1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

One of our guys making progress here....

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 01:28 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of our guys making progress here....

Well guys, I'm a bit happy to see one of our guys making some progress in getting his truck Bomb'd....
He just put in/on some brand new stuff that should make a few "F's" and "C's" respect him a little more....and he did it all himself (you should see the detailed list of "to do's&quot with the "tricks" supplied by "The Maestro of HP" at PDR.... :
Right Nicholas??? OUTSTANDING JOB !!
Can't wait for the dyno numbers...before and after you tweak settings....

Bob.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:01 AM

Re:One of our guys making progress here....

How about a little detail Bob, I have a to do list for my truck, but nothing on my list will make more hp, just make it ride a little better. I'd say I need shocks, still have the factory ones on
Old 11-11-2002, 04:50 PM

Yep...My 1st gen. is now moderatly bomb'd, and running stronger than ever. The new injection pump, and Lucas POD's injectors working just outstanding. See my sig. block for additional truck details. I still have some residual air left in the fuel injection system. Everyday, when I start the truck...for the last 10 days or so...I have been slowly purging the air out of the fuel injection system. Today, injectors 1, and 3 had 2-3 seconds foam/air, all the other injectors looked fine. My boost is still 20-21 psi @wot, unloaded and on flat terrain, stock injection pump, and slightly advanced timing.<br><br>Items left to do yet:<br><br>-Test the truck on the Dyno at Cummins in De Pere, WI ;D.<br>-Install new front leaf springs &amp; shocks...The springs presently on the truck are sagging something fierce .<br><br>Items left to install, after I can get my Finances/$$$ squared away:<br><br>-DTT 89% Torque Converter<br>-DTT Valve Body<br>-Dyno again after the DTT items are installed ;D.<br>-Find more Powerjokes, Duraduds, and Ricers to play with ;D.<br><br>All together, I am very satified with the new items, and modifications I have made. I hope my truck continues to run as well as it does now.<br><br>Well, Have a great day everyone!<br><br>Respectfully,<br><br>Nicholas R. Gajewski<br><br><br>
Old 11-11-2002, 07:18 PM

Hey Nicholas- <br><br>What was your average mpg before the PODs &amp; turbo housing change?<br><br>Why did you change the pump?<br><br>I'm looking to do mine very similar to yours. i worry about the Tranny and VE pump
Old 11-11-2002, 09:30 PM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

If you put in some larger injectors, tweak the pump, and set the pump timing you should not have to worry about the VE.
Now, if you go hog wild with it, and max out everything day in day out, then you're looking for failure sooner of later.
The injectors will actually ease the stress on the pump.
They also result in needing to crank it up far less than with stock nozzles.
The tranny is actually pretty good. You should increase your line pressure a bit. Say to 58-59 psi.
Do a full service on it and maybe look at a shift kit for it till you can get an uprated system like DTT's.
Generally though it will do the job for now. The weak spot is the darn convertor. It has too high a stall speed for our trucks. Other than that, you're good to go...
My current mileage with the POD's etc as per sig. is around 18.5 mpg US.
bob.
Old 11-11-2002, 11:22 PM

Bushy-

How do you increase the line pressure?

(note to self: get big book on automatics with LOTS of pictures)
Old 11-11-2002, 11:28 PM

Jbolt,<br><br>I have not calculated my average mpg yet...I will soon though. I have not taken the truck on any long trips to obtain an accurate measurement of the mpg. I would guess my average mpg is about the same as Bushy's 18.5-19 mpg.<br><br>It's long story why I ended up changing the injection pump...To make a long story short...some of the critical operating components were scored up beyond reasonable repair in the injection pump. That's was the biggest reason why I changed the injection pump.<br><br>Otherwise, my tranny seems to doing fine. I have not detected any excessive slippage, burnt fluid, or metallic particals yet. One thing's for sure though, I will not be increasing the injection pump settings any more than what they are until I can afford to purchase a DTT system. After I have the DTT system, I may up the timing slightly, turn the eccentric for more fuel, and turn the full load screw in 1/2 turn or so.<br><br>Well I hope that answers your questions thourghly. Have a great evening!<br><br>Respectfully,<br><br>Nicholas R. Gajewski
Old 11-14-2002, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's great to see another 1st Gen. &quot;makin&quot; numbers. It sure is nice to have that extra power when you need/want it. I am working on some changes to squeeze a little more out of mine - looking to move up to 275/600 area. So far my upgrades have only improved my mileage. As long as I keep my right foot in check that is. ;D It's nice to surprise a &quot;ricer&quot; occasionally.<br>Bob
Old 11-14-2002, 10:23 AM
Chapter President

What is the cost of these super upgrades? ??? :
Old 11-15-2002, 12:31 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Pretty well all of the injection pump tweaks are FREE !!!.... the only exception is the pump timing, unless you do it yourself.
Personally I choose to have 'the man' do it... his ear is better'n any instrument you'll ever find.
The injectors vary in price depending on which you like for your desired results... here's a link to check out. Look under 1st Gen listings
http://www.piersdiesel.com/
A decent set of gauges are a must as well as good exhaust, say 3 1/2&quot; mandrel bent or 4&quot; if you want, though not necessary for our HP potential.
You can get one heck of a start for under $1000.

Jbolt,

Check out his link for tranny info including how to adjust line pressure. You'll also want to make sure that your max internal pressure at WOT is up to spec. This is easily done by a competent tranny man with a gauge and 20 minutes of time.
Here's the link....
http://www.dieseltrans.com/phpBB/index.php

bob.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:24 AM

I'm trying to figure out something. I put a boost guage on my 93 and with just the pump turned up all the way I can hin 25psi of boost. with the stock housing. I see that that is a lot higher than people with the pod's and other stuff. Why am I getting more boost than them?
Old 11-15-2002, 05:24 PM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Hi Dodgeman01,<br>25psi is normal for a stock set up with pump turned all the way up. Before I went with the setup I have now I could hit 30psi with only turning the pump up 3/4 of max with stock everything.<br> Most of the guys like BushWakr and others with POD's etc chose to turn their pumps down so it will last. Bigger injectors will flow alot of fuel with min amount of wear on the pump. Do your pump a favour and get bigger injectors. You will love them.<br><br>mark <br>PDR - Black Sheep Racing
Old 11-16-2002, 10:56 PM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Yup, mark is right on... I've got my pump de-tuned a bit so as to keep smoke/EGT's/pump wear down. I'm at the point right now were even a slight touch on the pump will make a large jump in boost/smoke and HP. I got this thing right on the edge so to speak... <br>I once took a look at 299HP and didn't like the smoke/temps... it was kinda fun though.... <br><br>Bob..