1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Newbie QUE here trying to decide.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie QUE here trying to decide.

Well I have red alot of posts and all the stick stuff plus more but still trying to decide what year CTD to run in my project.

My first post will explain https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=112007

I have been gathering parts for the past year and designing a chassis. I have over 60 hours on the chassis design.

I am this far already

I have the axles 2 Front Rockwell 2 1/2 tons already preped for the rig. tires and wheels 44" Super Swampers and some modded Humvee Beadlock wheels ( military version). The Tranny is done I am going to run a GM powerglide 2 speeder built to handle 800 ponys, I am guessing around 750 lb-ft.

SO I am asking what year should we go with I am asking here because I can get a gen 1 with 45,000 miles on it for 1800 bucks. in a running driving truck.

I was looking at gen 2s but I really didn't want all the electronics that are associated with them mainly because of the enviornment the engine will live in, mud, water, basicly nasty stuff.

So I am open to suggestions and will listen and hopfully not get flamed to much. I just now starting to read up.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:15 AM

If you want to keep it simple and easy to clean a non-intercooled engine would be best, 1989 to '90.5(?) I think.

A decent first gen with 45,000 miles for $1800!!! You better grab that fast.

JP.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:36 AM

If nothing else, resell the 45K mile 1st gen and have a little extra cash on hand.
There is something that you need to keep in mind. Those rockies are going to be 7.13 geared, and that is not much. With room for 5 people, you will have more than enough room for a doubler or "black box" or some other gear lowering device.

You are not going to be happy with an engine that only turns 3K rpm. You aren't going to go anywhere. To use a 6bt you should consider mounting in a second transfer case backwards to "up-gear" your driveline. I am only running 5.38 gears and I bounce of the limiter in my EFI 350 all the time.

I would stay away from the powerglide for your application also. use a 727 or a gm400.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:36 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Get a non intercooled truck and run the 727 from that.

If you gut the shutoff solenoid and use a pull cable shutoff, you only need an electrical system to start the engine. They don't get simpler than that.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:31 PM

The Rocks are 6.72:1 ratio and I am planning on a atlas 4 speed box with the 44s it should be in a decent rpm range up to 3400 max rpm. I figured on the powerglide since 1 I already have it and 2 it'll take a beating. The trans is a dedenbear case 180/10 clutch with ultrabell on it I had it from our drag racing days, but on the other hand it is a 3500 dollar tranny I could sell it and get a 400 that will bolt up from a 4bt bread truck, very easy swap then. thanks fellas i will consider it why would you run a 400 over a glide anyway? more selection?
Old 10-10-2007, 12:55 PM

It is all going to depend on what you want to do with the rig.

Have you wheeled before? How are you going to wheel now?

Putting a motor that heavy and that rpm restricted in a wheeling rig is going to really limit where you go and what you do.

Remember that you are going to multiply engine torque when it goes through the trans and transfer case.

I have seen a pretty muck stock GM350 break axles on a rockwell before due to gear reduction.

If you want to do it, just to do it, put the Cummins in. Just don't be surprised by the amount of parts you will break.

I suggested the 400 over the powerglide from a gear selection standpoint.

Here is a pic of a buddy's rig that sounds similar to what you are wanting to build.

More pics of this rig here
http://dallask5.com/BUBBA.html
Even more at the site in my sig if you want to see them
Old 10-12-2007, 12:35 AM

yes I have wheeled quit a bit actually I have not in the past couple of years because of kids and new house but yes. I have a YJ on 1tons I am finishing up right now. Just looking ahead and I collecting parts for the next project since the end is near on the Jeep. I will keep the jeep for other reasons but I do relize anything is breakable. In referance to the Rockwells.