1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

OIL EVERYWHERE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OIL EVERYWHERE!!!

Hey fellas im in need of some help on my 93 its leaking pretty bad for some reason now the whole oil pan is covered the whole axle is cover and all the way back to the fuel tank is coated! its drippin everywhere! i cant exactely tell where is coming from! top of the engine is clean u get down the the powersteering pump and thats where its all starting to get oily but power steering pump is full! checked oil now a quart low! can it be coming out of the dipstick tube? everything is clean but that all the way down it its covered in oil! or i have a gasket gone south? help! Andy
Old 04-22-2003, 03:08 PM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Re:OIL EVERYWHERE!!!

Hi Andy,<br><br>Geezzz I hate to hear that kinda thing.... by any chance did you hear a nasty noise when this began??? Was the truck running when it started? More info would help....<br>Take a close look at the gear case cover on the front of the engine.<br>Lay underneath the front of the truck, just to the passenger side of center... you're looking for cracks in the gear casing. Do you see signs of oil in that area???<br>I'm really hoping that this is not a KDP problem. If it is, you'll see signs of cracks in the alum. casting cover. :'(<br>Ususally this happens when the dowel pin comes out, and gets caught between the inner face of the case and a gear.<br>Can you wash everything down nice and clean, start it up and dash underneath to look for the first sign of leaks.???<br><br>Fill us in a bit more...<br><br>Bob
Old 04-22-2003, 03:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the corner of the front cover down by the p/s pump, this area will sometimes leak. If this is it get ready for one heck of a job
Old 04-22-2003, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The guys are right. It could be a case of the KDP (sure hope not) or a cracked gear housing down by the ps pump, or the vacumn pump seal and gasket. Make sure the braided line running to the vacumn pump and to the engine block is attached. If worse comes to worse. Cummins sells a dye that you put in your oil after you wash the engine and use a black light to spot the leak.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:02 PM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

It sounds to me as though it is coming not from the timing cover, but the cover for the pushrod gallery (there is a sheetmetal cover on the drivers side of the engine underneath a plastic covered foam sound panel that covers the gallery for the pushrods -- one of the screws that holds it on my have come loose) . . . One of those great cases of a $5 part costing $$$ in labor.<br><br>Good luck <br><br>
Old 04-22-2003, 05:14 PM

No didn't hear a nasty noise. I went about 100-150 miles today. It's been leakin lately but not as bad as today. I think I found the leak. It looks to be leaking between the vaccum pump? and the power steering pump. I don't see anything cracked or any bolts loose. If it is the seals from the pumps where can i get them? i've seen a post about this a while ago and it said you can get a seal kit from napa, but i just stopped at napa and they told me they don't carry any seal kit. Yet again, napa has nothing for these dodge trucks. &gt; &gt; &gt;
Old 04-22-2003, 05:44 PM
Administrator

<br><br>seal part# 28x38x7av - specify Viton.<br><br>http://www.intsealpack.com<br><br>800-651-2551<br><br><br>Or you can Email this guy, he sells the special o-ring and oil seal for the pump. &quot;John Strenkowski&quot; &lt;jvssyn@rcn.com&gt; <br><br><br>
Old 04-22-2003, 05:49 PM

hopefully that is it thats the only place i c oil seeping out of! i have wiped everything off before i drove home and thats the only place i saw oil! drove home and everything was covered again wiped everything off and came back about 10 mins later seeping from that same spot! thanks for all the help guys!!
Old 04-22-2003, 06:04 PM
Administrator

FWIW powerwagon,<br><br>I had the exact same problem. Oil seeping between the 2 bolt flange where the ps pump and vac pump meet. The oil was blowing back onto the pan and on the bell housing. I just took a sheet of gasket maker and cut a gasket for the 2 bolt flange. Stopped the leaking real good. I know I still have a problem and will get to it as soon as I can. It has held for 5-6 months so far.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:33 PM

i just want everything to hold off a little while cause im still looking for parts for my build i want to do!! i need a radiator support for a 93 ctd intercoled just like my 93 truck i dont want to use that one cause me and my dad fabracated that one since i couldnt fine one when i was rebuilding that truck after it was wrecked!!! i want to put the engine and trans from my 93 into my 81 dodge 1 ton 4x4 4 door short bed!! when i pull the motor im going to tear everything off and paint and replace whats bad! &quot;if i can find it&quot; and i dont want to drive my 99 cause im working on getting it all bombed out!! so i was just trying to get some more miles out of her till i find parts!!
Old 04-29-2003, 08:53 PM

ok i ordered the seal i need between vaccum pump and powersteering pump! so when i take them apart to put the new seal in is all the engine oil going to pour our? if so ill just change the oil! thanks