1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

New Seats.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 06:19 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
looking good already. one of the many projects on my wishlist. mine's a single cab though. not sure of any differences between it and club cab. can't wait to see it come together! keep us updated!
Old 09-24-2009, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Oliver92, I thought he was talking about Moosehead beer! I guess not. Can't feed a family on that! I to am watching this. I would like to come up with some nice seats for my crewcab rebuild.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:17 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, I got both the driver and passenger side seats in tonight and the power run. Still gotta install the center section but I was dinking around with wiring up the stereo amp and ran out of daylight (and Mama's patience). I sat in them for just a minute and they feel very nice. They also make me sit up quite a bit higher....

I'll probably finish up tomorrow and snap a few more pics. Then, I'll tear into the dash for a few more wires to play with.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:54 PM

Talking Anyone need a 1st Gen Bench seat????

Well, I finally got the project done today. WOW! What a difference. The new seats defiantly sit higher but even at 6'2" they aren't too tall. I even have to slide the seat forward a bit to disengage thew clutch completely. Power seats even work well!

As promised here's a few pics.

Viewed from the driver's door.

New Seats.-new-seat-installed-lh.jpg

Viewed from the passenger door. The seat actually slides a bit further forward than pictured and makes for easy access to the back seats. I can climb in fairly easily if needed....

New Seats.-new-seat-installed-rh.jpg

And as a bonus, I no longer need the old school 1st Gen cup holder.

New Seats.-old-cup-holder.jpg

I got some new ones.........

New Seats.-cup-holder.jpg

The next phase is to fine a new seat setup for the back so the kids can face forward. I might be able to spin the jump seats and relocate the seat belts but, I'm gonna look at some of the back seats out of the mini-pickups and see what I can come up with...... Not for a while though. I really need to get the yard and house ready for winter......
Old 09-25-2009, 05:01 PM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
hey marc, did you fab those front brackets as well or just the rear? also, geno's garage has these cup holders that slip into the center console storage box. you wouldn't have to reach to the floor with these lol

Dodge Truck Cup Holder
Old 09-25-2009, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by jimbo486
hey marc, did you fab those front brackets as well or just the rear? also, geno's garage has these cup holders that slip into the center console storage box. you wouldn't have to reach to the floor with these lol

Dodge Truck Cup Holder
Nope. The rears were made as such that the original seat mounts from the 2nd gen could be used without modification.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the pics. I think I am going to have to look for new seats. I most compelling aurgument is your statement that you can sit in there, even at 6'2". Well, that is how tall I am and I have wondered if the seats would be too tall.

Thanks for the write up!
Old 09-25-2009, 07:29 PM

After the first run down the highway I really like the new feel of the ride. Much smoother than the old bouncy bench.

Originally Posted by HappyCamper
Thanks for the pics. I think I am going to have to look for new seats. I most compelling aurgument is your statement that you can sit in there, even at 6'2". Well, that is how tall I am and I have wondered if the seats would be too tall.
I was worried about the height initially as well but I just dove in and did it and it all worked out well in the end. If I were a better welder, (I'm the kind of welder that they invented the grinder for........) I would have cut down the brackets an inch or two and felt better at the beginning of this project. But in the end it's nor really needed.

Originally Posted by HappyCamper
Thanks for the write up!
I don't know that its much of a write up but thanks anyway. I'll be happy to answer anyone's questions if I can.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:56 PM

OK so after almost a month I still like the seats however there is one small problem........

Frost heaves in the road along with a foo foo coffee for the wife one day made a mess all over the freshly shampooed carpet....... Cause, the cup holder doesn't extend far enough to let the contents sit correctly.

The cup holder was originally designed for use by the rear passengers in the donor truck but I just rotated it 180* and had it come out front. It bolted on using the center section mount bolts. At a glance, it all looked good. In actual trials, not so much.

New Seats.-cup-holder-bad.jpg

But wait! A solution......

The center section seat frame is all sheet metal and easily drilled. I simply removed the center, turned it over and used a few self tapping screws and moved the cup holder mount forward about 2.5 inches.

New Seats.-cup-holder-good.jpg
Much better...

Maybe I can keep the coffee off the floor now......
Old 10-13-2009, 02:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great

Whats that mount ?? did you make that?

I wonder if the 2nd gen seats could possibly be mounted on the Stock bench frame??? but take out all the spring of course.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son

Whats that mount ?? did you make that?
The cup holder mount?

Came off the center section I got. IIRC it was from an '01 but it mounts using the bolts that hold the center to the L& R seat frames. Fit right on the set off the '94 I used.

Originally Posted by Crossy's son

I wonder if the 2nd gen seats could possibly be mounted on the Stock bench frame??? but take out all the spring of course.
I originally though about using the 1st gen floor pan mounts and fabing some square tube to bolt to them and mount the seats to the square tube but then the seats wouldn't be adjustable other than the seat backs...... It would be fairly simple. The seats themselves are bolted to the frames with 4 bolts apiece.....
Old 10-13-2009, 05:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nevermind i went back and looked at how you made the mount that runs across the back

Looks good