1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Opps! I killed it.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 06:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crossy's son
You broke the intermediate before the input?? you're a beast.

The non-lockup inputs are alot stronger than the lockup ones.

Dave, I'll bet there was a stress riser coming from that spacer groove. Had to be to break that clean.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's weird as i was reading this i saw what "RSWORDS" did to his Output on 1stgen.org

Towards bottom of the page. http://www.1stgen.org/viewtopic.php?...art=585#p58022
Old 04-18-2010, 09:52 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BC847
Actually, . . . no.

>There will always be a faster truck<

My thinking has always been to draw a line in the sand. I'm gonna keep it a 1st gen truck. In my mind that means a VE fueled Cummins, and a Non lock-up A518 trans.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the last four or so years of "Run What'cha Brung" drag racing where I drive to the track, whoop at least 80% of those who line-up with me, and drive it home. That last part's nice. In all that time, beating the crap out of my truck, this is the first time I've had to get it towed home from the track.

I believe the non lock-up converter has been a MAJOR player in preventing shock loads from breaking my mess. I know there's a LOT of time that could be trimmed from an ET going to lock-up. But hey, I broke an intermediate shaft without it. Can you imagine what might have been broken by now with it?

I know full well that with a lock-up, my pants would fit funny after the first few passes.

The night I broke, there was a fella offering me a used complete NOx system for $150. Nah, I'd break something.

Truthfully, I don't mind tearing into the trans and bombing it. It's the pulling it out and reinstalling it that I dread.

It's still fun. I want to keep it that way.

At least, that's what I'm telling myself.

Keep telling myself . . . . .

The racing mess is a powerful addiction.
LOVE that pic!
Old 04-18-2010, 11:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love how you refuse to put smaller tires on it which would probably knock off a tenth. So you leave the big tires on there to give it even MORE of a sleeper look
Old 04-18-2010, 02:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Big tires don't slip as much either though. If I put my stock ones back on I have traction problems.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:37 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
It also effects final gear ratio. With the 33" tires, I'm at the top-end of third gear when I cross the 1/8th mile line. I'm at the top of OD in the 1/4th.

(Top-end being 3500ish engine rpms / past peak torque and HP beginning to roll off).
Old 04-18-2010, 03:43 PM
1st Generation Admin

I've been going over the numbers in my head and today I'm thinking I can get some of the advantage of a lock-up converter by simply having the existing non lock-up converter tightened (by SunCoast. Think of going from an 89% efficient unit to 92% for example). With that, the full expense of converting to an 47RH is negated. And assuming my case is still good, upgrade the '93 vintage hard-parts to the 47RH stuff (steel planetary w/increased spider count, etc).

Hmmmm . . . .. .
Old 04-19-2010, 09:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW that looks like it hurt!!!
Didn’t you put some 47RH stuff in there already?
Jim
Old 04-22-2010, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did you have that truck at fayettevile about 3 sundays ago i live right around the corner from there and my friend called and told me about your truck he knows how slow my truck is and was amazed that a first gen could do 13's in the quater
Old 04-22-2010, 07:59 AM
1st Generation Admin

Originally Posted by FASTRTHNU2
did you have that truck at fayettevile about 3 sundays ago i live right around the corner from there and my friend called and told me about your truck he knows how slow my truck is and was amazed that a first gen could do 13's in the quater
Yup, that was me. Made three or four passes while dinking with the IP timing. The last pass was the quickest of the day at 13.3something. Still working on it.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:15 AM

how often do run at fayetteville i would like to see your truck theres not man modded 1st gens around here and i could youse some pointers on makin mine a little faster
Old 04-22-2010, 06:36 PM

Dave,did you do that at Benson? I saw you wouldn't make it to the "Rock" last week cause you broke something.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:07 PM
1st Generation Admin

Originally Posted by FASTRTHNU2
how often do run at fayetteville i would like to see your truck theres not man modded 1st gens around here and i could youse some pointers on makin mine a little faster
I run there every now and then. It's the closest 1/4 mile track. It's gonna most likely be a few weeks before I make it there again.

Originally Posted by AUGIE DOG
Dave,did you do that at Benson? I saw you wouldn't make it to the "Rock" last week cause you broke something.
Yup, the Thursday before "The Rock". I'm glad it broke in Benson and not Rockingham.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:45 PM
1st Generation Admin

Thumbs up

Well, . . . . . . >sigh<

I've just finished the most refreshing telephone conversation I've had in a long time. My Daddy told me a while back that "A smart man doesn't need to know everything, only who to call".

A year and a half ago when I rebuilt my transmission, I bought the torque converter and other upgrade stuff from SunCoast, the balance came from PATC. While I rebuilt the trans based on the Dodge FSM, I still called SunCoast and PATC a lot with questions. Both were very helpful.
With me hot-rodding the truck even harder these days, I figured it'd be a good idea to call SunCoast regarding my current predicament. Knowing I'm still gonna race it (beat on it), how far do I need to take it all things considered?

I talked to Eric (one of the Dodge trans guys w/SunCoast) about what happened, and what I plan on doing to/with the truck.

Originally Posted by rockjeep73
Replace it with a NEW stock intermediate. My brother broke the intermediate shaft in his trans just sitting still building boost, broke the same as yours. We replaced it with a new stock shaft and no problems since.
Originally Posted by JD730
Dave, I'll bet there was a stress riser coming from that spacer groove. Had to be to break that clean.
Eric agrees that where and the way my intermediate shaft broke, it was most likely a stress-riser as a root-cause. A fracture there is not that common apparently. He was more surprised that I was still running the stock/OEM front aluminum planetary.

Based on my plans of:
- Keeping the VE rotary injection pump (thus limiting my total power to a fairly well defined range).
- Keeping the NON lock-up A518 transmission.

* I don't need billet anything! A converter that's locked just after the lights go green in a drag race is primarily what breaks things. That being the shock loads presented at each gear change. My NON lock-up converter can't do that. Certainly I'm losing some ET at the track, but then this is the 1st time I've ever broke anything.
* I don't want to upgrade to the newer design intermediate shaft ether. Ours runs "Straight-Cut" Sun-gear teeth. The newer design uses teeth with a 15* or so twist (pardon my terminology). I thought it was an improvement strength wise, wrong. That was done to reduce gear-train noise! The straight-cut Sun-gears are stronger.
* And other stuff.

I was quite frank with him, in that I ain't into pulling the trans, . . . . at all! I asked Eric that if he were to build a trans like mine (with all the upgrades I've done thus far), without billet shafts, . . .. would he feel comfortable doing 20psig boosted launches. His response was, to the effect: "I'd give it all it was worth!".

-> If I had decided to go Full Billet (all three shafts), with all the crap to make them fit, that man just saved me $3500. I greatly appreciate his honesty.

In fact, based on my description of what I've done to the trans build wise, and based on how the shaft broke, the lack of any appreciable friction material in the pan, etc, Eric suggested simply putting in a new stock intermediate shaft and run the crap out of it.

I've got to stop and recypher the whole thing now. And I'm tickled pink about it!
Old 04-27-2010, 07:14 PM

^^Awesome deal.
I was starting to get worried, with several people breaking shafts I figured I would be next. Thanks for posting the info.

Quick Reply: Opps! I killed it.