1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Ok, Need some help here (Going on a trip)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, Need some help here (Going on a trip)

I am gonna do a road trip. The truck is gonna haul a 76-78(?) 24ft GN enclosed livestock trailer. Heavy as can be. My church is gonna send 2 pallets of shingles down to New Orleans. I will be passing through IL, MO, TN, MS and LA. The pallets weigh approx. 3k# each.

So my ?'s are:

Will my truck handle it?
What kind of mpg can I possibly get?
Any laws I need to know about (I am gonna get truck and trailer inspected)?
Will I be overloaded (Farmer grain scales are near me)?

Trailer is heavy. Dont know how heavy it is (fits 6 horses,4 draft horses+a little). I am guessing around 4k, if not more.

I will have maybe some extra $$$. I will probably get a BHAF and a Stage III from HTT. I might also put in a fuel gauge and maybe a boost. Anything else? With my mods, I can't hit 900* yet but haven't really tried. Will doing a BHAF and turbo upgrade allow me to push more fuel without melting anything? Or will it be detrimental to my cause? I want decent mpg's but I wanna keep up with traffic in N.O. I have been there already

Thanks!

Jon

PS Brakes are new all around, less than 300 miles.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
With the 4.10 you should be fine. For power you could always turn up the fuel a little more and just be careful, watch your pyro. My pump is maxed and I only hit 1100 with it to the floor in OD (but my exhaust is real free flowing) just to give you an idea. A turbo upgrade can never hurt, though, if you want to do it anyway. I hope the trip goes well. Make sure you bring a tow strap in case you see any stranded PS's that need a tug to the nearest rest stop!
Old 05-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Make sure you have working trailer brakes.

Expect 13-14 mpg if you keep speeds reasonable.

More air can't hurt anything. I wouldn't add fuel until you see how EGT is with a load on.

You will be right near the rated GCVWR for the truck, but it will do fine.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:04 PM

My pump is maxed. The trailer brakes work (I have used the trailer before). The EGT's didn't go sky high but I had not put on the 3200 rpm spring and the power screw had only 1 turn. I think I hit 900* but that was going up hill at 30 mph in 3rd accelerating. Will the BHAF and turbo help with MPG's??

BTW I am leaving (Lord willing) May 31st. I will be coming back June 2.

Thanks
Old 05-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Any mpg gain from the BHAF will be marginal, but neither mod will hurt mpg.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:46 PM
KRB

Received 527 Likes on 366 Posts
6K of shingles is 4-6 cows or maybe 3+ LARGE horses. Weight shouldn't be a problem as far as what you're rated for. As for the trailer, check the bearing play and tire pressure. Don't forget lights as well as the brakes. Since you are not commercial and no money is changing hands you shouldn't have to worry about scales but that doesn't mean that the DOTs can't still pull you over for fun. Thats why lights and everything else in working order helps! Since its not your trailer (I'm guessing) you should be double sure you know how the gooseneck locks and take care of the safety chain.

I get 12mpg pulling 6-10K with my set up.

Good luck with your worthy cause, and have fun!
Old 05-07-2007, 05:50 PM

KRB, It is my trailer (farm used). I am rewiring tomorrow as the left brake/turn lights dont work and found a couple of wires where the coating was completely rubbed off!

DO you think I need a Fuel gauge or boost? All I have as of right now is the pyro.

New tires on the trailer are a must. Brakes work

Do we have the WH1C? I am looking at htt's website and cant find the H1C's.

Thanks All

Last edited by dieselJon; 05-07-2007 at 05:54 PM. Reason: More info
Old 05-07-2007, 05:54 PM
Adminstrator-ess

You will be OK with the pyro. Boost is fun to watch.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:00 PM
KRB

Received 527 Likes on 366 Posts
Pyro will keep you from hurting something important so it it always good. Boost is good FYI and can help troubleshoot, etc. Plus its fun to watch!

Do you know the trailer weight empty? May not hurt to find out if you have those scales nearby. Pulling probably won't be as important as stopping in your case. . I rarely have a problem when loaded, its when other drivers GIVE me a problem that stopping distance becomes important! .

When you start out get aquainted with the weighted trailer and brake adjustments so you have good drag without lock up.

Good thing you are redoing the wiring. Seems like I have to do mine every year. (Parking where the sheep and calves can't chew em would help prolly).

In KY we have "farm tags" and that lets us rednecks do dang near anything on the road but that privilage/evolutionary tool ends at the state line.

Got your spare tires, fluids, tools etc?
Old 05-08-2007, 02:59 AM

Fluids to be done about a week before, gonna have 1 spare for the trailer, none for the truck I have a adjustable brake controller. So from what I read here:

No need for extra gauges
Check brakes and fluids
No need for turbo upgrade
And watch out for other idiots

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2007, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a tip from someone that has had multiple trailer flats... FIND ANOTHER SPARE! You'd be surprised how many times one tire will take out the other or the thing you run over will take out BOTH! Believe me when I say jacking one axle up, securing it to the frame, and limping off the highway to find a tire @ 0300 in BFE *just *plain *sucks!

Depending on the lug pattern of the trailer (some of the bigger axles use the same 8 on 6.5" pattern as the truck), you can double duty the spares.

Also, not sure when your departure is, but I have a brand new Isspro boost gauge (R5613R) I'd sell for $35 shipped...
Old 05-08-2007, 09:46 AM

towed alot all my life extra everything helps. spare tires . oil. antifreeze. roll of wire and some connectors. good deal it is your trailer you know the last time the wheel bearings were worked on
Old 05-08-2007, 12:47 PM

i tow a lot, mainly horses and cattle, get a spare for the truck for sure, and at least 2 for the trailer, the bhaf and turbo will help and be a great way to have fun w/ a new mod being in the truck for a good amount of time, fluids are a definate, check that brakes over and over, dont speed, our trucks loaded are like stoping a train! carry some extra fluids w/ you, and a strap! good luck
Old 05-08-2007, 06:46 PM

towing

get some spares make sure you got good brakes other than that dont even worry about the weight your gona be just fine just bring along some tools and spare oil antifreeze etc and i get 14 mpg
Old 05-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Chapter President

As others have said get more spare tires.

Quick Reply: Ok, Need some help here (Going on a trip)