1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Pics of my truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bgilbert
Oh, yeah, it looks great, forgot to add that. I had one identical to it, a 91, traded it for my crew cab.

If you go to www.randysringandpinion.com and punch in your numbers on the calculator you'll see 3.07's, 35's, 1:1 trans, 70mph= 2118rpm. 4.10's and that = 2800rpm. Do you have a 3200rpm gov spring, or adjusted your high idle screw? I guess you could still turn 2800rpm stock, but it would sure take awhile to get to 70mph, I bet it falls on it's face from 55-70 eh? Also you have to swap out the whole axle to change from 3.07's to 3.54 or 4.10's. It's not just a ring and pinion swap, whole axle assembly.

Sorry for the pissing match, I don't mean to hijack. It is a sweet looking ride, love the sleeper big time.
bgilbert,

the bill from the shop was $2100 with a posi loc. all i know what the P/O told me. and the bill from the 4x4 shop, it just dosnt specify what gears they were. there are guys running a heck of a lot faster that 70 mph with 3.07s and smaller tires. but she screams to get to 70mph, then thats all she has. but i can get to 70mph real quike. also not trying to get in a big pissing match also, and thanks for the complements on the truck. but if i had the 3.07s with the 35's i should be able to go faster than 70mph?

Bob
Old 03-13-2006, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice looking truck! How come thiers two different set of rims in the pics? Both are nice sets just wondering why?
Old 03-14-2006, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by bgilbert
Also you have to swap out the whole axle to change from 3.07's to 3.54 or 4.10's. It's not just a ring and pinion swap, whole axle assembly.
Not true. I used a set of these axles in a Jeep, found out the hard way about the D60 U series, but its a simple solution that uses a ring gear spacer. The only difference in these axles is the difference of the pinion to ring gear centerline. If you guys call Randys, they will have the correct spacer for you to change the gears (at least they did a couple of years ago when I swapped some gears in these axles)
Old 03-14-2006, 05:50 AM

Correct. You can use the spacer on the carrier still. Randy's and many other shops carry them.

Swap out the whole axles?
Old 03-14-2006, 08:50 AM

about the truck, not the gears! lol

Underpsi,

i got new wheels! the set you see on the there with the sleeper pic are the ones i have now. the other ones in the first pic had the rong offset for the wider tires. so they rubbed up front on my drag link. i put some 2'' spacers up there. but the spacers put extra stress on my front witch took out my king Pins about a year later ( not a fun re-build, 600 ft-lbs on those babys ). so i got new wheels! the other ones looked awsome with the BFG M/ts but up close they looked bad. some one acid washed them, and did a cruddy job at it. a buddy had some new weld 20"s with 37" toyos. so we did a lil swapp at the shop to see what they looked like on mine! they looked sweet. lil snug, but sweet! the wife said no too $3400 tire and wheels . some day

Bob

jslamerman, Vinsil ,

thanks for the info on the gears and axles, but come on guys give me some coments on my truck!

Bob.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:44 PM

Ah yes, sorry! It was late when I posted last night. Very nice truck.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:40 PM

Awsome Truck

90 Dodge, Awsome Lookin Truck. Love The Sleeper And The Dog. I Wish Mine Was 4x4.

Cody
Old 03-16-2006, 12:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 90dodge
Underpsi,

i got new wheels! the set you see on the there with the sleeper pic are the ones i have now. the other ones in the first pic had the rong offset for the wider tires. so they rubbed up front on my drag link. i put some 2'' spacers up there. but the spacers put extra stress on my front witch took out my king Pins about a year later ( not a fun re-build, 600 ft-lbs on those babys ). so i got new wheels! the other ones looked awsome with the BFG M/ts but up close they looked bad. some one acid washed them, and did a cruddy job at it. a buddy had some new weld 20"s with 37" toyos. so we did a lil swapp at the shop to see what they looked like on mine! they looked sweet. lil snug, but sweet! the wife said no too $3400 tire and wheels . some day

Bob.
Makes sense its much better running without the spacers. I just asked cuz they were both nice sets of rims
Old 03-16-2006, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by 90dodge
bgilbert,

the bill from the shop was $2100 with a posi loc. all i know what the P/O told me. and the bill from the 4x4 shop, it just dosnt specify what gears they were. there are guys running a heck of a lot faster that 70 mph with 3.07s and smaller tires. but she screams to get to 70mph, then thats all she has. but i can get to 70mph real quike. also not trying to get in a big pissing match also, and thanks for the complements on the truck. but if i had the 3.07s with the 35's i should be able to go faster than 70mph?

Bob
To positively identify your gearing just jack up the truck and rotate the tire one rotation and count the number of rotations of the drive shaft. The number of driveshaft rotations equals you gear ratio.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by lovemysan
To positively identify your gearing just jack up the truck and rotate the tire one rotation and count the number of rotations of the drive shaft. The number of driveshaft rotations equals you gear ratio.
it really wont if some one has a diffrent size drive shat than stock. and with bigger tires!!

Cody
Old 03-16-2006, 01:03 PM

One rotation of the drive axle would equal one rotation of the tire regardless of size. I don't see how the diameter of drive shaft or tire size would change the gear ratio of the differential. Tire size would only change distance covered given the same number of axle rotations.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:19 PM

Cool positively identify

lovemysan.

well a tire size of course wont change the gear ratio . but like you said "
To positively identify your gearing just jack up the truck and rotate the tire one rotation and count the number of rotations of the drive shaft. The number of driveshaft rotations equals you gear ratio."

well if your tire is bigger it will take more for it to rotate. and say a bigger drive shaft. one rotation woult take more.

this is not the best way to " positively identify " ones gearing!

Cody.

isnt this thread about 90dodge's pix of his truck, lol. sorry for jackin this thread.