1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Oil and fuel filter change how too's....

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil and fuel filter change how too's....

Well i bought my truck back in May. I barely drive it,(once a week to work, and during the summer it sees weekend towing duties). Ive done all the starter mods for teh most part and figured it was time for some fluid checks again and change them this time so i have my own records.
Here is what i did and everythign went smoothly today.

Oil change......
1. remove oil fill cap behind radiator
2. place 5 gal bucket under drain plug and remove to drain oil.
3. while draining I slipped the oil filter wrench on teh oil filter, then i slipped a large ziplock bag under teh filter and removed the filter with no spills. Then checked filter to make sure rubber gasket came off.
4. Filled new filter with new oil and installed.
5. replaced drain plug and removed 5 gal bucket
6. Filled with 3 gallons of oil.
7. replaced oil fil cap to fill tube.

*insert drink beer anywhere above*

Fule filter change
1. Unplugged the WIF electricle connection
2. removed the filter with a smaller filter wrench(being carefull not to tip as best i could to avoid spilling.
3. poured contents from filted into a glass jar as i will use the old dirty fuel for cleaning renches and sockets and such.
4. removed the WIF sensor from teh old filter and removed the larger (round) o ring from teh sensor as well and installed the new one on teh sensor.
5. installed the WIF sensor in teh new filter
6. removed the smaller of the 2 supplied orings off the threaded portion of the mount on the block. then installed the new one in teh same place.
7. Filled the new filter full with soem fuel additive and installed in mount.
8. pumped the manual lever 10 times on teh lift pump.

I choose to use shell rotella for my oil and power service fuel additive as i can get both at my wally world.

At this time i double checked everything was in place and snugged up. Started her up and purred like a new truck. Let her warm up for a couple of min and went for a 20min drive. Came back and checked for leaks. None to be had.
I am posting this for people who have never done maintence on a diesel (like myself). This was my first time and went smoothly as planned. I hope this helps other 1st timers.

jiMMy
Old 12-18-2004, 05:44 PM

If you didn't remove the air intake hose from the filter it makes the oil filter alittle tougher to get to. I like to pull it out of the way.

I also went with the Rotella at wally world, they did have Delo and might go with that next time. The Rotella stinks out the breather for the first 1K miles or so.

just don't use the Fram filters at walmart. I can get wix at the local carquest or Baldwin at the hardware/farm store. I currently use baldwin even though the place is overpriced on them by a few bucks.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:47 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Fun and easy, isn't it? FYI, the Ziploc trick isn't necessary. There's no anti-drainback valve in the filter so the oil is usually at least 1/2 inch down from the top. I've never spilled it, I put the new one on with more oil in it than the old one had.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:07 PM

Where is the WIF sensor anyway. It isn't directly on the fuel filter is it? Mine isn't anyway.

Thanks

Jeff
Old 12-18-2004, 06:26 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
On a 1st gen the WIF sensor screws into the bottom of the fuel filter. The water drain is part of the WIF sensor module.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by andyr354
If you didn't remove the air intake hose from the filter it makes the oil filter alittle tougher to get to. I like to pull it out of the way.

I also went with the Rotella at wally world, they did have Delo and might go with that next time. The Rotella stinks out the breather for the first 1K miles or so.

just don't use the Fram filters at walmart. I can get wix at the local carquest or Baldwin at the hardware/farm store. I currently use baldwin even though the place is overpriced on them by a few bucks.
I did not remove the air inlet tube. it would make thinks easy to get to but i still had zero problems with it there anyways.

i used fleetgaurd filters for both apps.
jiMMy
Old 12-18-2004, 08:06 PM

What is wrong with Fram filters? I have always used them in my other vehicles with good results.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:48 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

They say the filter media can come apart and block oil passages. I've read that some dealers will void a warranty if used. Not sure if it's all engines having a problem or just diesels as they use heavier oil. CTD's also have oil jets/squirters that shoot the bottom of the cylinder bore that may get plugged.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:29 PM

FWIW, Fram PH3976 was the "old" filter that MAY have had a few problems here and there BUT Fram updated the media with PH3976A which should tale care of any problems....Our company uses Fram exclusively on all the trucks....Never had a problem with any of them....I read in another post you may hear of Fram having problems but its may be just because there are so many users out there that you can help but have a problem here and there.....I'd imagine problems as a percent of sales should be fairly low tho....
Andrew
Old 12-19-2004, 08:41 PM

So something should screw into the bottom of the fuel filter? I must not have a WIF sensor then because there is nothing connected to the drain on my fuel filter.

thanks

jeff
Old 12-19-2004, 09:01 PM

I went to my CIH dealer when they were haveing a filter sale, and i bought a case of "Fleetguard", end of problem!!!

At that time, i had checked at NAPA, and with my discount, they would have been $1.00 ea. cheaper than the Fleetguards. That's a dollar not worth trying to save for me...

I use 15W-40 Rotella in all my other equipment, so the Dodge gets the same thing..

I won't use Power Service in my diesels, it's Standadyne (sp?) or nothing, and it's nothing 99% of the time...

Robert
Old 12-20-2004, 08:38 AM

I get the filter and the fuel filter right from cummins, and also use rotella. Come to think of it, I also have enjoyed JimmyCTD's practice of drinking beer during oil changes. It's a very therapeutic experience for both you and your truck.