1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Newbie Looking for info

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Newbie Looking for info

In the next couple months I'm going to start looking for a pre 94 1st gen dodge ctd. I curentally have a diesel VW rabbit Pickup which has been treating me great but at 5'10" its a little bit too small for me on the longer trips. Also I'm running into times where it just can't haul what I want. I have always liked the 1st gen ctd so thats what I'm looking to move into now that the commute isn't as far as before. My first question has to do with the Trans. I prefer Manual tranny's over the Automatics. Are there any big problems with either? From my limited browsing around this seems to be the problem area for these trucks. Second What do I need to be looking at when Buy a 1st gen? any major problem areas that should concern me? High miles(how high is too high)? Is there a post somewhere that talks about what to look for on a prebuy? Hope to be spending some more time here. Thanks in advance, Marvin
Old 12-27-2005, 10:13 PM

The 5 speed getrag is the only real weak link in the first gen standards, its main problem is a nut that works loose, it can be fixed. As with any truck a carefull look over is wise. There are guys with 300k miles and still going strong. They are a good tough truck, the engine will outlast the truck in most cases.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:12 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I went to the VADynoDay couple months back and one of the members put his stock first gen on and turned 138 hp to the back tires. It had 750,000 original miles on it at the time. The best owners keep records of everything done to their vehicles. If there are not records then take it for a drive and ask if the owner would mind if you took it to a mechanic to look it over. There are a lot of "Slick *******" out there so buyer beware.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:56 AM

I think everyone here that has a getrag has it overfilled by at least a quart to provide lubrication to the input shaft bearings. The NV4500 in the 94 and up trucks have the 5th gear nut problem, not the getrag.

The autos are a pretty solid unit. A good torque converter is the key to getting the power to the ground as they don't have any lockup clutches. Along with a shift kit.

If your in the rust belt check the body/bed for rust/rot. Check cab roof by the gutter for rust, some of them rot right through the roof.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:18 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're real patient and not on a time crunch you may find one with gauges and the kdp already done and if it has that it probably has other upgrades as well, they surface from time to time. One identical to mine just sold on ebay, it had most of the usual upgrades plus leather buckets out of a 2001 ctd, very nice truck, heck, i should of bought it. To add to the above list of things to watch out for, don't buy one without the factory tail gate thinking it'll be no biggy to find another, add points for good headliner without sagging and a grill that has no cracks.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:07 PM

I was looking at that one on ebay. It was white and gray. Sweet ride and it closed at like 7200 which seemed cheap too me. I have plenty of time and the longer I wait the more money I have to spend for the right truck. whats KDP?
Old 12-28-2005, 12:10 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MoparMarv
I was looking at that one on ebay. It was white and gray. Sweet ride and it closed at like 7200 which seemed cheap too me. I have plenty of time and the longer I wait the more money I have to spend for the right truck. whats KDP?
KILLER DOWEL PIN! There are quite a few threads on that one. Put KPD in the search box ..............hit enter.
Check out the classifieds at the top of this page for some truck buys.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:08 PM

Kdp

Is the KDP an easy fix? Or is it a massive project? Is it bad when it breaks or falls out? Probally going to do the work myself. I'll have a look around on it. Thanks