1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

OFFICIAL 1st Gen "Oh Crap!" thread . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 06:53 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Exclamation OFFICIAL 1st Gen "Oh Crap!" thread . . . .

Hey folks . . . .

Ya ever have one of those days where absolutely nothing goes right?

Convert your Cummins to high-dollar synthetic oil . . . . fill that boy up just to step back and see the last of it pour on the ground? >Homer Simpson voice< "DOH! Stupid drain plug!"

Things like that?

Well here's the thread to tell us about it.

Please note this is NOT a thread to look fix info. Just to blow steam, spread the humor of your latest "DuhHuh!", and amaze your friends and neighbors with tales of your acts of brilliance.

Keep it clean, grandkids sitting in laps.

I'll go first ~

So I order this Fluidampr for my heap. OK fine. The shipping tracking shows it in-route . . . . . gets stuck in the UPS warehouse about 75 miles up the road . . . . for the holidays. DOH!

So I get it in my hands. Big! Heavy! We'll see . . ..

Keep in mind I researched the install very well using the install .pdf files on their website well beforehand. Pretty-much straight forward.
So seeing it'll show up today (Monday), I took the front off the engine Sunday evening to fix a few things while I'm in there. Verify the coat-hangared KDP is still secure, replace the front crankshaft oil seal I botched while originally doing the KDP (I've got the FSM and now know that sleeve of plastic that came with the seal is NOT packing material!). That kinda mess.

OK, so I'm putting it all back together and . . .. . Hummmm, that crankshaft sensor's not gonna fit. Huh!?

The website installation instructions clearly state ~

Dodge Cummins 5.9 (1992 to early 1998). BEFORE INSTALLING THE FLUIDAMPR, loosen the magnetic pick up and move it outward to clear the larger Fluidampr. Install the Fluidampr, torque the bolts to the proper torque, and readjust the magnetic pick up to the previously measured gap or to the manufacturers spec.
Well? . . . .

Digging for the answer to this I grab the installation instructions from the box and sit down with some iced tea. Congrats on your latest purchase, . . . blah blah . . . a printed version of the same install mess . . . . blah blah . . . . .

Whats' this!? A supplemental sheet? . . . . .

Dodge Cummins 5.9L (1992 to early 1998- 12V). BEFORE INSTALLING THE FLUIDAMPR, You must install the sensor relocation bracket kit p/n 300003 for the sensor and wire extension.

CRAP!

I check the website install mess . . . it's dated 05/06. The supplemental sheet is dated 06/06.

Sauce for the goose anyone?

Said part number isn't listed in Summit or Fluidampr websites. A call to Summit customer service shows it's not in their computer. It's after Fluidampr's closing time. Summit will call me tomorrow once they find out anything.

Poot!

I guess I'll pull that radiator out and see about getting the two leaks just discovered repaired tomorrow.

So, . . . . . . anybody care to top that?
Old 11-27-2006, 07:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BC847

So, . . . . . . anybody care to top that?
I bought my truck 'knowing' that the tranny was on its way out. The PO was sure of it, and was throwing in a core tranny and rebuild kit with the truck. Fast forward a month or so, the pump is now maxed and everything is set as aggressive as can be (thanks to you guys ) Anyway, as I round a corner, I start to hear 'bang...bang...bang' It changes with road speed, so I figure output bearing on the tranny. It gets a lot worse before I get home. Pull the t-case (break the silly, plastic, impossible as all heck to find, speedo adapter) and trans...all in a snowy driveway in late January....Tear the tranny down, don't really know what I'm looing at. Chase parts for days. Re-assemble and re-install. Truck has been down for 5 weeks. Have owned for two months. Back out of the garage, pull out of the drive and what do I hear? Say it with me: 'Bang...Bang...Bang' Same gosh dang thing--oh, I was Had a moment of clarity and dropped the diff cover.....all but 3 pinion teeth fell on the ground, along with the leftovers of the tone ring Sooo, the short of it is that I learned how to build a Getrag and a D70 on the fly, that they are both very heavy, and that the expense of drivetrain parts is directly proportional to their weight and that if I hadn't been so DARN SURE it was the tranny, I might have only had to drop half the coin I did in that 8 week stretch...

Now, beat THAT stroke of genius!

ionlyopendmymouthtochangefeetg1625sout
Old 11-27-2006, 07:17 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I don't know if I can top it, but the last time I changed the oil I forgot to check to see if the gasket was till on the filter. Of course the one time I don't check, it's stuck to the mount. Only pumped 2 qts out onto the street.

Before my most recent trip I was checking tire pressure and I dropped one of the front valve caps between the wheel and the simulator. My front simulators are bolt on - so I had to jack the truck up and pull all the lug nuts when I should have been packing for the trip.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:29 PM

(the following should be read in the voice of 'Lumberg', the boss from the movie 'office space')

Yeah, ahh, Dave...yeah, I'm gonna have to say that you're just a little bit too organized and thorough to participate in this thread, so, umm, yeah, I'm gonna have to ask you to just go ahead and remain and observer for this one, ok? Thanks!

