1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Operating A518 OD without PCM

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 04:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Operating A518 OD without PCM

I wonder if this is possible, to operate the OD in the A518 without having the PCM, or even the wiring.

Background
I have a '93 D250 with a good 6bt and a 518. The wiring is a mess, most of it is corroded beyond repair, and has been unreliably for the past couple of years. I would like to swap this combo into anything I choose, from a '29 ford roadster to a M35 duece.

So, I ask, is this possible?
I read the stickey "Another way to fix OD", but it refers to using the factory wiring to the trans. Is the principle the same, using the pressure ports and oil/fuel sending units, but using my new wiring harness custom built for said vehicle?

If it is the same as above stickey, does anybody have a schematic of the wiring/plumbing? I understand the idea, just can't quite grasb the wiring, helps if I have something to follow.

Thanks a bunch

Matt
Old 04-18-2012, 06:57 AM

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
I think it would be just a couple of wires and a switch to make it work.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you want it to be on a toggle you just run power to od solenoid and ground it with a toggle switch. or you can run it off of a pressure switch off the governor pressure side. theres a few write ups if you search for them.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 AM
Banned

yea, plenty of info to search through. but yes it is a simple 2 wire affair. there are literally hundreds of ways to do it. i used an old floor mounted dimmer switch. one side of the dimmer grounds the O.D. solenoid (engages), and the other grounds a 12v green LED light in the dash. that way i know for sure when the O.D. is disengaged.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:22 PM

I have the a500 in my Fury wired so that 1 toggle turns it all off and a 2nd will just turn off lockup (not and issue for you). Both functions run on pressure switches so they are fully automatic when on, downshift/kickout included.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The short answer is yes. Based on your description of the donor vehicle you might consider going to a you pull it yard and getting the transmission plug if you are dealing with a lot of corrosion. I would highly recommend that you use a pressure switch as a minimum control method as it gets really old remembering to flip it in and out at each stop light etc. you will most probably want to add a toggle somewhere in the cab so that you have the ability to downshift for passing. The pressure switch also makes the vehicle friendly or other drivers. Just my two cents, Mike.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:16 AM

I set my 47rh with pressure switches and a wot switch works great, on a toggle with auto off on. I found a 12volt plc with a pulse input for $120ish was going to use if the switches didn't work but pressure switches are working good.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Santaclaus
The short answer is yes. Based on your description of the donor vehicle you might consider going to a you pull it yard and getting the transmission plug if you are dealing with a lot of corrosion. I would highly recommend that you use a pressure switch as a minimum control method as it gets really old remembering to flip it in and out at each stop light etc. you will most probably want to add a toggle somewhere in the cab so that you have the ability to downshift for passing. The pressure switch also makes the vehicle friendly or other drivers. Just my two cents, Mike.
The tranny plug is still good, the wiring issues are under the hood. I'll do some more searching on this, and see what I come up with. I like the pressure switch idea, and running a pushbutton or toggle to engage/disengage the OD
Old 04-19-2012, 04:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have mine on a toggle and i love it,,but i think i will do the pressure switch too it gets so old trying to teach someone how to drive my truck,,every one says its like starting a b 17 bomber you need a checklist for all the switches,,,,i just call it anti theft measures,,,,
Old 04-19-2012, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
I think it is the PATC trans website that gives you all the info you need.

Here you go, towards the bottom.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm