1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

No Cruise Control!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down No Cruise Control!!!

My cruise control went out a few weeks ago and isn't a fuse unfortunatly, I put a potentiometer in and it worked great for a few months and a few weeks ago it died, any ideas???
Old 02-13-2008, 12:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Is there any clicking or funny noises when you turn the wheel? The clockspring seems to be the number one culprit, switches second...
Old 02-13-2008, 04:15 PM

no clicking
Old 02-13-2008, 08:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
From what I've read around, if the clockspring goes, then so does the horn.

Does the horn still work?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:13 PM

Oh yea tested my horn and front bumper on friday when a mustang shot out in front of me, bumper and horn worked flawlessly, mustang is gonna be in need of a new bumper but who cares it just scratched mine i just laughed and jumped in the truck and was on my way, I use the horn every day with all the idiotsdrivein around this town and at school, Ill check my switches and see if they are gettin power
Old 02-14-2008, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my cruise took a dump as well, it'll go on for about 3 or 4 seconds then just quits, would it going on then shutting off right away be my clock spring, switches or vaccum pump? all i do is travel and i need this cruise fixed, any opinions and ideas are much appericated!!
Old 02-14-2008, 10:19 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

93Beater:
The cruise receives input from the VSS via the pcm and has two forms of control.. the actual throttle control is vacuum actuated, and the "brain" is electronic.
If its coming on, then shutting off, i would lean towards the electrical side of things.
There is a yellow plastic box behind the dash just to the drivers side of the ashtray, that is the electrical control of the cruise.. check you connections there and the ground.
You can eliminate the clockspring as the culprit by checking your horn and turn signals, if they work , odds are the clockspring is OK.
A vacuum problem will show itself in your brakes and in the amount of smoke/blowby coming from the crankcase vent tube.

Is the POT functioning OK? I guess you could have inadvertently caused a problem with the wiring harness going to the Cruise Control module under the dash while fishing the POT wires through, but the two aren't directly related.. the PCM will shut down the cruise when OD is shut off..

the wiring diagram for a 91 is posted in the Stickey, i'd check your wiring and grounds first...
Old 02-14-2008, 10:29 AM

thanks chrisreyn! so just to clarify, i crawl under my dash, find the yellow box, check all my wires are solid and ground is good?
Old 02-14-2008, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by 93beater
thanks chrisreyn! so just to clarify, i crawl under my dash, find the yellow box, check all my wires are solid and ground is good?
well...yea.. I'd take a look at the wiring diagram for the 91 that is in the stickey( it is the same as ours except for a very few minor changes) first tho and check the harness and such..may not do any good, but its a cheap place to start!
If thats not it, I'd get teh old test light out and start tracing the harness from teh fuse block, to teh switch to teh control module etc etc until I foudn where my problem was..

on edit... I am assuming you've already visuallyinspected all teh wires and vacuum lines already first? remember, always look to the simple things first...
Old 02-15-2008, 08:20 AM

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
I had a situation where the clock-spring failed,
my horn still worked but cruise control didn't.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:01 AM

I had a problem with my cruise control and charging system before, it would quit working intermittedly. I never found the problem, but my guess is it was losing the ground connection. I tried checking all connections, and have no real conclusive or obvious loose wires. After spending about 4 hours on trying to chase the lost ground it just started working consistently for no reason, not had a problem for 4 years on it again. Sorry I have no answer for you.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
93Beater:
The cruise receives input from the VSS via the pcm and has two forms of control.. the actual throttle control is vacuum actuated, and the "brain" is electronic.
If its coming on, then shutting off, i would lean towards the electrical side of things.
There is a yellow plastic box behind the dash just to the drivers side of the ashtray, that is the electrical control of the cruise.. check you connections there and the ground.
You can eliminate the clockspring as the culprit by checking your horn and turn signals, if they work , odds are the clockspring is OK.
A vacuum problem will show itself in your brakes and in the amount of smoke/blowby coming from the crankcase vent tube.

Is the POT functioning OK? I guess you could have inadvertently caused a problem with the wiring harness going to the Cruise Control module under the dash while fishing the POT wires through, but the two aren't directly related.. the PCM will shut down the cruise when OD is shut off..

the wiring diagram for a 91 is posted in the Stickey, i'd check your wiring and grounds first...

How would one tell if this is the case? My truck has a faint haze/smoke coming out of the breather pipe when its warm
Old 02-15-2008, 01:58 PM

Zarrin, search " excessive blow-by" and there are a couple threads about it if I remember correctly.. a slight haze is normal....