1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Oil Pressure Gauge ??? Sending Unit ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Oil Pressure Gauge ??? Sending Unit ??

We just got our first real decent COLD snap up here....My truck always runs just a little past the second mark on the oil pressure gauge......Today after the truck was up to temp, it was only half way past the first mark when warm and at road speed ???? And at an idel it was NOT even touching thefirst LOW mark...????What gives ????Are these electric gauges in the dash ??? Are they very tempermental??? Where is the Oil pressure sending unit ??? If anything, I would have expected it to be a little higher....oil heavy and COLDER ???? Anyway, I will put a direct gauge on tomorrow, I dont think there is anything wrong with the oil pump or with the actual pressure, I have a feeling it wants me to pull the dash out.... Canucktrucks
Old 12-14-2004, 07:23 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
The sending unit is low on the left side of the block, right behind the p/s pump, and is the likely culprit on a 92. But check the cooling system for oil contamination, just in case the oil cooler sprung a leak. Check the oil dipstick for any contamination too.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks....

Originally posted by torquefan
The sending unit is low on the left side of the block, right behind the p/s pump, and is the likely culprit on a 92. But check the cooling system for oil contamination, just in case the oil cooler sprung a leak. Check the oil dipstick for any contamination too.

I just changed the coolant in the truck, flushed everything, put a new thermostat in changed serp-belt, oil change and filter, set pump timing, Lucas POD's, exhaust, set the lash, made new battery cables, installed NEW 1010 cca battery, installed new sterio, all new rotors, pads, calipars, new drums, shoes, hardware kits, wheel cylenders, boost and pyro gauges, 4 new tires etc etc.....everything looked real clean and good.....chances are it's the sending unit.....I kinda thought I had finished wrenching on it, but I guess NOT......I will try and get one tomorrow.....thanks for your input.....Canucktrucks
Old 12-15-2004, 12:36 AM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
While you're at it, get the tool for replacing the unit. It's a special deep socket that's absolutely necessary for getting the sender out. They put it down in a hole where you can't get hold of it otherwise. The tool is another $6-7 but it beats a second trip to the store.