1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

new truck confusion.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question new truck confusion.

I just bought a 1993 w250 from ebay. The PO had recently put in a 50,000 mile engine in along with a rebuilt trassmision and a heavy duty torque converter. The engine in it now is a 90? with a banks kit? or is it? The turbo is wastegated and intercooled, it has a 4 " exhaust, k & N filter (dirty).

see photos in my member gallery.

I drove it home 500 miles without problem, it start instantly, has very clean oil , has enough power to cruise over the grapevine at 70. (CA, somewhat steep incline) but it only shows the boost reaching 14 -16 psi. EGT never got over 900 the whole 500 miles even when visiting 90 mph from a stop.

Is it running right at that boost level? with the mods in the photo's? It's quite a bit slower than the v8 tundra it's replacing. I would like to turn up the pump a little but i don't know what else I should be looking for as problems or solutions on this mongrel truck.

Any one know any good shops in LA to look it over? or a member? I'll pay.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2005, 10:25 PM

First might I say, thats a sharp looking truck, rims and all. And although my word may not mean much, I'm going to guess by saying that the replacement engine that was a 90 could mean the turbine housing is the 20.5cm which means the boost will be fairly low because of slow spool up. So you're psi is probably about right on the money and normal.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:50 PM

I think that's a 14 cm2 housing. There would be no reason to wastegate a 21 or 18. 14-16 lbs of boost is normal for a stock truck ( injectors and inj. pump). You are comparing apples to oranges if you think that the diesel should take off like the tundra. Put a load on the cummins and you'll see the difference. Sweet lookin truck.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:51 PM

you might want to oil up that air filter.

the boost sounds fine the wastegate is preventing it from going any higher. if you want more you can adjust when the wastegate kicks in, more fuel couldnt hurt.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:13 PM

Should I tighten down the wastegate first? Fool with the pump? or do it all at once.
I'm leary of messing around from ping fear ( I have a turbo miata running more boost than it should.)
This is my first diesel so I'm in the dark about when or if things will go bang. With gas turbos the line can be very fine.

is that a 14 cm turbo? how far should i tighten the wastegate rod? Reading about fussing with the pump seems like I need 10 hands to push this and pull that. oh well, I'll get use to it.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
fyi, my stock 1990 was pushing 22-25 psi boost with the stock turbo and settings I have a friend with the banks kit and he said his boost dropped to 17psi max. if it was me i would turn the magic screw a little
your diesel will not ping but if you give it to much fuel she will get real hot if you tow.
fill out your sig. so we will know in the future what your mods are and can help you out a little better
Robert
Old 03-26-2005, 12:35 AM

if the banks kit lowers the boost so much, how does it make more power?
Is it all up to improved exhaust flow and a cooled intake charge?
is the boost loss all in the intercooler? or is it in the small turbine housing?
Will having the banks pieces installed affect how i should turn up the pump?

thanks for your quick replys.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's not the quantity of boost (to a point) but rather the quality. More boost does not always equal more power. And, in the case of your banks 14cm housing, the boost will be there MUCH quicker than with the huge housing it had from the factory. Those that are more heavily fueled on this board are eaither shelling out the bucks for the 14 or wishing they had! The 'fine line' you speak of with turboed gassers is more of a blurry line with a compression ignition engine. Others will chime in, but for the record, I'd love to have your setup---it's a great point to build from and I think you could be happy with it up to some pretty fun horsepower ratings---enjoy!
greg
Old 03-26-2005, 09:54 AM

I'm new myself, and I have a banks (at least it's badged) but I wouldn't know if I actually have anything on there or not.

I looked at the engine and nothing marks it as a Banks... The badge says Banks Power Pack. What the heck is that?
Old 03-26-2005, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree that the turbo looks like a 14cm - the wastegate actuator is in a slightly different position than mine. How much turbo lag are you feeling? When I put the 14cm on turbo lag seemed to disapear - realistically it was probably about 1 sec. With the factory set up it was about 3 sec. I've set my wastegate to be fully open at 34 psi which shows up as 32 psi on the gauge. You might want to test the intercooler connections to make sure they are not leaking. Mine were leaking like a seive after 5 years on the truck.

Are you reading EGT's post or pre turbo?

I believe that the '90s still used the 9mm injectors which lead to some head cracking - others can jump in here. Thats the down side - the up side is that pump tweaks coupled with proper setting of the pump timing should equal more power. The Banks kit recomends some pump tweaks after installation.

Bob
Old 03-26-2005, 11:10 AM

The EGT gauge looks like its hooked up before the turbo.
The turbo does spool quickly, much faster than 3 seconds.
After I replace the k&n filter with a paper bhaf (the truck will spend most of it's time on dirt road out around Joshua Tree CA) I'll begin fooling around with the pump.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:26 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Looks like the pump has had some "fooling around with", by the scratched off paint. Might be ready for injectors to take advantage of the mods you have.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:09 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome!! Nice to see new CTD fanatics Your #`s sound about right. Nice looking truck, I remember seeing it on ebay, best of luck with it.