1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

p-pump converted guys got a Q

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
p-pump converted guys got a Q

Hey, I may have stumbled upon a P-pump n all for cheap! too cheap to post! lol

Where did u get your Injector lines, and how much did they run u?
Or any special tricks u did to use the factory second gen lines? Im getting quotes of lots of dough for these stinkin thinks. Any where from $40 Piece to 500+ for a "kit".

OH and what all am I going to need to get into my inventory before I try n install it? I dont know what all is there. All I know right now is the pump, and timing cover.
It'll be awhile after I get my hands on it and home before It'd go in. I have to get a lift pump to power it. I would like to have my paws on it, and in before June 9th.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll need the pump, timing cover, timing cover cover, lift pump (either 2nd gen or an electric capable of ~45psi), fuel lines, modify the throttle linkage to work with the P-pump, and some other stuff I'm probably not thinking of at the moment.

Cheap power
Old 04-03-2007, 12:24 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Lots of time. To change the timing gear housing, the cam comes out.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:13 AM

Yep injection lines are high dollar. Look to pay anywhere from $40 and up.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:44 AM

ouch, that hurts! Columbus diesel told me that the nuts are a different size between the first and second gen injectors. Is this true? Cause that right there is enough to cause the wallet to stretch even more, gunna need second gen injecters to keep the "over time" cost down.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cowboy_Customs
ouch, that hurts! Columbus diesel told me that the nuts are a different size between the first and second gen injectors. Is this true? Cause that right there is enough to cause the wallet to stretch even more, gunna need second gen injecters to keep the "over time" cost down.
THe nuts on the VE injectors are 12 mm and the P pumped are 14 mm.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
will the cam pull through the core support, or does that have to come off? I get the feeling I might be helping out on this one
Old 04-04-2007, 11:27 PM

Don't P pump injectors need different pop pressure anyway besides having the wrong size top? I've seen whole P pump motors pretty cheap, there is a lot to change.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by G1625S
will the cam pull through the core support, or does that have to come off? I get the feeling I might be helping out on this one
I would say yes, at least on my 89 it sure looked that way when I did my kdp. The piece of the core support that runs up and down in the center is in the way of the cam gear.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bookshelf
Don't P pump injectors need different pop pressure anyway besides having the wrong size top? I've seen whole P pump motors pretty cheap, there is a lot to change.
P pump injectors are set at a higher "pop" pressure compared to the VE pumped engines. My stock injectors weree set at 245 bar and the 190's are set at 250 bar. I have not seen a number for the second gen injectors yet but everyone that I talk to about swapping out some second gen injectors tell me it won't work with the ve pump. I even thought about putting 370 tips on the stock injectors but, the spray pattern is different to accomodate the different shaped bowl in the piston. If I was to "p pump" my truck, I would buy a good used complete second gen eng. and work with that. You can get a running take out for what you would put in just the pump and injectors. But then you would miss all the fun of bombing the VE pump powered truck.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by G1625S
Aww... comeon, ya didnt really think Id need help tearin up a motor did ya? After all, YOU did the 366 spring! I'll be needing all the help I can get if this isnt a too good to be true deal.

Different spray pattern injectors, and different pistons huh? HMMM...... what to do, what to do! This is acctually becoming interesting, I havent heard some of this before. Now why does the cam need to come out???

I think with all this stinkin work that has to be done, a rebuild might be in the near future, **harp plays, screen gets wavy, ahhh lala land acheived, visions of head studs, helix camshafts, PDR heads float through the air......**

Old 04-05-2007, 12:41 PM

Different spray pattern injectors, and different pistons huh? HMMM...... what to do, what to do! This is acctually becoming interesting, I havent heard some of this before. Now why does the cam need to come out???

I think with all this stinkin work that has to be done, a rebuild might be in the near future, **harp plays, screen gets wavy, ahhh lala land acheived, visions of head studs, helix camshafts, PDR heads float through the air......**

The cam has to come out to put the different timing gearcase thingamabobber on. The P-Pumps weigh around 50 pounds; they need a heavier timing gearcase to support the weight.

WAKE UP

I think the same things as I sit in school...
Old 04-05-2007, 01:04 PM

Yeh!, My engine stand is rated for 1000 pounds. Might need a little beefing up. TRCM may still have the engine and drive gear out of a second gen for sale. Check out the classifieds.

Don't mind me..........I'm only trying to help push you down that slippery slope.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:32 PM

I am picking up parts for this same conversion. The parts I know you will need are front cover,p-pump,p-pump gear,injector lines,injectors,injector return lines,lift pump,injection pump fuel and oil feed lines,throttle linkage,and pump rear mount.I belive I will need to clearence the head/intake manifold also.One thing I am not sure of if the p-pump will clear ps/vaccum pump for the 93 or if I will need one off a 2nd gen.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:44 PM

The inj. pump will clear the p/s pump.

Rick

Quick Reply: p-pump converted guys got a Q