1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

New Seats.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 07:27 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
New Seats.

Just picked up a set of 2nd gen 40/20/40s for $75. Not too bad. The Driver side is even power! They need a bit of cleaning and the brackets need wire brushed and repainted but still seems like a steal to me. I'm gonna disassemble them and toss the covers in the wash. They may still end up with a seat cover but we'll see.

I've been searching the archives and I know they require a bit of fab work but has anyone got any other tips for me? I'm over 6' tall so I'd like to keep them as low as possible. Pics would be nice if you have any.

TIA!
Old 09-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put some in a 91 reg cab, and it was pretty straightforward. I used the 94 brackets, and did some custom fab work in the rear to get it right. Seems like I used 3/4x1-1/2 square tubing, drilled holes so it'd fit the seat and floor. Sorry, no pics, and I no longer have the truck. I have long legs, so being able to sit with my knees out of my face was the concern.

If I had it to do over, I'd run some square tubing along the width of the seat front and back, then use the 1stGen seat-to-floor mounts. I've seen it done before.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:43 PM

I recently put a set of seats out of a 06 in my 92, they set high in th back so i trimmed the brackets down and leveled them up, they turned out real nice..
Old 09-02-2009, 12:47 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your Tall like me then you will want the seat a little higher then stock gives better leg room what I did on my other truck was redrill the mounting holes and used a grade 5 bolt worked out Great .
Old 09-02-2009, 04:17 PM

Thanks guys!

I'll be working on this project when I get back from vacation. Perhaps with a few pics. I have an Idea that might work out pretty well.......

So far thou, I have disassembled the seats and removed the covers and laundered them. Should get the covers back on in a bit. They came out looking like new!

Keep this in mind though.......

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...&postcount=216
Old 09-02-2009, 10:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've always wanted to see 94-97 40/20/40 seats in a 1st gen, they're comfortable and have the big console... the 98+ seats i don't like as much because they're hard as a brick and have that goofy upholstery that looks like digi-camo or something

do the seats you got have the built in seat belts or no? i think the quad cab trucks had the seats with the built in seat belts and regular cab 2nd gens and club cabs got the normal seats where the seat belt is on the pillar
Old 09-04-2009, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son

do the seats you got have the built in seat belts or no? i think the quad cab trucks had the seats with the built in seat belts and regular cab 2nd gens and club cabs got the normal seats where the seat belt is on the pillar
No built in seatbelts. The female sides are attached to the seat frames but they still need the inertia reals mounted to the cab.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:19 AM

OK. So the install has been a little slow, but it's getting there. Unfortunatley there wasn't time for some pics but there wasn't much to look at anyways that hasn't been seen.

I ended up building some simple brackets to accound for the different mounting brackets and floor pans. Pretty simple really. and I'll get a pic or 2 before I bolt the seats on. I ended up drilling some new holes for each mount point but it came out pretty decent so far.

I'd be done but I just had to go shoot a moose so I'm a bit behind schedule......

I had a bit of surface rust in the floor pan that needed a bit of care bit I got that done as well as running the wires for my stereo, amp and subs. I also ran the wires for the power driver's seat.

On that note, any suggestions on the size fuse for the seat motors. I will be running the power off a relay.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:21 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I think 20 amps will do.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:19 PM

i do so enjoy reading the posts here from all walks of life and usually get a laugh from things i have been through myself or am about to do..i wonder though why shooting a moose would be more important than fixing your seats
i dont think even if i had a deer running around me butting me in the backside i would take time out from my rig to blast him...not making fun just the way it was posted it really made my night..hopefully its not a need food in dire straights kind of thing...good luck with the seats and post pics if ya can as im in the search to do the same thing you are just havent found the right color seats as of yet
Old 09-23-2009, 08:22 PM

got some pics?
Old 09-23-2009, 09:24 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
On that note, any suggestions on the size fuse for the seat motors. I will be running the power off a relay.

As Wanna said a 20 will do, but go with a circuit breaker.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
I think 20 amps will do.
Thanks Wanna.

Originally Posted by oilcan64
got some pics?
Of the Moose or the seats......

Originally Posted by oliver92
i dont think even if i had a deer running around me butting me in the backside i would take time out from my rig to blast him...not making fun just the way it was posted it really made my night..hopefully its not a need food in dire straights kind of thing...good luck with the seats and post pics if ya can as im in the search to do the same thing you are just havent found the right color seats as of yet
No dire straights here but a moose if done right will feed my family all winter long and be a bit cheaper than beef. Plus I've always wanted to get one.

As for the pics, they will be forth coming...... I still have a bit of work to do.....
Old 09-24-2009, 02:08 PM

Sneak peak........

Here's a sneak peak at what I came up with to mount the 2nd gen seats to a 1st gen floor pan.

#1 forget the original holes.

#2 the new brackets are mounted just in front of the hump where the center seat belts mount to.

#3 1 of the new holes catches the original body rib for strength and another hits the reinforcement for the seat belts.

I'll post a pic when it's approved.....
Old 09-24-2009, 04:30 PM

Here's a pic.

New Seats.-seat-mount-2.jpg

Quick Reply: New Seats.