1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

nv4500 swap crosmember question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 06:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
nv4500 swap crosmember question

I finished up my nv swap the other night and i am having a severe amount of gear nose and clutch noise. It's a dual disc and i expected the noise but it's quite unbearable. my brother had to yell at me while we were driving loud. It growls in neutral with clutch in or out and in every gear until it hits about 1600rpm And like the flip of a switch it goes away. I didn't take a reference point from the bottom of my frame with a straight edge to the center of the output shaft on the getrag before i removed it and think it might be in a bind on the input shaft. If anyone has a 2wd getrag and has that measurement it would really help me out. Thank yall
Old 04-14-2015, 06:51 AM

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts
If your adapter plate & bell housing are assembled correctly and not damaged, there can't be any "bind on the imput shaft".

Obviously I can't hear the noise you are hearing, but I would bet that you have some sort of contact between the engine, transmission, exhaust, cab, or frame that is rubbing & rattling at lower engine speed.

For example: I had a noise once that sounded like the clutch had grenaded, and then stopped magically at about the same engine speed you describe: it was a loose baffle in the muffler.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:29 AM

Received 601 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Vader93
I finished up my nv swap the other night and i am having a severe amount of gear nose and clutch noise. It's a dual disc and i expected the noise but it's quite unbearable. my brother had to yell at me while we were driving loud. It growls in neutral with clutch in or out and in every gear until it hits about 1600rpm And like the flip of a switch it goes away. I didn't take a reference point from the bottom of my frame with a straight edge to the center of the output shaft on the getrag before i removed it and think it might be in a bind on the input shaft. If anyone has a 2wd getrag and has that measurement it would really help me out. Thank yall
If the transmission is in contact with any metal It will amplify Gear noise( especially sheet metal. I once had a truck with a solid mounted transfer case that was in good condition that sounded like it was going to explode any minute.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:27 AM

I have thoroughly checked everywhere and there is nothing making any contact with body or frame. I see what you mean about the input shaft not being able to be in a bind. Everything is in good shape and butted up nicely as in trans to bellhousing and bell housing to adapter plate. What i can't wrap my mind around is why it's so much harder to start now. I talked to south bend and they think there is too much play in the intermediate plate. Where the tabs go into the flywheel. Any thoughts
Old 04-14-2015, 04:09 PM

so I guess my question is this, you two will drive guys that have swapped to an NV 4500 what cross member are you using. my truck was a 518 and I swapped to a Getrag and they both use the same crossmember but I had to slightly modify that cross member to accept the nv transmission mount.