1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Normal shop service

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 07:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Normal shop service

Howdy all,
Service shop question for ya: decided to do a preemptive strike on the slight beginning noise I'd been hearing from the tranny and I dropped off my truck to a local shop 8 days ago. I've not heard from the shop at all (they were more then happy to have me bring it by asap), and I've noticed they pulled it out in the back 40 of their lot and haven't touched it yet. What would you expect to be normal customer service? I don't think my expectations are too high in that at LEAST call me and let me know what's going on: waiting on parts, short staffed, or some other issue. I'm considering picking it up before they get their fingers on him because their mech. skills may match their customer service skills. Their "reviews" are all full of praise and accolades, so I was expecting a mechanics mechanic and am getting concerned. Thoughts anyone?

D
Old 05-05-2014, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pick the truck up and go elsewhere. Unless they indicated it would be a week plus before they looked at it that not customer service, it is customer neglect and not a good sign for what you can expect from them.
Del
Old 05-05-2014, 08:01 PM

So...I'm not off the mark: 8 days is too long to wait for tranny work on these rigs? What's been the normal time others have waited. I have to admit I was willing to give them 2wks or so because I wanted it done right, but to completely ignore it?! Normally, I'm not one to bash online, but I'm seriously considering flaming their "reviews" in a big way
Old 05-05-2014, 08:03 PM

I'd go get it. Based on your info the odds are when they do call you they will tell you they want to pull it (or already have) to diagnose to the tune of several hundred $$. They should have been able to test drive it and do some preliminary diagnostics that day. Even if they are slammed, 8 days for an initial call back is ridiculous.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:17 PM

I dropped my truck off, then seven days later, picked it up with a completely rebuilt trans.
I say go get it and save yourself some headaches.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:47 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
I agree...no communication is a big no no!! I would go get my truck out of there. Hope they haven't yarded the tranny out already.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:19 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
My son put his into NATCO about 4 pm on a Tuesday. Picked it up Friday morning. They pulled it down and rebuilt it right. Lotsa new and improved parts, Goerend converter, Transgo shift kit, new OD gears, etc.

They called with the complete story on what they wanted to do before 11 am Wednesday.

A week with no movement is ridiculous.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Nughuffer
I'd go get it. Based on your info the odds are when they do call you they will tell you they want to pull it (or already have) to diagnose to the tune of several hundred $$. They should have been able to test drive it and do some preliminary diagnostics that day. Even if they are slammed, 8 days for an initial call back is ridiculous.
This, I would have pulled it at the 2 day mark and no call.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
This is exactly why I do all the work on all my vehicles. If something goes wrong I know who to be mad at and exactly where to find him...Mark
Old 05-06-2014, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by maybe368
This is exactly why I do all the work on all my vehicles. If something goes wrong I know who to be mad at and exactly where to find him...Mark
Yep. Me too. Except dropping the tranny on my 91 laying on my back was no fun. Cannot justify a lift and tranny jack in my normal size garage On a positive note the shop called and they have dropped the tranny (funny since I went by at 7 pm last nite and it was still out back), and will have info later today. I guess I'm at their mercy now
Old 05-06-2014, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm with the others. It should not take a week for a diagnosis. I had a tranny shop pull and rebuild a GM tranny same day. Dropped off in the morning, driving it home that afternoon.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It makes a big difference if its dropped off and get to it when you can or make a appointment to get it done and always ask what gets done and a time frame and a call if problems arise. I have work in shops and there are many times suppliers will say one thing the when the time comes for parts they are not available it frustrates the hell out of me then you are running around trying to fined stuff even after they tell you its shipped!!!
Old 05-06-2014, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Received 565 Likes on 414 Posts
Originally Posted by diesel402004
Yep. Me too. Except dropping the tranny on my 91 laying on my back was no fun. Cannot justify a lift and tranny jack in my normal size garage On a positive note the shop called and they have dropped the tranny (funny since I went by at 7 pm last nite and it was still out back), and will have info later today. I guess I'm at their mercy now
I already had a motorcycle jack when I bought the Dodge and it works perfectly on the trans an TC. I was trying to remember how many times in my life I have taken a vehicle for somebody else to work on it and, besides tires and alignment, I can't remember more than 4 or 5 times. Those 2 years of vocational type auto mechanics I took in high school have really paid off (I graduated in '73). It has saved me hundreds of thousands of dollars. I learned 2 things there: How to be a good mechanic and that I didn't want to do that as my living ...Mark
Old 05-06-2014, 11:20 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Tranny swap should take 1-2 days with the parts onsite. Communication is key!
Old 05-06-2014, 07:39 PM

Update: Owner called with report and, just as I expected, OD bearings were shot and took out OD pump and associated parts. Didn't take out the case though, so that's good news. Complete rebuild/flush with updated parts for improved flow etc. Should be done by Fri., so it appears that actual work time should be normal. He sounded like he knew these units well, so inspired some confidence in the work to be done. Did apologize for lack of action/communication (missing techs, sickness, etc.) I mentioned all the things I learned about these trannys over the years, and he knew them all and we agreed as to what upgrades were prudent for my type of use: don't really need stage I, II etc. since I don't pull like I used to on my other rig. Hopefully, I won't need this work again and can keep saving $$ by doing all the other work (what other work these trucks are perfect) myself.

D

Quick Reply: Normal shop service