Oh yeah, and I'm gonna have to go ahead and ask you to come on in on Sunday, too--gotta play some catch-up!
Old 11-27-2006, 07:54 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Organized and thorough? That's just my online persona. If you could see the piles of crap on my desk and workbench you'd know better.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amatures !!! I was out shredding a field, it was a bit tacky in one spot so I engaged the posi on the tractor, however it did not release so as I made first turn it didnt turn and I ran off in a rather large ditch and said tractor died and wouldnt restart.
So as many of us I walked a mile to retrieve the truck and jumper cables. I proceeded to drive to the tractor(remember tacky)as I drove up it got soft so I nailed it, got thru the bud I was guite pleased with myself.

How ever being in a field with waist tall grass I failed to notice the second ditch(I did find it). So I drove into a 5 foot deep ditch, now im stuck and tractor wont start to pull truck out and I cant get to tractor to jump it.

So being an okie I remove the battery and toted it a 1/4 mile to tractor, install and fire tractor up, drive back to the truck reinstall the battery on the truck. Oh gee cool someones borrowed my chain, i then used a 40 dollar lariat doubled to pull the truck out(doubled it after it broke first time).

Trucks out of the ditch I'm happy even with my rope gone, went to crank it and click, that terrible sound, got out and looked i put wrong battery in, tractor uses same battery. So i change the battery out and junp in hit starter and vroom, ole girls running but sounds a bit odd, most do when you drag entire exhaust out and its folded up under the truck.

After 2 hours with a worn out hacksaw the exhaust is out and I can drive, shut tractor down and head for the house. Pretty red and blue lights behind me, hum gee they arent real fond of trucks without an exhaust. After recieving my $127.00 ticket I decide I really need to be home hit starter,
(you guessed it nothing). Forgetting to tie the battery down it turned over on way out of the field and was dead. Called my sis and she came got me, as I loaded truck on trailor i hung the down pipe and broke turbo.

So got home repaired every thing next day, the field payed me $250.00 and I spent $600.00 fixing it.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:33 PM

Keep typing, Loch--I'm starting to feel better about myself!This is gonna be a good thread--now who's next to leave their pride at the door?
Old 11-27-2006, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have not logged on here in a month because I moved and had no net connection but here is my story.......

I went to the sportsman's warehouse to get some ammo and a pair of sunglasses and decided to check the oil in the old beast it was still clean after 1500 miles and right on the fill mark which I think is strange with the amount of work I have done with it latlely but to make a long story longer and more boring I slammed the hood lid down and heard a loud crunch as my brand new sun glasses where pierced by the hood latch.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:30 PM

Last yr getting ready for the Diesel Nationals... 2 jobs to get done.. install the EEP Dual disk.. and get the pump rebuilt.. and installed.. Had the pump rebuilt... It went in without too much trouble.... Clutch... felt a little tight... It might be OK... starts.. but you can't put it in gear.. We'll just start it in gear (with the pedal down.....) That about cleared out the shop.... Try a few different rods on the slave.. pull the tranny and modify the fork pivot, checked the disks and floater... install tranny.. same thing..... Dropped the trailer.. and went to Houston without the truck...
A few weeks later.. we pull the tranny again... we were told we put the disks in backwards... checked the disks again.. check the warpage of the floater.. Everything looks good... Told again it was an installation problem.... Pull the flywheel again.. and laid it all out, and assembled it again on the floor.. Somethings not right about the disks... hmmm.. (told they are the correct ones... ) But they are too thick... (Oh.. you have an EEP Clutch.. ) Yea.. the one in the EEP box.. (I guess we put in the wrong hubs.. just ship them back to us.. and we'll put in the correct ones.... Or you can machine them down....--- The company that rebuilt the clutch disks.) So 5mins in the mill.... Put the clutch.. trany/Tcase and all back in.. works like a champ..... Put a little diesel in the truck... (10:30pm) time for a test drive... Pull out on the main road.. once through the gears... Nice... slow down to 3rd gear.. up through the gears.. with a little more throttle... Sweet... One more time... third gear full throttle (pump in stock settings) ... half way throught 5th... Coasting to a stop.... Why did it die??? Crack all the injection lines.. turn on the key (electric fuel pump..) and fuel comes out all the injection lines... without turning the engine over.... Call the wife to come get us... at least we didn't make it one mile from the shop.... 11:30... truck gets pulled back in the shop.. So 6 months.. 2 miles... (1 mile running.. 1 mile being towed.) and $$$$ it still won't move....
The Tales of MoPower....
Old 11-27-2006, 09:51 PM

