1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

New truck!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Those lines are awfully big to be a bypass filter system, is there an oil filter still in the factory location or a block off plate?

Is that $ USD or $ Canadian?

Jim
Well to the best of my knowledge its a bypass system and I believe there is a block off plate the guy works loong hours and prefers to change oil this way so basically ease of use
Old 01-17-2012, 03:34 PM

I'm just mystified that you can get a loan on a vehicle that old. The banks here balk at anything more than 5 years old and I have very good credit. Are you using a credit union or a regular bank? It does appear to be a nice truck and if the bottom is as nice as the top then I would feel fine buying it for that dollar amount. The quad headlights have lots of potential too. Go through some of Jim Lane's write-ups on 1st gen improvements and it could be an amazing ride.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The paint job looks a little rough, like it needs to be wet sanded or something. but it doesn't seem like too bad of a truck for the price. I would buy it if you can.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:53 PM

Judging by the big gap between the body and the front bumper. I'd guess and say it has a body lift. so check that out real good, make sure they didn't use HOCKEY pucks as the spacers for the body

Old 01-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ Turbo.
Well to the best of my knowledge its a bypass system and I believe there is a block off plate the guy works loong hours and prefers to change oil this way so basically ease of use
#1) If there is a spin on adapter where the factory filter used to go and the 2 big oil lines go to the end of it then the filter was relocated to the fender and it is a full flow system with added capacity.

#2) If the factory filter is still there and one of the new filter lines goes to the top of the filter housing and the other drains back to the pan somewhere then it is a bypass system. Old truckers usually added these to their trucks and swore by them, think Luberfiner, Frantz.

A bypass filter only takes a small percent of the oil at each pass and cleans it, some T.P. bypass filters have been known to remove the detergents and additives from the oil leaving it useless especially on a diesel.

I think your filters were reolcated.

Jim
Old 01-17-2012, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I have to say that I really do like the looks of that flatbed! My kid has his heart set on the 1st gen also and has found one but the bed is rough..That flat Bed is nice alternitive!!
Old 01-17-2012, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by jstone44720
I'm just mystified that you can get a loan on a vehicle that old. The banks here balk at anything more than 5 years old and I have very good credit. Are you using a credit union or a regular bank? It does appear to be a nice truck and if the bottom is as nice as the top then I would feel fine buying it for that dollar amount. The quad headlights have lots of potential too. Go through some of Jim Lane's write-ups on 1st gen improvements and it could be an amazing ride.
BMO said that I can get it and yea brandon it does need a lil touching up but I'm not gonna complain and now that u say that it does appear to have a lift and I will make double sure its done right but hockey pucks work right? Jim which is better then? And schoust I like its looks too looks tough and able to take some abuse!
Old 01-17-2012, 10:09 PM

keep the dual filters just change them to Baldwin the more the merrier in my books . and the quad lights are cool build your self a new custom bumper and your looking sweet ....
Old 01-17-2012, 10:40 PM

Yea the filter system I'll likely leave or update and no way its going back to a 93 grill and a custom front bumper will be on the agenda fo sure!
Old 01-17-2012, 11:18 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
why not leave the grill? something different, makes people look twice. i like it
Old 01-18-2012, 06:24 AM

You're gonna have to change the whole rad support to put a 93 grille back on it probably. Unless he put a 70's grille on a 93 rad support,which would be crazy.

Didn't they have a Quad and Dual headlight option? I think the Dual headlights would look better than quad on that year grille.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
You're gonna have to change the whole rad support to put a 93 grille back on it probably. Unless he put a 70's grille on a 93 rad support,which would be crazy.

Didn't they have a Quad and Dual headlight option? I think the Dual headlights would look better than quad on that year grille.
The quad light option was in 79 and i think carried over into 1980 as well.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:01 PM

I'm going to find out whether the rad support was changed or not I hope it wasnt!
Old 01-19-2012, 01:07 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by jstone44720
Credit union's the way to go. I wanted a bass boat, talked to the bank to get "pre-approved", jumping through hoops and signing release forms for a month. When I found an 18 year old boat that was pristine, the bank then informed me they don't make loans on used boats.

I used their durned 22% credit card based cash advance system to get the boat, then walked into the credit union, hat in hand, hoping to start a relationship.

I walked out with the check for the boat in hand. I moved all my banking to the credit union, on my own, after the fact. It was not required to get the loan.

A week later a bank manager called me and asked my to move back. I laughed till I got sick. I doubt that he got the message.

A year later I got strung out a bit too far at tax time, and asked the credit union to raise my credit card limit. I was questioned about the situation, then given an unsecured note loan for 3 months, which is exactly what I needed. Rate was 10%, cost was minimal.

BTW, the cash advance from the credit union credit card I used to buy my truck and RV is costing 10%.

I'm sure my "credit score" is pretty well in the pits. I don't use credit cards much, and currently have no formal car or toy loans, nor do I have a home loan. Doesn't matter when you work with real people.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:33 PM

Looks like it has a 3'' body lift.

Quick Reply: New truck!!