made the whole job a lot easier. I to believe that you have a bad solenoid. if in fact you do find a bad solenoid, I have one here that is missing the plunger, well at least the rubber tip. so if you do need one you can have this one, just pay the shipping.it was used about 4 shut down's before the tip went flying. Just went to the shop and checked, it's a 15/16 end wrench that fits it.good luck.

Quick Reply: Please help, Cant get truck running, fuel problem!