well i definately don't rank up there with losing money, but i can say i rank up there in making the job as hard as possible. i am always intimidated by a job i haven't done before, but i'd done plenty of disk brakes. so i tear down the 92 2wd put it all back together everything works great. a few months later i meet up with Dave in Penn. to do a little pump tweaking. during some chit chat i mention what a stupid brake design on these truck... why the heck would they make it so you have to remove the brake line to get the caliper off? all dave said was "you don't" and it hit me, lol. i'd been removing the entire caliper support bracket
Old 11-27-2006, 10:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Last Saturday I decided to change the fuel/water filter. Quick and easy job...right? Not that time... While taking out the old filter the hollow threaded tube that you turn the new filter onto came out with the old filter. As I pulled out the old filter I noticed the other bezel type piece dropped and was swinging by the wire harness. This piece that sits above the filter mounts to the side of the block. (I don’t know the name of that piece) I figured no biggy... I pulled out the double threaded tube piece that came out with the old filter and bolted the bezel/spacer piece back up to the block. What I didn’t realize was that I placed the spacer piece upside down. I prefilled the filter and tightened it in its usual position. While using the lift pump I noticed a big leak. Then I realized (after close inspection) that I must have placed the spacer piece upside down. But Now I was not able to loosen the double threaded tube to reset it... I spent over 1 hr and couldn’t loosen this up (even under the truck with a 3 foot long screw driver with no success) Every angle possibe and couldnt losen the sucker.... I was just about to take all the linkage apart when I decided it! I grabbed a pair of pliers with a rag in its teeth and cranked it loose (Small thread damage) Cleaned it up though. Then I thought awww I got it! All done now... but I wasn’t the large o right that fits on top of the spacer was stuck to the block area. I didn’t know this... after screwing, bleeding and unscrewing the fuel filter about a dozen times and loosing at least a gallon fuel and covered with it from being under the truck time after time I felt under and noticed the o-ring and that it was actually supposed to be placed in the spacer piece. I finally figured out what was wrong and bolted it all back together. This was at least a 3 hr fuel filter change. With pancakes inbetween.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:47 PM

Red face

you guys have just made my day,I feel kind of bad laughing at other peoples problems,but I can't help myself. My most recent oh crap thing just happened to day,I just about filled my 93s fuel tank with gas. I had the nozzle in and had started to pull the handle,when I noticed it was the wrong color.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:56 PM

We will start the most recet DOH!! I recieved my gauge set two weeks ago all excited I started the install. I didn't want to mess with taking off the turbo so I decided to do it with the motor running. No harm done, it'll blow the metal chips right out. Center punched where i was gonna drill, started the truck, began drilling. Man this thing is thick I thought, kept going, all the sudden the drill began to look a little sideways. So I stopped looked into the manifold and I'll be if I didn't drill right into the center divider so Ill just plug it and drill another hole I thought, not without threads. So long story short, the hole was now tapered, had to drill it out to get an adapter in and also had to take and use the diegrinder to make a hole the probe would fit in. One hour job quickly turned into Three.

Now for last summer, Just bought the truck in April, and the tranny went out. No big deal I've rebuilt auto trannies before. Tore it down, sent out the convertor and pump to be rebuilt, get them back along with the hard parts and ask him "Are these ready to drop in" he sayes yes. Start truck and am greated with no reverse. Air pressure test reveils that the pump had no seal rings, so much for the drop in and go thing. While its out I go through the valve body and somehow got two springs swapped that look very similar but if crossed yields you no first. That involved two valve body drops before it was fixxed. So it took me 8 weeks and 36 quarts of tranny fluid, but shes up and runnin

Two weeks later while my dad is using truck the injection pump dies SOOOO my new truck once again is in the shop for two weeks...down......me driving a Grand Am.... So to recap that bought the truck in April and actually got to drive ti for about 3 weeks over the summer before I had to go to school.

There are many more stories how many you wanna hear.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:12 PM

Mines not so drastic, but...

Thought I had to drop the tank in order to remove the sleeper bolts. Had the bed off. The pressure line was not releasing. Plastic clip all the way in and was tugging to get the bugger off. Snapped the plastic nipple off even with the top of the sensor unit -OUCH- Dropped the tank. Inspected the line and of course the stub that was locked into the line came out easy.

Looked locally in salvage yards for Cummins trucks and no luck. Paid dealer for entire new sending unit and fuel pickup because they didn't sell the top separately.

Side benefit. Old sender screen was wore out from rubbing on the bottom of the tank - thats what I tell myself anyway to justify the way too expensive experience.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:33 AM

Back in the day, I was driving "Ole Blue" ('92 D250-sold) headed over to a friends house like I've done so many times. I cross over the highway overpass and start to make a left turn to the access road when I hear a "THWACK" followed by rough running, stumbling, and no power whatsoever. I thought "what in the heck can that be?". So I pull over, pop the hood, and see the turbo inlet pipe had popped off the filter housing. So I put it back on, grab the throttle lever on the pump and it still runs horrible (hey I knew it would, I was just crossing my fingers for some unknown reason) Well after limping it to my friends house about 5 miles away(closer than my house) with near-piston-melting EGT's and a top speed of about 30mph I realized that my turbocharger swallowed debris when the inlet tube fell off the filter housing. At first glance at the hair-like remains stuck to the turbo impeller nut I thought I sucked a bird into the turbo, but I wasn't going so fast. When I reached for my trusty blue shop rag that I use to check fluids, it wasn't in its convenient location just below the air filter housing...."OH CRAP!!!"

Yeah...that was a fiasco...but I fixed her up good...and nicely upgraded during the repairs

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL 1st Gen "Oh Crap!" thread . . . .