1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

No start with key

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 10:29 PM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
No start with key

I'm going to start with a little back ground info. The 92 i just got is a wiring nightmare, alternator wont charge, lights dont work, numerous misc wires under dash, fuse panel hanging from wire harness, grid heaters dont work.. The list goes on. Up until today it would start and run just fine. I replaced crank sensor as wire had caught the belt. Hoping that it would fix my charging issue, which it did not. So I moved on to the head light switch. Thats where my starting problem began. Installed new light switch, lights work, no start with key put old switch back in no start. So I find new ignition switch in pile of parts install new ignition switch no start. Try new starter relay, no start. All lights come on in messege center when key is in on postion just not putting any power to starter. I dont see any ignition fuses or relays in fuse panel. Is there one some where else? I can put power to starter wire under hood and it cranks and fires up and runs. So I know I'm over looking something just not sure what it is.
Any and all help is appreciated, Thank you.

Also I found what looks like a relay of some sort to me up under dash taped to wire harness when I changed light switch. I have no idea what it is, and see no numbers on it. I didnt notice if it was warm or not before new switch but after new light switch it gets warm to the touch.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:48 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Clutch cancel start?
Old 03-09-2013, 10:54 PM

Possible, I have never had to use clutch to start it before. It may have been bypassed and i pushed the wires aside changing switch. Ill check in the morning. Thanks
Old 03-10-2013, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That looks like the relay/timer for the light around the ignition. Getting wark is normal.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Onemoparnut
That looks like the relay/timer for the light around the ignition. Getting wark is normal.
Thanks, I'll put it back in and not worry bout it then.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:47 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Yes that silver cylinder is the Halo Light Timer and it will get hot enough to burn you if you leave the drivers door open for any length of time.

People will disable the clutch interlock by either grounding the switch or wire it depressed so it will start without it pushing the clutch, check this switch, if you have an automatic there is a neutral interlock/ backup light switch to check.

If you had your hands under the dash you might have just pulled a wire to the clutch while moving the mess.

Also most alarms have a starter interrupt relay and cut the start wire in the bundle under the column.

I would personally repair the clutch interlock, our Cummins engines will start on the first revolution and could prove fatal if started in gear unintentionally.

Jim
Old 03-10-2013, 09:22 AM

Thanks Jim, I'm just fixen to head out and work on it again. I do appreciate the responses. Ill look in to that clutch deal, as I know I had my hands close to it. I won't be plugging the halo relay back in until I get it figured out dont need to be burning my hands. Thanks again. Ill update with any results or questions I come up with.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:39 AM

The po had bypassed the clutch switch, must have pulled the wire off it. As soon as I plugged it back in and stepped on the clutch it cranked right over. Thanks again for the responses. Now to find the fuel leak I just notice on the back of the injection pump... Oh the joys of an old farm truck.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:14 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
I know most guys here fear the cancel start being bypassed but I suggest it. The pressure of the clutch being depressed with no oil pressure on the thrust bearing makes me sick to my stomach. My parking break works. I don't ever leave my truck in gear. Plus a pull cable will makes sure its not going to start if bumped, if by some chance my truck is in gear and gets hit.

Happy it was a quick simple fix for you, the pump is easy to reseal, lots of great write ups on here and great guys to help out.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:21 AM

I'm the same way, I never leave it in gear always use the park brake. And am used to older trucks that didnt have the clutch cancel. I never thought about that as an option as I could just start it from the day I got it. Didn't relize it had one.

I've seen those write ups. Got a lot of good info of of some of the others. I am greatly appreciative of this site and the guys that have put for the time to make it a great site.