1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

No A/C and 80deg weather! - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the PCM. I'll go yank the CPS from that parts truck and gap it right and see what happens.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:29 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I wonder if your refrigerant has leaked out over the winter? Happens pretty easy with R134. (smaller molecule)
Old 03-10-2005, 10:38 PM

No, the compressor won't kick on. Ever since I bypassed the Voltage Regulator in the PCM and ran the external voltage regulator.

PCM controls AC, among other things....how retarded.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:47 PM

Actually, the CSS controls it all, nothing works without it. Alt, cruise, O/D if so equipped. So if the CSS doesn't send a signal to the PCM that the crank is turning, as far as the PCM is concerned, you motor isn't running so there is no need to energize anything. Did the wires get ripped out at the top? If so, there's where the trouble likely is. One wire goes straight through on the pins - sockets, the other two reverse. Drove me nuts for a few minutes when I had to redo mine.

PS. A friend of my best bud is a Dodge service manager. When I had my trouble, I was going to buy a CSS. He told me that in 15 years as a Dodge serviceman he had only seen one go bad. Told me to check my wires and that was the likely cause. My wire were bared and shorting on the CSS side of the 3 pin plug. If I had bought a new one, it would have cured my problem, but the CSS wasn't the problem. It was the wiring. Still trying to locate FSM . Rick
Old 03-10-2005, 10:51 PM

Wires got ripped up right near the actual CPS... I've tried to rewire 3 times. I don't even remember what the wires looked like, but I talked about it in another thread on here. One was black with a white tracer I think, and yadda yadda.

i'm just going to get the other CPS with the plus and everything and call it a day.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:55 PM

OOOPs, posted right through ya. Yep, if they're torn at the bottom, you might as well. Lot less hassle. Good luck.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:23 PM

I need the AC cycling switch.

Originally Posted by Den
I don't think the computer has any effect on the A/C. If you see "heater" in the pinout for the computer they mean the intake heaters. At least not in the 91.5

Check the fuses. Check the connection to the compressor behind/under the alternator. Check the connector a bit up the line from that near the air box. It's for the A/C and Alt.

If you have a small black box on the side of the expansion valve (on firewall in engine compartment I would do the following. Check the 3 pin connector going to the cycling switch (black box)

On the other side of the expansion valve there should be a round sensor that is the low pressure cutoff switch. Take the connector off and with the AC button on jump the connections in the plug with a paper clip and see if the compressor kicks on. If it does, the sensor is bad.

If that's ok take a meter and check the leads in the plug. One of the wires (blue w/orange in my 91.5) should have power when the A/C switch is off and 0 volts when it's on. If it does the controls inside are working fine.

If that's ok it may be the black box which is the electronic clutch cycling relay (thermo) which has a probe in the a/c line. This detects if the line is too cold and cycles the engagment of the compressor.

Mines flaky and I just ordered one. On mine the relay works inside (I broke it open) but the connections are toasted. Not avail in the parts stores that I checked. Ordered the chrysler part online for around $40 the other day. The part number was still on the side of the box and it's a chrysler number..not dodge. On mine it was Chrysler part #56005783. I can steer you in the right direction via PM for the place to get it online if you need it.

Other than that there isn't much to it besides checking the compressor itself to see if the coil is ok. Should show continuity from connetor to connector. There is also a diode in that connector.

Den
I see that you have found a AC cycling switch. Can you lead me the the website or something so I can buy one!! Thank you
Old 08-03-2016, 08:46 PM

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathan fulps
I see that you have found a AC cycling switch. Can you lead me the the website or something so I can buy one!! Thank you
You better break out your Ouija board, as the dude hasn't even stepped foot on this site since 2011.

last post on this thread was in 2005, so maybe a different approach is necessary.

uh... like google..

https://www.google.com/search?q=1992...itch.&tbm=shop