1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no start

I have a 1989 W250 cummins. Truck will sometimes crank but wont start. I can get it started by lightly tapping on the injector pump on what i think is called the KSB seleniod valve. No one can get me this part. The dealer says it's not available. I'm afraid it will leave me stranded one day. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-07-2013, 11:06 AM

sounds more like a loose connection on the fuel shut off solonoid
Old 03-07-2013, 11:19 AM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
ksb valve controls fuel during cold weather. If it's shut off your truck will allow the normal fuel flow. When it's cold it allows more fuel into the engine to help smooth it out until everything is toasty.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:36 PM

This is on the side of the injector pump. The plastic that the wire is attached to is loose in the brass fitting. I put a new wire end on it thinking it was a loose connection but it didn't help. I know what the ksb is supposed to do that's what's frustrating. When it doesn't start I can wiggle or tap on it and it fires up fine. The dealer says today that I might have to replace the injector pump in order to cure it. Not something I really want to do due to the cost. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by russc
The dealer says today that I might have to replace the injector pump in order to cure it. Not something I really want to do due to the cost. Thanks for the input.
Do what you like, but I would stay away from this dealer....... Have you physically verified that your fuel solenoid has a good connection?

If so, I would spend the 20 bucks or so to get a VW fuel solenoid and replace it as a preventative measure.

Worst case scenario would be to gut the solenoid and put a manual shutoff cable to the fuel kill lever.

There is precious little on these early trucks that will actually leave you stranded by the side of the road.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:36 PM

Sorry I forgot to say that I did replace the fuel shut off seleniod that's on top. I was also thinking of bypassing this if i could.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:06 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The KSB itself should not create a no start problem unless it was totally dead and it was very cold out.. and I honestly cant see it doing that if everythign else was working.

It sounds like you have a loose connection at the FSS more than anything, these two are connected through the wiring harness and you could be wiggling the FSS connector when you tap on the KSB.
I'd start by replacing both the spade connectors at the FSS and the KSB with ring connectors to ensure you have good connection.
You can by pass the FSS by going to a pull-wire shut off, theres a few threads out there about how to do that
Old 03-07-2013, 07:13 PM

I doubt it is your KSB. Mine has been disconnected for at least 5 years now. If your truck cranks, about the only thing that will prevent it starting is no fuel. Make sure you are getting power to the shutoff solenoid while cranking.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:33 PM

Smile

THANKS to all. After reading the post from Chrisryen I went back and took a second look. Sometimes you go for the hard and overlook the easy. I replaced the spade connector with a ring connector and that solved my problem. Turns out as I was tapping and wiggling on the KSB I was in reality wiggling the fuel shut off switch. DUH!!. Again THANKS to everyone. Just needed to bounce off somebody else to get on the right path.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:17 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Like Patdaly said, stay away from that dealer. He sounds expensive, and dishonest. This is a common problem, and the fix in a dealership shouldn't be more than about a half hour on the clock and 5 bucks parts.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:14 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
Like Patdaly said, stay away from that dealer. He sounds expensive, and dishonest. This is a common problem, and the fix in a dealership shouldn't be more than about a half hour on the clock and 5 bucks parts.
I wouldn't go that far, even my buddy who used to own a dealership, and was personally a CTD enthusiast, had a service department that couldn't tell the FSS from the fuel filter on our trucks. It was not that they weren't intelligent, or honest, because they proved they were day in and day out on gassers.

Seeing one diesel every few years simply doesn't afford them the ability to get good.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by patdaly
I wouldn't go that far, even my buddy who used to own a dealership, and was personally a CTD enthusiast, had a service department that couldn't tell the FSS from the fuel filter on our trucks. It was not that they weren't intelligent, or honest, because they proved they were day in and day out on gassers.

Seeing one diesel every few years simply doesn't afford them the ability to get good.
I agree, my dealer says they haven't had anything under a 95 in for years. I don't fault them at all. Just glad I didn't order a new injector pump.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:02 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Even if they haven't seen one in awhile, they still have the FSM maintenance procedures to fall back on, which would go to checking the FSS a long time before it gets to replace IP.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by j_martin
That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Even if they haven't seen one in awhile, they still have the FSM maintenance procedures to fall back on, which would go to checking the FSS a long time before it gets to replace IP.
good point
Old 03-09-2013, 10:32 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by russc
Sometimes you go for the hard and overlook the easy.
I have the best luck figuring out problems with my truck by adhering to the "K.I.S.S." principle...

Keep It Simple, Stupid!!!

Quick Reply: no start