1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Pait Jobs Are Way More Than They Use To Be

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
I just got my truck from Detroit Auto Body this afternoon somebody hit my truck behind the right rear fender and put a small crease in it, that small job cost $771.00

I had ask him how much his expensive paints are and he said some of his metallics he has shot were at $750.00 per gallon for custom paint jobs and exotic cars not including the catalyst, he also told me they had some paint that cost $100.00 per ounce.
He says an average paint job from his shop is around $2000.00 for materials, includes multiple layers of paint and clear coats.

Also some of the water base paints cost more than solvent base paints.

Jim
Old 03-23-2010, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can you say I'm wrong when going by your own figures you're already at $371.00. That leaves you with $129.00 for paint, primer, and the other odds and ends materials.
Ok because so I'd be around $600 not $500 but I was disagreeing with assumption that you need the top of the line materials in order for the paint job to last along time aswell as look great, and from my experience your wrong on that assumption.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:57 PM

It's like anything else. A Ferrari and a Nissan both provide transportation. Without a doubt the Ferrari will provide some things the Nissan will not. It does not mean it will last longer or provide a level of transportation better than the Nissan. And it does not mean the Ferrari is a good value.
However, there are those that are willing to pay for it.........
Old 03-23-2010, 09:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by beater
Ok because so I'd be around $600 not $500 but I was disagreeing with assumption that you need the top of the line materials in order for the paint job to last along time aswell as look great, and from my experience your wrong on that assumption.
I'm not saying a person needs top of the line, but from my experience for $500.00 you're getting some not so great off the shelf stuff that Foose could throw down and it still wouldn't be that great because of the quality of the product.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i got a job for my hood and my roof priced. one guy said a grand the other said seven hundred. NO THANK YOU!!!
im tryin to talk my uncle into paintin it. he's painted a few of his tractors and they look good. i just need something to stop the rust (very little as of now and i wanna keep it that way) until i can afford to repaint the whole truck CHACHING!!!!
i wanna do a black stripe in between the red
Old 04-20-2010, 08:49 PM

i was getting ready to take my truck into the shop to get an estimate on re-painting the entire truck. I wanted to get a good professional paint job that is as close to factory as I can get. I just want to repaint the truck the factory color, black clear coat. What can I expect to pay for a good professional paint job for the entire truck?
Old 04-20-2010, 09:31 PM

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts
Lots of variables on price for a complete repaint. Just the exterior, no jambs or under-hood? Mask off door handles, emblems, grill, bumpers, etc or disassemble? Pull the bed to spray back of cab and front of bed? Lots of variables on price! You can save a lot of money if you can do much of the prep. You need to talk to the shop bout your options.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:56 AM

Low cost option

You may want to consider a local teaching facility. I took my 93 to the local community college and had the roof and hood repainted. They did a good job for about $320. Down side was it took them six weeks to finish. The time depends on volume and the class structure (they learn different skills at different times during the course). Of course the school is non-profit and indeed materials alone had them in the hole, but they were thankful to have something for the students to work on. They were well supervised by an experianced instructor, all in all I was very satisfied. I had estimates of 1200 to 1400 and 3 to 5 days in the local body shops.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:06 AM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
Dang buy a cheap gun and some paint take the bull by the horns and learn how to paint,wet sand,and buff it don't take long and you will be supprised how easy painting is, body work is a little harder but with a couple of tools and asking some questions you can do it, the main thing with painting is to use a slow drying reducer so it blends good and you have a good shine.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Muted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went cheap for 3 reasons. I did not (and still don't) have a decent place to work on my truck much less an environment where paint is possible. Not having a shed to pull under is a risk I wasn't willing to take what with the random thunder storms, pine trees, and tons of pollen in the air. Second I didn't have the time to do it. My work takes me out of town often and my time at home is usually limited. Lastly, I didn't have the funds for a top of the line paint job, but the truck needed paint badly...the hood still had some semblance of paint but the roof was a solid brown rust.

I shopped around and decided to go with the top-of-the-line paint job from Fact-O-Bake. My total bill was about $1200 which included completely stripping the roof down to bare metal. This was the Dimension II paint job that includes 4 coats of urethane base and 4 coats of clear with a 4 year warranty. http://factobakebr.com/paint__collision I dropped the truck off, left town for a very much needed 4-day vacation, and when I came back I had a different truck.

Was it a show quality paint job? Not even close. There were a few places where the masking didn't quite cover everything though it wasn't noticeable. And there were a few other minor issues as well. But it was good enough for a 15+ year old dually truck that goes to the hunting camp often and pulls trailers when needed.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:58 PM

2 grand is a very good deal! At the shop I work at, a sprayable gallon is just over a thousand bucks. For us to do a complete paint job, it could be up to 10,000 bucks and at that price you still don't make much money! Shop rate is $52/hr. Once you disassemble the whole truck, strip off all the paint, fix dents or imperfections, you can figure a couple gallons of body filler. Then you need to prime the whole thing, which will take a gallon or so by the time you prime it a couple of times and block out the primer. There is a lot more work that goes into a great paint job then most people think. The beauty of it is that anyone can do it with the right patience and time.

Best of luck to you! I plan on painting my truck within the next year, but i'm having troubles finding the pin stripe to separate the two colors.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:21 PM

I have gotten 3 quotes here in Idaho, all about $5000 -$5500. The guy from the roadster show, or he used to be on it lives here, Charlie Hutton, he does paint jobs I hear, $50,000 and up...$2000 grand sounds pretty good to me. I hope its not MAACO, they are pretty dang cheap... do it right though, and I wouldn't skimp on her if you love her....
Old 04-24-2010, 04:06 PM

Received 138 Likes on 86 Posts
I have worked at 3 dealerships in the body shop and the prices they quote and sounds like alot of other shops quote there is NO WAY any shop will paint any of my stuff, but hey i guess if you can afford it, go ahead and pull it to the bodyshop with your Hummer. Just like 98 smoker said a little knowhow and a lot of patients you can save what sounds like thousands and thousands of dollars.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by 1STGENFARMBOY
I have worked at 3 dealerships in the body shop and the prices they quote and sounds like alot of other shops quote there is NO WAY any shop will paint any of my stuff, but hey i guess if you can afford it, go ahead and pull it to the bodyshop with your Hummer. Just like 98 smoker said a little knowhow and a lot of patients you can save what sounds like thousands and thousands of dollars.
TOTALLY........
Old 04-24-2010, 07:50 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I painted my truck base/clear...The materials was $175 a quart for paint(RM) and $300 for clear(Dupont)..Used a little over a gallon of base and I can't remember, but I think about 2 gallons of clear..It sure adds up.My truck is two tone black and red with gold metalic...Your most expensive paint colors from what I heard are red and yellows...Want to see expensive paint...check out House of Kolor paints....wow....Seen a TV where they where painting a Sema show car...The base paint was $2300 a quart..I don't paint for a living but a few years back when I got a price to repaint my 56 Chev,I thought I'm going to learn how to do bodywork and paint myself....You could buy a hell of alot of equipment for the price of paint jobs out there.Check my gallery for pics....My truck was painted by myself...

Quick Reply: Pait Jobs Are Way More Than They Use To Be