1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

No solution (long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 07:48 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB
So is it a factor in this equation or not? Does it affect the 3-4/4-3 shifts or his cruise control?
Of course. It is the vehicle speed information to the brain, er PCM

The point is that the signal represents actual vehicle speed.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:28 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I saw a 1st gen years ago that acted the same after someone had rebuilt the transmission and turned up the line pressure. Has your line pressure been modified?
Old 06-18-2013, 11:53 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
So your saying that the od works fine when manually activated with a switch, kinda rules out the hydraulics ans solenoid. Have you done any voltage drop testing on the ground side of the ecm/vehicle wiring? Maybe a poor ground ...they can cause odd mayhem, BTDT many times.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:26 PM

Received 454 Likes on 344 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB
By run away you mean it just keeps increasing in speed?
Yes, speed slowly keeps increasing.
Originally Posted by j_martin
What's the difference between a first gen and second gen TPS? They look the same.

Adjustment should be 1.0V at idle, and 3.5V +-0.25V at WOT. If it's higher, you'd have the symptoms you describe.
It's not, it's lower.

Originally Posted by patdaly
Just for giggles, could you try a resistor in the OD engage wire?
Something isn't right with the resistance values in there.
Tried it, made it worse. Put it in the 5V line and it helped a little but not enough.

Would still theoretically work, maybe swapping power and ground wires.
Back to topic. If TPS is set at 1.0 at idle, what does it read at WOT?
4 volts. I have the full throttle travel adjustment. Wasn't working right before that so it didn't cause it.

Originally Posted by KRB
So is it a factor in this equation or not? Does it affect the 3-4/4-3 shifts or his cruise control?
Both

Originally Posted by torquefan
I saw a 1st gen years ago that acted the same after someone had rebuilt the transmission and turned up the line pressure. Has your line pressure been modified?
It was doing this before the transmission rebuild.

Originally Posted by ChrisLib
So your saying that the od works fine when manually activated with a switch, kinda rules out the hydraulics and solenoid. Have you done any voltage drop testing on the ground side of the ecm/vehicle wiring? Maybe a poor ground ...they can cause odd mayhem, BTDT many times.
I've been through everything more than once trying to find this little I've replaced wires, bypassed connectors, and added grounds. Every ground has been pulled, cleaned, and checked. If it were a resistance problem, you'd think I would have to turn up the TPS voltage, not down. All my resistance checks went from the ecm connector to the end of what ever circuit I was checking, fixing as I went.
The VSS does not produce any electricity. It is a switch that produces 8 on/off pulses per revolution. So both ecm and speedo are using the same signal.
There are 3 switch signals supplied to the ecm for OD operation: coolant temperature switch, transmission temperature switch, and the park/neutral switch.
I am starting to gather parts for plan "B", as in bypass.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:10 AM
KRB

Received 527 Likes on 366 Posts
Thats about as frustrating and aggrivating as it gets - to have checked and re-checked everything multiple times and still not find the culprit.

I'm at a loss because you're way ahead of me on all this. The only weak link I can see is that you checked all wires and bypassed the questionable ones. Could there still be a bad wire out there?

This is all compounded by the fact that you have to get out and test drive for a while at cruising speeds which adds a lot of time beween troubleshoots.

Wish I could be of more help.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:11 AM

What's the difference between a first gen and second gen TPS? They look the same.

Adjustment should be 1.0V at idle, and 3.5V +-0.25V at WOT. If it's higher, you'd have the symptoms you describe.
Originally Posted by cougar
It's not, it's lower.
Back to topic. If TPS is set at 1.0 at idle, what does it read at WOT?
4 volts. I have the full throttle travel adjustment. Wasn't working right before that so it didn't cause it.
HUH, I'm confused now.

If it is 4 volts, try putting a 270 ohm resistor in series with the 5V wire on the TPS. If that helps some, try 490 ohms.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Yes, speed slowly keeps increasing.
Dumb question, as I don't have a FSM for a 92, is the cruise like the newer Gen. 2 trucks, I.E. Adaptive ( learning )?

