1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

no oil pressure.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no oil pressure.

hey, my motor has no oil pressure. it starts and runs, i replaced the lift pump and it runs pretty smooth, but it has no oil pressure and about every 20 seconds there is a loud wrap/tick that the motor makes. what could it be?
Thanks.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:16 PM

If you don't have oil pressure, don't run the engine! If you're not getting any pressure (even with a mechanical oil pressure gauge), I'd first check to make sure there is plenty of oil in it and then the first thing I would do would be to toss an oil pump on it.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:07 PM

Ok, i have not put a mechanical gauge on it, but i can hear it. what is the wrap/tick noise. dont worry im not running the engine anymore. what is involved in putting in an oil pump? can i do it with the motor in the truck?
Old 08-07-2007, 01:17 PM

I've never done an oil pump on a B series, but if I remember correctly you're going to have to pull the timing cover to get at it. I think it was driven off the crank gear on the left hand side of the engine if you're looking at it from the front. It can be done with the motor in. Look at this as a good time to tab your KDP.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:19 PM

Ok, how much does a pump go for? what is in the way of the timing cover? does anybody know what an oil pump goes for? i need to fix this asap. does anybody have a write up or know of a book that would show how to do the oil pump?
Old 08-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Use a mechanical gauge to check for pressure before you throw an oil pump at it.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:29 PM

I know there is no oil pressure. the truck is stumbling and running rough. what is involved in replacing the pump? is it a day job? what does a pump go for?
Old 08-07-2007, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like Dave said, check the oil pressure first! The sending units on these trucks are the pits if the original one is still in. Can read zero, can read partial, can read anywhere in between and can vary.

On top of the oil filter housing there is a plug. Take it out and screw in a gauge as a quick check. It would sure be nice for you if there is pressure at this location, that means the pump is ok. Just tkaes a few minutes.

Stumbling and running rough is probably injectors or fuel issue of some kind.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:05 PM

Ok, i just checked it and theres no pressure. whats next? i noticed a little bit of oil around the top of the oil filter, and i think i can twist the oil filter off by hand, but it is very hard for me to do, so it is still pretty tight. i would not think this would cause no oil pressure? Should i get a pump? is the pump located at the front of the motor? does anybody have a write up on how to do it?

What happened is i was going down the highway and my truck was reading three quarters of the way maxed out on my oil pressure gauge. after like an hour and a half of driving my oil light came on and i lost all oil pressure, and i completely smoked out the highway. it was night so i dont know what color the smoke was. now after i start the truck it misses and runs rough, then after like 30 seconds it makes a loud hissing or ticking type noise and it does it about once every 15-20 seconds.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:05 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Do you have a Fram filter from WalMart? If so take it off and get a good one. They have a bad rep for coming apart internally inside and plugging things up. Hopefully you haven't damaged anything yet.

Edwin
Old 08-07-2007, 05:54 PM

no, i have a napa/wix filter in it. im pretty sure i need an oil pump. is it located in the timing case? how do i put in the oil pump? does anybody have a write up? i need the truck back asap.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Yes, the oil pump is inside the timing case just below where the water pump is. It's just a few bolts once you have the timing cover off.

I think you have bigger problems than just the oil pump at this point based on your description of what happened.

Is there oil in the water/water in the oil? The poor running might be a blown head gasket if you are lucky.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:56 PM

no, the oil and antifreeze are fine. should i even bother with this motor, or get an 89 for 450?

i posted about the 89, but the swap seemed like a lot of work, taking off the injector pump and switching it, and switching the injector lines and all that. how hard is it?

what should i do?
Old 08-07-2007, 07:04 PM

The injector lines are not hard at all to swap, and the pump is a matter of a few bolts and checking your timing.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:11 PM

ok what is involved in swapping injector lines? I am using the turbo and everything off my old motor, so will i still need to swap the injector lines

Quick Reply: no oil pressure.