1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

new user, need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation new user, need help

Hey guys im a first year apprentice heavy duty mechanic. and I just got my self a fairly nice 1st gen 92 5.9 cummins diesel. my dad is a long time user of this site but im new and I don't always know what you all are talking about. I have the same speedo problems as most but I cant actually find out what a VSS is ? and also what is the word STICKY coming up so often for ?

also since I am a first time diesel owner, I have no clue were to get any of the aftermarket parts for my truck, I want an hx 35, but ebay looks unreliable. also I want and exhaust and some injectors, but I just don't have a clue as to were to get these things for my 92 dodge.

ALSO I have a RAM 250. whats is a W250 and what is the difrence ?
thanks
Old 06-24-2013, 10:21 PM

Welcome to DTR. The vss is the vehicle speed sensor it is on the trans or transfer case if your rig is 4wd. The sticky is the thread at the top of the first gen forum. It has a lot of good info in there check it out here https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...t-t102027.html.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:04 AM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Welcome to the Board!! I know how you feel. When I bought my cummins crewcab I knew very little about these motors and drivetrain......Steep learning curve that's for sure.

Yup some of our common abbreviations for things can get confusing. Don't worry about asking...we all had to learn at some time.

A D250 refers to a 2wd 3/4 ton truck. A W250 is a 4wd 3/4 ton truck.

I find Rockauto to be a great resource for parts for our trucks. I also use it to research parts and part numbers.

E-bay can be a great place to find stuff too. Don't be afraid to make purchases. Maybe start small and work your way up tot he bigger stuff. I've been buying stuff off e-bay for many many years....with only a couple major problems with all the buying and selling I've done.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:48 AM
Unless it's untaxed, then it's red.

You should consider going over the other systems on the truck before adding a turbo and injectors.

If it were me...
Change every fluid, including axles, transmission, transfer case, brakes and coolant. Chances are its original stuff in there. All filters too, air, oil, fuel, transmission.
Since you are in school this will be good practice and it will familiarize you with your truck. Sadly, depending on what quality fluids you put back in, this could set you back 2-500 bucks.
Take your wheels off and have a good look at the brakes. Don't forget hoses and lines.
Pack every grease nipple with nice fresh grease. The little nipples are hidden everywhere!
Learn what a KDP is and what needs to be done about it. (Look in the sticky)
Install an EGT gauge (exhaust gas temperature) before you put in injectors so you can watch things.

This is just me of course. I would rather get where I'm going with less power, than have a ton of power and be stuck in the side of the road with a seized rotor or smoked trans fluid.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:25 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by #2isgreen
You should consider going over the other systems on the truck before adding a turbo and injectors.

If it were me...
Change every fluid, including axles, transmission, transfer case, brakes and coolant. Chances are its original stuff in there. All filters too, air, oil, fuel, transmission.
Since you are in school this will be good practice and it will familiarize you with your truck. Sadly, depending on what quality fluids you put back in, this could set you back 2-500 bucks.
Take your wheels off and have a good look at the brakes. Don't forget hoses and lines.
Pack every grease nipple with nice fresh grease. The little nipples are hidden everywhere!
Learn what a KDP is and what needs to be done about it. (Look in the sticky)
Install an EGT gauge (exhaust gas temperature) before you put in injectors so you can watch things.

This is just me of course. I would rather get where I'm going with less power, than have a ton of power and be stuck in the side of the road with a seized rotor or smoked trans fluid.
Very well said...I have to concur with his statements.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by #2isgreen

Hey now, I've set on the side of the road for almost those exact reasons except it was a toasted main and counter shaft in the Trans