Greenie all of the sudden one day started running away, she would go about 7-10 MPH over set point. Drove me freaking nuts trying to figure it out.

Finally found that little tidbit in the FSM, and once I re-taught it, has been fine ever since.

Just a thought if the first gen uses the same style, I never did figure out what scrambled its original learning, and hasn't happened since.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:56 AM

HUH, I'm confused now.

If it is 4 volts, try putting a 270 ohm resistor in series with the 5V wire on the TPS. If that helps some, try 490 ohms.
On second thought, put the resistor in the ground leg of the TPS, and readjust to 1.0V at idle.

I got shanghaied by the DTR database error routine and lost my train of thought. The TPS range is out of spec. Bring it in with trimmer resistors compensating for your mods before you condemn it to the junk heap.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by patdaly
Dumb question, as I don't have a FSM for a 92, is the cruise like the newer Gen. 2 trucks, I.E. Adaptive ( learning )?

Greenie all of the sudden one day started running away, she would go about 7-10 MPH over set point. Drove me freaking nuts trying to figure it out.

Finally found that little tidbit in the FSM, and once I re-taught it, has been fine ever since.

Just a thought if the first gen uses the same style, I never did figure out what scrambled its original learning, and hasn't happened since.
First gen and a half , the PCM stores TPS last run low setting. You should disconnect the battery for a few minutes after a TPS adjustment.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:34 PM

On second thought, put the resistor in the ground leg of the TPS, and readjust to 1.0V at idle.

I got shanghaied by the DTR database error routine and lost my train of thought. The TPS range is out of spec. Bring it in with trimmer resistors compensating for your mods before you condemn it to the junk heap.
The mystery is why the TSP range is out of spec. Was that way when I bought the truck and started tinkering. I tried a 500 ohm 10 turn pot on the 5V side (in 1st post) with no significant results. I'll try it on the ground side. I am usually very good with electrical, but this has me baffled. My biggest ? is what is going on in the ecm.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:55 PM

The mystery is why the TSP range is out of spec. Was that way when I bought the truck and started tinkering. I tried a 500 ohm 10 turn pot on the 5V side (in 1st post) with no significant results. I'll try it on the ground side. I am usually very good with electrical, but this has me baffled. My biggest ? is what is going on in the ecm.
If the supply is at 5 volts, the pot is wrong, or the linkage is over driving it.

The reason I spec's the resistor in the ground lead is to compensate for either of those.

Don't forget to reset idle at 1.0V is you change the 10 turn pot.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think anybody mentioned it, is your TV cable adjusted properly.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:32 PM

If the supply is at 5 volts, the pot is wrong, or the linkage is over driving it.

The reason I spec's the resistor in the ground lead is to compensate for either of those.

Don't forget to reset idle at 1.0V is you change the 10 turn pot.
Not following you, the ecm supplies the power which is 5 volts from pins 4 (the return) and pin 6 (5V), the center (signal) of the TPS sends the varying voltage to pin 22.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:08 PM

Not following you, the ecm supplies the power which is 5 volts from pins 4 (the return) and pin 6 (5V), the center (signal) of the TPS sends the varying voltage to pin 22.
Either something is wrong with the tracking in the pot, or it is being swung too far by the linkage.

In either case, the resister in the ground lead starts it out near the low end, and mechanically it shouldn't reach the high end.

The pot is 2.5Kohm, so 1V would be at 500 ohm, and 4V would be at 2Kohm.

With a 300 ohm resistor in the ground lead, 1V would be at 260 ohms on the pot, and 3.5V would be at 1660 on the pot.

Should be pretty close, maybe need to adjust trimmer downward a bit, but start there.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:38 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I happen to stumble across this post from my phone and thought I may be able to help you with some diagrams. If these get you somewhere but you still need more info let me know and I'll see what I can dig up. Hope this helps!

Engine Controller

Cruise Control Switch

Engine Compartment

Fuse Block & Ignition Switch

Instrument Cluster

Multi-Function Switch

Quick Reply: No solution (long)