1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Non-intercooled Intake Horn Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 08:08 AM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Non-intercooled Intake Horn Question

I know, this is about as dumb as it gets.

Before I installed my engine, several months ago, I removed the intake horn (the thing that goes over the top of the engine that says DODGE RAM CUMMINS TURBO-CHARGED DIESEL), in order to drill and tap for a boost-gauge fitting.

Try as I might, I couldn't get the tube to seperate from the grid-heater section.

They sure look like two seperate pieces to me; but, they sure are growed together.

I finally gave up and left them together, being sure to blow any drillings out the other end.

Yesterday, I had reason to have the horn off again.

Like before, the heater section is still permanently attached to it, almost as if it were not meant to be seperated.

They are two seperate pieces, aren't they??

Has anyone else had trouble seperating them??

I was afraid to get too rough, as it looked like it would be easy to crack one or the other.

Thanks.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BearKiller

I know, this is about as dumb as it gets.

Before I installed my engine, several months ago, I removed the intake horn (the thing that goes over the top of the engine that says DODGE RAM CUMMINS TURBO-CHARGED DIESEL), in order to drill and tap for a boost-gauge fitting.

Try as I might, I couldn't get the tube to seperate from the grid-heater section.

They sure look like two seperate pieces to me; but, they sure are growed together.

I finally gave up and left them together, being sure to blow any drillings out the other end.

Yesterday, I had reason to have the horn off again.

Like before, the heater section is still permanently attached to it, almost as if it were not meant to be seperated.

They are two seperate pieces, aren't they??

Has anyone else had trouble seperating them??

I was afraid to get too rough, as it looked like it would be easy to crack one or the other.

Thanks.
I have as yet, to remove that air horn but i an allmost positive that, it will seperate!
Old 09-22-2006, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vise, rubber mallet. If you don't plan to use the grid heater, remove the 4 bolts/nuts and heater element, then run a 1/8"npt tap into the four exposed holes, already the correct size, plug the unused ports with pipe plugs. Replace the two grid heater gaskets with Cummins part number 3969988 x2. These are heat resistant type and are the same price as the normal grid heater gaskets from Cummins.