1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Not sure what I am doing wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 03:20 PM

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Not sure what I am doing wrong?

Just ordered and installed the M&H Timing spacer and M3 fuel pin. Can not feel or see one bit of difference in low end or high. My timing was bumped about 1/8 so I set it back to where I think is stock and it ran bad, less power and less boost. Set it back where it was and it is the same as it was before I spent the money on it. I also have a slight surge between about 18 and 22 lbs boost now. I changed the fuel filter, played with the star wheel and no change. The max boost is a little less, 26 now instead of 30. I still have smoke at wide open throttle and a little at take off. I hoped to lose the smoke because it smoke a lot on hills with my 5th wheel. Don't know what to try next. I expected to feel or see an improvment in power and hopefully smke level but not happening.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:35 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Have you checked if your pump timing has been bumped a tooth?
Old 02-14-2012, 05:37 PM

No it hasn't, I installed it myself a few years ago.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:01 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
What's your supply fuel pressure at?
Old 02-14-2012, 08:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried from my wifes computer earlier. Didn't submit.

There is no mention of an upgraded lift pump. That is need so at higher rpms, you can take advantage of that extra timing.

Posted via Velocity LG ALLY
Old 02-15-2012, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle shaft indexed correctly???
Old 02-15-2012, 07:29 PM

id back out the fuel screw if your having smoke issues or buy a supporting turbo.

push the pump to the head and see if it cleans up a bit first and if not look at above
Old 02-16-2012, 09:04 AM

No I have not upgraded the lift pump. It is a new stock pump. What do you suggest? I am running short on time as my house is sold and I close on the 15th of March and I will be on the road full time.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:45 AM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
From what I have found and read here, lower boost is common with a timing advance. The timing spacer won't make a difference in bottom-end power but more in top-end power as it works with the variable timing which increases with case pressure/engine RPM.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:47 PM

yeah I think I found the problem. My timing was advanced too far. This morning it rattled like it was coming apart when the KSB was on. I retimed it back to where I believe to be stock and now it is running good, my boost is back at 30 and the engine runs way quieter. I am going to run it a little this way and see but I believe it will work. i have a haze now at wide open throttle but not a cloud of dark black but with my injectors I expect a haze anyway.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:56 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by rlyons
yeah I think I found the problem. My timing was advanced too far. This morning it rattled like it was coming apart when the KSB was on. I retimed it back to where I believe to be stock and now it is running good, my boost is back at 30 and the engine runs way quieter. I am going to run it a little this way and see but I believe it will work. i have a haze now at wide open throttle but not a cloud of dark black but with my injectors I expect a haze anyway.
That's definitely normal. Almost sounds like a F*rd . Mine does the same thing but feels strong if I step on the throttle a bit. When the KSB shuts off and retards timing while cruising, I feel an increase in power. Enough that I have to lift my foot on the skinny pedal a bit .

Did you line up the hash marks on the timing case and the pump? That is factory timing.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:44 PM

what about your High Idle screw and throttle linkage. I didnt notice a thing until I fixed so that i got full travel at the throttle lever
Old 02-16-2012, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by jimbo486
That's definitely normal. Almost sounds like a F*rd . Mine does the same thing but feels strong if I step on the throttle a bit. When the KSB shuts off and retards timing while cruising, I feel an increase in power. Enough that I have to lift my foot on the skinny pedal a bit .

Did you line up the hash marks on the timing case and the pump? That is factory timing.
My pump has no marks so I had to try and guess but it sounds about right.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by dB Zac
what about your High Idle screw and throttle linkage. I didnt notice a thing until I fixed so that i got full travel at the throttle lever
I did adjust it up a little last night as it wasn't getting full travel.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:46 PM

Did you verify your cable could pull it all the way to the stop

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: Not sure what I am doing wrong?